Return of the Skipped Beats

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycake23

Two-time AVR Vet
Hello all,

I’ve been reading through the forum about PVCs and a-fib, because I am currently having an issue. I first got these skipped beats—heart stops for a second, then starts again with a thud—almost four years ago. Went to my electrophysiologist who put me on Tambocor twice a day. Up until a couple of days ago the skipped beats virtually disappeared. Thank you, Tambocor.

Well, for the last couple of weeks they have come back, first just a couple a day, which I ignored, but now it is full blown. Wife tells me it is just a my reaction to the terrible winter we’ve been having in Chicago, plus all the snow shoveling, plus my occasional trouble sleeping, plus my boredom at work (not stress, just no excitement). She tells me if I take off the weight that I recently packed on from this winter, that my skipped beats and my blood pressure—oh, yeah, my blood pressure is high too—should go back to normal.

I hope she’s right, of course. She’s a nurse, so she knows about the human body. But I’m leaning towards calling my electro doc to give me a once over. I wonder if he’ll just say, like so many of these postings have said, that it is not dangerous and something I just need to live with. But what if all I need is an adjustment to my dosage of Tambocor. Or worse, what if something is wrong with the valve. I’d rather want to know that now, no?

I haven't been able to find a reason they've come back, like some sort of reaction to a food or an event. They just came back.

Anyway, I hope I wake up tomorrow morning and all is functioning normal again. But any thoughts from my fellow AVR vets would be welcome. I sure hope it doesn’t sound like I’m being wimpy. Just a little spooked though.

Thanks and all the best.

Johnny

Johnny,

I've noticed my heart rate is much more consistent in the morning when I'm well-rested. I seem to have the greatest number of PVCs in the evening. I assume it's related to being tired. Your wife is right, we should both lose weight, avoid excessive caffeine and alcohol, and keep our blood pressure under control - all common-sense things for someone with heart rhythm issues. Like others, I've asked my cardiologist many times about the PVCs and have been told they are nothing to worry about. I've never taken any medications for PVCs. My pacemaker is for an occasional slow heart rate. It paces about 10 percent of the time and has no effect one way or the other on my PVCs.

Hi johnnycake,

I live downstate so yeah, I'm blaming EVERYTHING on this horrible stupid dumb horrible crummy horrible winter. I am so ready for it to be over. In any case, I would rather be safe than sorry so don't worry - you're not being wimpy if you call your doc.

I would contact my doctor. It is disturbing you and if nothing else, a check by your electrophysiologist would put your mind at ease.

Hope you get a good report.

I agree that you should check this out. I had skipped beats, just normal irregular heart beats for awhile, and my cardio wasn't concerned. Then, I sort of noticed they had changed, but I really wasn't sure. I let it go for a few weeks and finally remembered to call my cardio and he ordered an ekg. He called me when he got the results and asked how long I was in a-fib? Well, I had never been in a-fib before so didn't know how it felt or sounded. I was also in a- flutter, beating 400 times in between beats. Who knew? I didn't feel that it was doing that, and always assumed that a-fib was very fast beats.
He said I could live with it, and I did for awhile, but it bugged me hearing my heart beat so differently, so I set up a cardioversion and it worked. But, now I have to take Sotolol to keep the a- fib/flutter away, so one more drug! I don't understand how having a-fib and not treating it is okay for the heart, I just knew I wasn't able to ignore it so I got it zapped and it went back to normal. Now I do get occasional skipped or very fast beats but they only last a few seconds and I mostly hear them at night.

Thanks for the feedback. I just wish I could pinpoint what triggered it. I'm trying to find a common denominator so I know how to attack it. Give me something to tell the electro doc.

So I believe I will contact cardio to have it checked out. I'll post again when I get his diagnosis, just in case it can help someone else who may go through this in the future. Thanks, everyone.

Yeah, seems like stress can be the biggest trigger of PVCs and this winter has been a stressful one. If you have indeed put on a little extra weight, and if it alleviates your PVCs the way it does mine, try exercise. I think that making your heart work a little harder can help to smooth out that annoying rhythm. For a few months after my surgery I would get PVCs pretty bad and I would just go for a brisk 15-minute walk to calm things right down. Of course, it's still not a bad idea to talk to your doctor about it...

Snow? Did your part of Chicago get snow? I really can't tell, as my street looks like a moon-scape!

I'm with the others - I'd get it checked out. That way, if it is something that needs to be dealt with, you can get right with it before anything comes of it. If it is a "nuisance" thing, your mind will be put at ease sooner.

