Resting Heart Rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently had an elevated liver function appear and go away again within 2 weeks which I can't explain except from an acute (single instance) stomach illness 2 days before a test. My GGt and ALT both elevated to over 5 times what my previous history was (and out of bounds for a warning flag) but resumed to normal within 2 weeks.

I had something similar too about 2 months ago. My ALT was about 3x, my ALP was about 4x and GGT about 3x of the upper range limit. Not sure what caused it but I stopped Atorvastatin as advised and after about 2 weeks, my ALT was back inside range and the others barely above the upper limit. I don't like liver results being high. I've struggled a bit with them since my op but hopefully the statin was the cause. I'll try going back onto a statin using a low dose/blood test in a month or so.

My own heart rate had been raised to around 100 bpm for a few days before the high results blood test and I'd had a bit of a temp going on too. My normal resting heart rate is around 65 bpm.

It’s easy to control the extremely slow rhythms you can just put a pacemaker in. Not so much the fast rhythms without taking meds to try and slow down rhythms especially if one has an aberrant pacemaker and having side effects from meds. My brother had this done and he is in normal sinus rhythm with very few ectopic beats and he feels great, ymmv.
Thank, Critter.
I hope I understood your response well.
When I asked my cardiologist about a pace maker, he said “we don’t need to go that route”!!!
Why? No response!

Last edited:
I had something similar too about 2 months ago. My ALT was about 3x, my ALP was about 4x and GGT about 3x of the upper range limit. Not sure what caused it but I stopped Atorvastatin as advised and after about 2 weeks, my ALT was back inside range and the others barely above the upper limit. I don't like liver results being high. I've struggled a bit with them since my op but hopefully the statin was the cause. I'll try going back onto a statin using a low dose/blood test in a month or so.

My own heart rate had been raised to around 100 bpm for a few days before the high results blood test and I'd had a bit of a temp going on too. My normal resting heart rate is around 65 bpm.
My liver enzymes were tested twice…normal results though the liver looked a bit enlarged in the scan while I was on 400 mg Amiodarone.

You basically have a high resting heart rate. Like most things in medicine the process should start with diagnosis. So the rate should be characterized primarily by EKG results. Do you have an unusual high sinus rhythm? Probably unlikely at that rate without a reason. Do you have A.Fib? Or some other abnormal rhythm?
Once the rhythm is properly understood then various treatment options would be considered.
So has anyone mentioned the type of rhythm to you? If not ask. If there is a inadequate response then get another opinion from someone versed in rhythm disorders probably an electrophysiologist.
Also CRP, C reactive protein is a very non specific marker of inflammation. It will go up for a myriad of reasons such as surgery, infection, rheumatic diseases etc..
So it really has in general little to do with your heart rate and probably would be very low on my list of blood tests.
So again the number one thing in medicine should be diagnosis then treatment. So get a diagnosis.

Vitdoc, thanks responding. I thought I answered you earlier, but I must have lost it!

I totally agree about diagnosis…“unspecified Atrial flutter” is what I get from “the clinical notes” on-line, but not from doctors’ lips! Maybe they know thecause but not wanting to share! I’m not sure what I’m saying 😀

Re EKG: was done at the walk-in clinic end of December and at cardiologist’s early January. comments on-line: “ EKG appears stable from prior EKGs. Patient also with unremarkable stress test 3 months ago”!
According to my iWatch, I’m in sinus rhythm!

I thought hsCRP is particularly related to cardiovascular disease, as per Mayo Clinic:
“ Higher risk of heart disease: hs-CRP level equal to or greater than 2.0 mg/L.
Remember that your hs-CRP level is only one risk factor for coronary artery disease. If you have a high hs-CRP level, it doesn't definitely mean you have an overall higher risk of developing heart disease. Other tests need to be done to further evaluate your risk.”
I’m not a doctor, so I can be misinterpreting this!

Again, thanks for stressing on getting “diagnosis”, and this is what I shall insist on when I seek my Electrophysiologist’s opinion on June 29th (earliest *begged for* appointment).

Stay well.

I've literally never heard of hsCRP and I suspect its just exactly what it says 'high sensitivity' - which would mean that you can rely on the numbers with a higher degree of confidence.
As CRP can also be done on fingerstick I would assume in Australia that anything done with venous draw blood would be high sensitivity, but I'll ask around.

I understand from Mayo Clinic that hsCRP is also re vascular heart diseases!
Remember that your hs-CRP level is only one risk factor for coronary artery disease. ”

I would still suggest more studies of both electrocardiology (looking at the waves tells you things) and echo (to confirm that the valve operation is not being impaired).
YES! and I am asking this time for most experienced technicians to perform the echo! Echos of the past always mentioned that “mechanical valves are well seated” and no thing else because m. Valves shed a shadow!

I would classify this as life endangering. The thing now is to press for actions.

Lastly I'm not sure if you picked the difference in metorprolols that I mentioned, succinate vs tartrate, I think its significant enough that you should try the tartrate.
I am pressing for actions as my patience is gone and tired of hearing that a “90 pulse is ok”! Not for me.
Re Metoprolol, I’m not sure about the slight difference. Mine is extended release and I take digoxin 0.125 mg daily with it!
I’ll ask the Electrophysiologist in June! (If I’m still around 😀)!
Thanks again, Pellicle. Stay well.

When I asked my cardiologist about a pace maker, he said “we don’t need to go that route”!!!
Why?
I think that pacemaker insertion (being quite destructive and in my view a last resort) should not be undertaken without extensive electrophysiology studies.

Since it would seem that has not happened yet I would say that's the "why" of it.

I would be pushing for such studies, and I would again try metoprolol tartrate in the mean time. Its a cheap drug and what you reported was not an extensive trial of it.

Best Wishes

I thought hsCRP is particularly related to cardiovascular disease, as per Mayo Clinic:
An elevated CRP is probably associated with an increased rate for a myriad of diseases. Probably in the cardiac world more likely for coronary artery disease.
In any event it adds little to understanding your heart rhythm problem.
So again ask for the specifics of the rhythm issue. Sometimes the answer might be “we are not sure”.
Then maybe go somewhere that has known expertise with rhythm issues for another opinion.
Diagnosis Diagnosis Diagnosis. (If possible)

Reactions: Eva
Thanks, Vitdoc.
I have an appointment with an electrophysiologist with 26 years of experience in electrophysiology. Frustrating that the earliest I can see him is June 29th. I’m put on waiting list for any earlier opening.
Stay well.

Latest posts

Back