Rethinking Coag-Sense

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CarolineMC, I'm at a loss trying to understand why you hate this post.
Please clarify.
I go to a lab that uses the same equipment as you do at home. Now do you understand what I commented. If not, then you need to learn standard English, not putting you down, but some people do not understand simple English these days. Have a nice day. :)

Yes, it is much better than getting a needle in the arm -- as long as the needle and the meter BOTH give accurate results.

I hope this lab occasionally takes blood from the arm and finger to compare results. (In fact, there may be no need for a finger prick if a drop of the blood in the tube is put onto the strip. (This only goes for standard tubes - some may have chemicals (citrates) that change the blood so it can't be tested with the Coag-Sense.
And they use finger prick for the same machine you use at home. Only need needle in arm if my Protime goes too high, like 4.0. Got it now. No hate here, just we do not always agree and shame on you for calling me on not agreeing all the time. If we all agreed about everything, then Planet Earth would be a boring place to live on.

I go to a lab that uses the same equipment as you do at home. Now do you understand what I commented. If not, then you need to learn standard English, not putting you down, but some people do not understand simple English these days. Have a nice day. :)
I read your post. I understood it. I write for a living. I don't need an insult.
I was just asking about your lab's use of the meter, instead of running a test of venous blood -- or is your 'lab' actually a coagulation clinic that doesn't draw blood?

And they use finger prick for the same machine you use at home. Only need needle in arm if my Protime goes too high, like 4.0. Got it now. No hate here, just we do not always agree and shame on you for calling me on not agreeing all the time. If we all agreed about everything, then Planet Earth would be a boring place to live on.
Wow. You really misinterpreted my response.

I saw a HATE emoji at the bottom of an earlier post - and this WAS from you. Perhaps you meant to use another emoji.

It would have been nice to read that your lab uses the Coag-Sense for testing, but does a blood draw for INR above 4.0.

And, FWIW, the company president told me that some hospitals USE the Coag-Sense to validate the higher INR values -- if it is above 4.0, the clinics USE the Coag-Sense.

We're still friends.

Caroline - I may have misread the emoji I asked about I don't use emojis.

When I put my cursor over the emoji, I thought it was one for HATE. I think it may have been haha.
(This is one of the reasons I DON'T use emojis)

Don’t shun eBay when it comes to the CoaguChek XS. So long as it’s a reputable seller there really isn’t any risk.
Just want to add that I was initially reluctant to use eBay prior to my surgery. That is why I went with the Coagsense device, as Coagucheck is only available in the States via eBay or through health insurance (which typically doesn't pay until 3 months post-op). However, now that a lot of my anxiety has eased, I regularly order Coagucheck strips off of eBay and have not had any issues. I've done some "experimenting" with tracking my INR and therefore have tested more frequently than what my insurance would cover, hence the need for extra strips. Should I ever require another device, I would have no problems buying one from a reputable seller.

I read your post. I understood it. I write for a living. I don't need an insult.
I was just asking about your lab's use of the meter, instead of running a test of venous blood -- or is your 'lab' actually a coagulation clinic that doesn't draw blood?
A laboratory where one goes to get blood pricked for testing. Hope you got it now. So sad when a writer does not understand plain standard English and never uses a dictionary. Please be a nice person today. Bye. Protime. Have a nice day. And it does a finger prick for a conga check use. Faster that waiting for three to seven days for a regular arm poke.

A laboratory where one goes to get blood pricked for testing. Hope you got it now. So sad when a writer does not understand plain standard English and never uses a dictionary. Please be a nice person today. Bye. Protime. Have a nice day. And it does a finger prick for a conga check use. Faster that waiting for three to seven days for a regular arm poke.
'A writer does not understand plain standard English and never uses a dictionary?' Really?
I haven't heard of an actual lab that doesn't draw blood. Anticoagulation clinics, for sure, but labs?
Labs make a lot more money for drawing blood and testing it than they do for a finger prick test.

It's better to do the simple finger prick test, and run a blood draw if the values are questionable than it is just to run a blood test, but I wasn't aware that labs have finally come around to doing the same testing that you can do at home.

But 'does not understand plain standard English and never uses a dictionary' is really over the top.

Amazing

I'm writing this here, because I'm not sure the site administrator would allow a site that said 'Coag-Sense meters for sale.'

I'm trying to whittle down the number of meters that I already have, and regain space by getting rid of them.