I had stuff like that way back in my 20's. I even had to get a doc to "look the other way" to get into the National Guard. I'm still here but I've had some repairs done over the years. If you're in afib or a-flutter, better to know and deal with it rather than to let it lead to possible clot formation and/or stroke. I nearly lost a friend when we were still in our late 20's -- he had a stroke from some unknown-to-him heart ailment.

If you end up needing an electrophysiologist, PM me and I can tell you what my experience at Northwestern has been.

I used to get pvcs or pacs, usually at night when I was sitting on the couch. I would get them occasionally through the day too. I tried a beta blocker and other meds, nothing seemed to completely eliminate them. Doctor said they were normal and pretty much everyone has them. I also had an occasional sharp feeling on the left side of my chest. Heart was ruled out, but found I may have some reflux, or heart burn. I finally started to see a connection when I read about the function of the Vagus nerve. The Vagus nerve, also called Vagal, runs from the abdominum up through the stomach and heart. This is why sometimes heart burn feels like a heart attack. The Vagus nerve is also responsible for setting off pvcs/pacs. If the esophagus gets irritated by gerd or reflux, the heart can get irritated too. Long story short, I started taking OTC Prilosec, and within a couple days, no more palps or skipped beats!

If you're having pvcs or pacs, especially when a heart issue has been ruled out, I would definitely try a good PPI med and see if it's reflux that's causing them.

Snow? Did your part of Chicago get snow? I really can't tell, as my street looks like a moon-scape!

I'm with the others - I'd get it checked out. That way, if it is something that needs to be dealt with, you can get right with it before anything comes of it. If it is a "nuisance" thing, your mind will be put at ease sooner.

I had stuff like that way back in my 20's. I even had to get a doc to "look the other way" to get into the National Guard. I'm still here but I've had some repairs done over the years. If you're in afib or a-flutter, better to know and deal with it rather than to let it lead to possible clot formation and/or stroke. I nearly lost a friend when we were still in our late 20's -- he had a stroke from some unknown-to-him heart ailment.

If you end up needing an electrophysiologist, PM me and I can tell you what my experience at Northwestern has been.

I heard from my electrophysiologist's office and he wants me to go on a 24-hour holter monitor. I will get it strapped on in a couple of days. So let's see what this shows.

I'll update when there is more information. But I still thank everyone for reading and responding and the encouraging words.

Hockey? My daughter used to be a competitive figure skater. Her opinion at the time was that hockey players were just figure skaters who left their teeth in their lockers. Then, while in university, she was recruited to the women's hockey team. She played goalie because she was small (built close to the ice - easier to get down and trap the puck) and she could skate backwards better than most of the other players. She now accepts both sports as being great reasons to be on the ice.

This is exactly how my problem was found. My heart was skipping beats. Well, the problem with skipping beats turned out to be simple acid reflux...easily treatable. However, the doc also heart something else in there that concerned him...which lead to a valve replacement. I started taking zantac on a daily basis and it resolved my skipped beats. Hopefully, yours is as easy to solve.

Zantac works sometimes, but it's old school. PPIs are much more effective and longer lasting. Get an OTC like Prilosec or there's many options with stronger prescription PPIs like Nexium and Protonix. There's generics too, which with a copay will be about the same price or less than the short acting Zantec.

Reflux causing these skipped beats is a real cause. Check out Roemheld Syndrome here...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roemheld_syndrome

This is an hour podcast on the syndrome. I was stunned when I heard this...
https://m.app.box.com/view_shared/aqlw20oafjkj289pyqac

Soilman - A surprising percentage of us here have acid reflux. I, too, use Zantac. My doc says it is the most easily tolerated of the acid-reducers.

I hope that's all it will be with me, too. One Zantac and life is back to normal would be a great resolution. I just worry that there may be a problem with the tissue valve, and that's what's causing the skipped beats. Thing is, I won't know until I hear back from the cardio about the results from the holter monitor, which I can't get put on until Monday (the earlier appointment had to be cancelled). My stomach has gotten this bloating for the last couple of months, like it's distended. I don't know if there's a connection there either.

All these questions :( But I will try Prilosec or Zantac and see if that has a positive effect. Thanks for the insight.

I have irregular heart beats all the time! I am lucky, my cardiologist does triathlons, and understands how much my running means to my mental/physical/spiritual health. Like herb M, he has me on 2 magnesium min tablets (500mg each) twice a day. I am quite fanatic over my exercise - do my weights at home most days (light) and either run/walk as well.
Hope you find out the problem.

Latest posts

Back