Return Guy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi all, I was on this forum about 18 years ago before I had my first aortic valve replacement for a bicuspid valve, regurgitation, and a tumor (papillary fibroelastoma) in my outflow tract. I underwent AVR with a homograft at Mayo clinic and did great for many years, climbing and summiting Mount Rainier 4 times. Over the past 1.5 years noted decreased exercise tolerance and now become short of breath climbing one flight of stairs, and have severe regurgitation. So scheduled for my second OHS, this time with a mechanical valve, hopefully to avoid a third surgery later. So I'm back and trying to find information on anticoagulation therapy and exercise with a mechanical valve. Sorry I have been gone so long!
Tom

Guest;n871332 said:
.......... So I'm back and trying to find information on anticoagulation therapy and exercise with a mechanical valve. Sorry I have been gone so long!
Tom

Hi Tom, glad you came back. ACT has come a pretty long way since your first surgery.......especially now that "home testing" is available. I'll give you my suggestions for dealing with anticoagulation therapy (ACT):
1. Home test if you can. Some docs are hesitant to allow it but they are in the minority. 2. Test weekly or bi-weekly. I test weekly and have no difficulty with ACT. 3. Eat a relatively consistent diet that includes vitamin K vegetables. 3. Stay with one brand of warfarin. "Taro" is my brand. Its been around a long time. 4. Your exercise routine is up to you. There are many that climb,, run, swim, build, etc. Just be a little careful about your head and wear a helmet, if necessary.

For me there are only two absolutes.......Take the warfarin as prescribed and test routinely. Everything else is common sense.

Hi Return Guy

I guess that you'll find that there are really no exercise limitations placed upon you due to the mechanical valve. You will find successful competitive runners, power lifters and tri-athaletes in this group who have mechanical valves, you'll also find at least one climber (not a member here) who has reached the summit of Mt Everest ticking a mechanical valve...

I would echo dick0236 's remarks and add some information that may be handy in self management from my blog (if you've not already stumbled upon it). Basically all my posts about managing my INR (present and future) are under this INR tag on my blog

Best Wishes and Merry Christmas

Back