I checked yesterday, and have one 'new' CoaguChek XS and THREE backups. They don't take up a lot of space.

I recently got a Coag-Sense PT2 (the new model), whiich I may use when I test with Coag-Sense strips. I also have three of the old PT1 meters, and I'd like to get rid of them.

Whatever I paid for them is money I don't expect to recover.

I have two primary goals: to get the three PT1 meters out of the house, and to help people who can't afford a Coag-Sense meter to have one. Money would be nice - but not essential. If you would like to have a Coag-Sense, let me know (you can send me private mail at this site), or you know someone who may benefit from one, let me know.
As I said, a small amount of money would be nice to have, but if you need a meter and don't have the budget for one, I'd be happy if the mailing costs are covered.

If you want a meter, just send me a private message.

I'll get back to you.

'A writer does not understand plain standard English and never uses a dictionary?' Really?
I haven't heard of an actual lab that doesn't draw blood. Anticoagulation clinics, for sure, but labs?
Labs make a lot more money for drawing blood and testing it than they do for a finger prick test.

It's better to do the simple finger prick test, and run a blood draw if the values are questionable than it is just to run a blood test, but I wasn't aware that labs have finally come around to doing the same testing that you can do at home.

But 'does not understand plain standard English and never uses a dictionary' is really over the top.

Amazing
Seems that a dictionary is beyond you there mate. I won. You have a great day and stay out of trouble. But on the testing at home, you have to have the equipment, which I do not have, so better to allow the lab people to deal with the INR and if it is too high, they call 4.0 too high, then I go to aq different lab at the hospital to get a needle stick in the arm. Bye and have a nice relaxing day. LMAO!

Caroline:
I don't want to take the bait and make this an ongoing thing that nobody enjoys.
I don't know what word is supposed to be beyond me.
But, again, I don't want to get into this B.S. with you.

If you don't have a meter, I can help you with this. I have an extra Coag-Sense meter. I just don't have strips, but they can be purchased on eBay (sometimes a vendor will sell them for a few bucks each). You can get a fujnctional CoaguChek XS for about $30 on eBay. They work. Again, you'll need strips.

If you're paying the lab for a fingerstick, you'll probably save money (or at least the time it takes to go to the lab) by self testing. If insurance pays for your test, you've still got to consider your time and expense in going to and from the lab.

I have more CoaguChek XS meters than I need - but they don't have the strip guides (which you can do testing without) or a battery cover - all you have to do is ask for it.

Just let me know what word, I'm supposed to not understand, and send me a PM if you want a meter.

Caroline:
I don't want to take the bait and make this an ongoing thing that nobody enjoys.
I don't know what word is supposed to be beyond me.
But, again, I don't want to get into this B.S. with you.

If you don't have a meter, I can help you with this. I have an extra Coag-Sense meter. I just don't have strips, but they can be purchased on eBay (sometimes a vendor will sell them for a few bucks each). You can get a fujnctional CoaguChek XS for about $30 on eBay. They work. Again, you'll need strips.

If you're paying the lab for a fingerstick, you'll probably save money (or at least the time it takes to go to the lab) by self testing. If insurance pays for your test, you've still got to consider your time and expense in going to and from the lab.

I have more CoaguChek XS meters than I need - but they don't have the strip guides (which you can do testing without) or a battery cover - all you have to do is ask for it.

Just let me know what word, I'm supposed to not understand, and send me a PM if you want a meter.
I do the lab due to the fact it is faster with a finger prick than a regular arm stick. We do things different in America and when one is on SSDI and Medicare. Have a nice day. Bye.

Caroline:
Okay, I have never heard of a lab that uses a meter for the initial INR determination, then does a blood draw to confirm the value if it's way out of range.
This was my original question.
While it's great that your lab runs a test with a finger stick, rather than an immediate blood draw, I think this may be an exception, rather than a rule.
I'm glad to hear that they do this.

I'm on Medicare. I self test. The last times I went to aa lab for INR testing, they did a blood draw. In fact, I go to the labs for a blood draw that I can compare to my meters. For me, comparing my meter's result to those of a lab's meter gives me no usable information, unless the lab's meter gives a result that is very different from my meters.

My offer to send you a meter is still on the table. Yes, you'll have to get strips, but you'll have something you can test your INR on (at home).

Latest posts

Back