Returned from Florida and update on my father

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolyn

parents are in Florida - I am in Northern VA
We are blessed to have my father because of the successful valve replacements and repairs in October. His Ejection Fraction is at 25% however, and his heart is weakening. While on the treadmill recently his ICD shocked his heart and knocked him off the treadmill. He recovered rather quickly and his cardiologist increased his heart medicine to help him live longer. I am grateful that I had the week to spend with him and my mother but he does not look as well as he did when I last visited in December. Does anyone know if there is a protocol for the end game with an ICD? In other words, will he continuously be shocked or will there come a time when the ICD does not respond to his heart failure? His mornings are far better than afternoons and evenings. There are times when his heart races, he doesn't feel well and I will never forget the confused look in his eyes during one of these episodes. Surprisingly his cardiologist has not said a thing regarding driving his car. Never the less my father takes every day as a gift and my mother continues to be his best buddy he protects even with lessening strength.

my ICD has revived me twice and I hope it will continue to do so .... The tollerence can be adjusted at each interogation and will be set differently for each patient both times that I recieved "therapy" I was not even aware of it as I was sitting or laying down and both times I felt better and energized ( pun not intended) when I came to .....

Thanks for the update, Carolyn. Perhaps the driving issue needs to be brought to the cardiologist's attention so you have a definitive answer regarding its advisibility?
So glad you had a chance to spend the week with them. My dad has been gone a long time, my mother too, and what I wouldn't give to have one more day in their company.

Hi Carolyn,
Thinking of you and hoping that all is well with dad.
Andrea

Latest posts

Back