restless leg syndrome after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brade

Hi all,
I need to send out a question to all who have had MV repair or replacement. I had my MV repair surgery on Nov. 8th. at CC. When I was in the hospital, everything was fine and I was sleeping very well (when I could). Since I have come home I have developed Restless leg Syndrome and have a very hard time falling asleep. I have developed a crawling sensension on my outer thighs, and when I go to bed my leg movment won't allow me to get to sleep for a very long time. I must get our of bed and walk until I get so tired the tiredness overcomes the leg movements. Since coming home, Nov. 13th. I've been getting about 4 hours sleep a night. Other than that I'm great, no pain from the surgery and not too tired.
Meds.
Motrin 200mg every 4 hours
Aspirin 81mg daily
Nexium 20 mg daily
Xanax 0.25mg daily
Flecanide 100mg 2X daily

Any help would be appreciated.

Brad E.:)

restless leg syndrome

restless leg syndrome

Hi Brade!
I really feel for you. My husband has the restless leg syndrome and he has never had surgery. There are nites when sleep is impossible. My Son & Daughter also have it. I had surgery to relpace my Aortic valve June of 2000 and shortly after I also developed an abbreviated version I think. If I sit with my feet propped up for any length of time, my legs from the knee down just go bezerkers! Can't sit still. Must get up and walk. Connected to surgery in my particular case, I don't know, but it is the worst feeling! Never had it before surgery. If you come up with any answers please let me know. My husband would certainly appreciate any help! :)

Hi Cookie,
I have my first appointment since surgery with my cardiologest on Nov. 26th. At that time I'll address the problem I'm having with my legs and sleeping. If I find anything out I will post it here. I'm hoping this is just a temp. thing and that after I'm taken off these drugs It will go away. I really feel for anyone with this problem long term, short term is bad enough.
When your husband has sleepless nights, can he sleep during the next day, or does this just affect him at night?:confused:

I get restless legs also after sitting with them propped up, especially when I've been on my feet for a long time and being rather active. I haven't had heart surgery.

One thing that helps me considerably is to put a small lap robe around them. The warmth seems to relax them and the gremlins go away. When it was really bad, I tried a heating pad, but I don't know about you heart surgery guys. Maybe the heating pad wouldn't be good for you, but you could try the lap robe.

restless legs

restless legs

Hi again!

My husband has it mostly at nite. We have taken to sleeping in separate beds because he jerks and twitches all nite! He does seem to get some relief if he goes to the couch. It is also unpredictable. He could get a couple of good nites sleep and then it starts again. Mine seems to go away if I get up and walk. So far it hasn't effected my sleep.(fingers crossed!) If your doc gives you any insight on this problem we are all ears!

PREVENTION

PREVENTION

You folks might want to check PREVENTION magazine files. They have had several articles on restless leg syndrome over the past few years. I haven't been bothered so didn't retain much of what I read...vitamins B? and I thought bananas helped. Don't rely on my feeble memory, check them out. It is through Rodale Publishing...and I think Prevention. com?

Hope this helps.

RLS!

RLS!

Hey Brad,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You are not alone. I had never heard of RLS and just did a "google" search. It came up with over 42,000 possibilities!
Wow.

Anyway, I will be following this thread as I am having my share of general sleep problems. Up every two hours! Non-stop exercise to the point of exhaustion seems to be the main remedy for me. I "live" in my LazyBoy and unfortunately can't travel with it. I wish there was an inflatable model!

Best of luck in your situation.

Restless legs Sydrome

Restless legs Sydrome

:) Well,
the Restless legs stopped as fast as they started. The first several nights I had them and then just as fast, I didn't, go figure.
The past several nights the only problem I've had has been some pain when I roll over in bed, and that is easing up every day.
I want to thank everyone for your concern and ideas on this problem. I now believe my problem was caused by the drugs given during surgery, working out of my body.
I have read that B12 in some cases can be a help in Cronic Restless Legs Syndrome, and lots of excersize can also help. I also read that no one really knows what causes it. Those of you that have it, I wish you well.

Brad

Latest posts

Back