Returning to school after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

My 14-yr-old son will be having his aortic valve replaced in early August. Does anyone have any thoughts on how he will feel when it is time for school to start again, about three weeks later? He is asymptotic and in good physical condition, so I'm hopeful his recovery will go well. We are prepared to make sure someone else is carrying his backpack for him, but would love other insights on how he may be feeling.

Obviously everyone is different, but I would seriously consider it unlikely he would be feeling up to returning to school only three weeks after surgery, even with someone carrying stuff for him. People get very tired post surgery and it is that which may mean he won't be up to speck so soon after surgery. Even if he is asymptomatic now (I was asymptomatic pre surgery…mind you I'm older !). You may find you have to take things day by day. You should get advice from his cardiac surgeon and cardiologist.

Most adults are out 6-8 weeks. Asymptomatic before surgery has no bearing on how a patient will recover.

I am fairly young (42) and was in excellent health prior to surgery. I was still napping mid-morning and mid-afternoon at 3 weeks post surgery. The medication made me very tired. Additionally, most schools have a lot of walking between classes. I don't know how large the school is, but this is something to consider. I felt much better at 4-5 weeks out. If at all possible, might want to wait an extra week, or perhaps only attend half-day. For me, just taking a break to lay down for 30 minutes made a big difference as well. If he has free periods, he should request going to the nurse's office to rest.

I should add that I went back to work at 8 weeks. Prior to that time, the mental focus required for work or school may be tiring. Hence, the need for a break during the day.

I had OHS when I was 9 but I don't recall the dates. I had another when I was 28 which I had in December and was back at Uni (this is our summer holiday) for classes at the first week of Feb. I was living by my self and had to ride a motorbike to get to classes.

3 weeks after surgery I was still napping/dozing throughout the day, although I was walking up to a mile at a time. I had not had my post-op follow up with the surgeon yet, and was still trying to get my blood levels stable. I didn't start cardiac rehab for another 2.5 weeks.
BUT everyone is different!

You'll have to see how it goes. At 3 weeks, a full day may be too much, but perhaps a 1/2 day is a possibility, and perhaps he will be up to doing some of the work at home. In any case you want to make sure the focus is on his recovery first, and school second for the first couple months.

Who set your expectations that your son could go back to school after 3 weeks? Check your source.

I agree with all those comments above and will also add ability to think clearly and the emotional upset takes time to get back to normal.

Admittedly, I'm only five days post op, but the combination of the surgery and sleep issues has me pissed off at things that I normally let go, I cry at speeches at the DNC where I have never done that before, and it takes me twice as long to form a email of type a note. I don't know what kind of 14 year old your son is, but be prepared for a different kind of teenager until he heals, which may take 4 - 12 weeks.

Looks like we never heard back from her since that was posted last summer it looks like. I hope it worked out well for her son. But yes as everyone seeemd to agree, three weeeks is nowhere near enough time to fully recover no matter how healthy you are going into surgery. I was home from work for three months. Which allowed time for cardiac rehab as well as my rest and recovery, physically and mentally. Going back to work was an awful experience for me.

Latest posts

Back