Resting heart rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtremlee

My resting heart rate before surgery 15 years ago was 60. It went up after surgery but came back down. Now it will drop to 49-55. Anyone else with a resting heart rate that low?

My resting heart rate is generally in the 50's, and when I'm sleeping it falls to the low 40's.

On a recent halter monitor I was assigned to wear, they recorded my heart rate as low as 42.

When I spoke to the Dr. about it, they said if it's normal for you there's nothing to be concerned about.

My resting heart rate is generally in the 50's, and when I'm sleeping it falls to the low 40's.

On a recent halter monitor I was assigned to wear, they recorded my heart rate as low as 42.

When I spoke to the Dr. about it, they said if it's normal for you there's nothing to be concerned about.
My preop rate was also around 60 then went up post surgery now my resting is averaging 45. Cardio hasn’t been concerned as long as it isn’t causing symptoms, specifically light headedness.

It would help if you could tell us a bit about yourself. Prior to my aortic valve replacement, my resting heart rate would often hover in the upper 40's to low 50's BPM. We (cardio and I) attributed it to the fact that I was a runner for some 30+ years by that time.

Maybe that was true, but I have no way to know how my heart rate (would have) performed after valve surgery because during my surgery, the nerve bundle that connects the atria to the ventricles was damaged. I had such varied rate and rhythm issues immediately after surgery (trust me . . . it is NO fun to watch your hospital monitor screen go "flat-line") that I had a pacemaker implanted. My resting heart rate now stays at no less than 60 BPM, except for the time one of my leads failed. Then I went down to 48 BPM until the pacer was adjusted and ultimately the lead and pacemaker were replaced.

My preop rate was also around 60 then went up post surgery now my resting is averaging 45. Cardio hasn’t been concerned as long as it isn’t causing symptoms, specifically light headedness.

My resting heart rate was also in the 40s, and my cardiologist explained that my medications can bring it down that low. It's possible that YOUR medications can also drop the heart rate into the 40s.

I’m only on warfarin and aspirin. Since my procedure I run 30 miles a week and lift weights 4 days a week. I’m more fit now than preop

Do you use a Fitbit , Apple watch or some other device to monitor your bpm?

It's another step, but there are apps for Android (and I'm sure also for iPhone) that can detect your heart rate.

I have a 'smart' device that cost all of $4.99 on eBay. It's supposed to measure heart rate, BP and pulse oxygen. I have my doubts.

If I had the money for one, I'd probably get a better, more reliable device to track my heart rate.

Yes. I had post op a fib and use polar370 watch to look at continuous heart rate to check rate during rest, exercise and if there are any a fib high heart rate episodes.
Gina

I agree that 49-55 is nothing to worry about. I would worry if it falls below 40 and you have symptoms (dizziness, faints). Anyone who is very fit will have a resting heart rate in the 40s.

My resting heart rate before surgery 15 years ago was 60. It went up after surgery but came back down. Now it will drop to 49-55. Anyone else with a resting heart rate that low?
Just got a health band : Resting heart rate is between 50 & 54

Ginahmk -- I don't know of any fitness band that detects AFib -- they'll show tachycardia, but don't analyze heart rhythms. I have a watch that has an application that I won't use because it requires a lot of permissions whose only purpose appears to be getting into the data on my phone. This one does what's supposed to be EKG, but without an app, I can't transfer the record.

I've found an inexpensive (about $26, incuding shipping) and I'll give it atry. I don't t expect to see any rhythm analysis, and there are no indicators of high heart rate (as far as I know), but a look at continuous heart rate should be interesting.

Apple Watch has an afib indicator and also does an ekg reading which most cardiologist accept. It automatically records it to your iPhone . I have had one for 3 years and when I was having a high resting heart rate I told the cardiologist I had an I Watch that could do an ekg. He told me to take one and send it to him which I did and it was normal. Just had an reaction to a drug that caused the high heart rate.

Apple Watch has an afib indicator and also does an ekg reading which most cardiologist accept. It automatically records it to your iPhone . I have had one for 3 years and when I was having a high resting heart rate I told the cardiologist I had an I Watch that could do an ekg. He told me to take one and send it to him which I did and it was normal. Just had an reaction to a drug that caused the high heart rate.
Sounds interesting Buckeye! What series is the watch? Are you post op?

Latest posts

Back