Results of Echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinmaker

I talked to my cardio's nurse this morning and she read me the results of my echo done last week. The aortic regurgitation is MILD (remember, the tech said it was definitely moderate). She said my ejection fraction was 70%. I was elated but wondered why in all my other echos over the last several years, my EF has been consistently 50-55%. Does that get better as time goes on? She said the mechanical mitral valve looked fine. There was no mention whatsoever of aortic stenosis which had been mentioned in my last couple of echos over the last couple of years. That was the reason my last cardio put me on Lipitor. Would I have regurgitation without some stenosis (considering I had Rheumatic Fever)? My cardio has been out of town last week and will be out of town this week. Any thoughts or comments? LINDA

Linda. I know it's hard to be patient with these things, but I would honestly advise you to just wait for the cardio to come back in, review the echo him/herself and then be ready with all the questions you have. So much is tech/reading variation. The cardio will know which tech did the echo and will understand their particular nuance in the reading.

That said, I know that there are meds out there that are helping us all and keeping the bad stuff at bay. It's quite possible that things have improved because of them.

Stay optimisitc! It certainly sounds positive!

Marguerite

Ef

Ef

Linda
Your EF at 70% is amazing. Is this the first recorded EF since the bi-vent?
Kathleen

Kathleen, I'm not sure what a bi-vent is. I had my mitral valve replaced almost 25 years ago. Right now, the cardio is watching my aortic valve, but nothing has been done to it. I've always had echos done every year, but I've never had one with an EF this good. They've always been in 50-55% range. Wondering if the EF of 70% is too good to be true. LINDA

twinmaker said:
I talked to my cardio's nurse this morning and she read me the results of my echo done last week. The aortic regurgitation is MILD (remember, the tech said it was definitely moderate). She said my ejection fraction was 70%. I was elated but wondered why in all my other echos over the last several years, my EF has been consistently 50-55%. Does that get better as time goes on? She said the mechanical mitral valve looked fine. There was no mention whatsoever of aortic stenosis which had been mentioned in my last couple of echos over the last couple of years. That was the reason my last cardio put me on Lipitor. Would I have regurgitation without some stenosis (considering I had Rheumatic Fever)? My cardio has been out of town last week and will be out of town this week. Any thoughts or comments? LINDA

Linda, what is the measurement of your aortic valve now? I was put on Lipitor when I had my MVR too and for the same reason you were. Regurgitation can exist independently and stenosis can exist without regurgitation but I don't know what is happening in your case. Regurgitation seems to vary on my echo exams too. My aortic valve has stayed the same even though I am no longer on the Lipitor.

Linda,
Hi, Did you mention that this is a different Cardiologist? Different place that you had the echo? If your Cardiologist sticks to the 70% then I would have to question that. If it were me I would get a second opinion. However,when your Cardiologist returns he may say something completely different. Is that HIS interpretation of the echo? If not he may come up with something more consistent with your past echos. I've never heard of an EJ getting better without surgery.. but what do I know? Good Luck, Deana

Deana, the echo results were what the cardio's nurse read to me over the phone. I don't know who interprets these things, but I'm a little suspicious about having an EF of 70% when in the past few years, they've always been 50-55%. Yes, this is a new cardiologist, in a new town, and the echo was done in his office. My next appointment with this new cardio is in August. I guess I'll just wait and ask him then about the EF. LINDA

Back