Resistance trng recs for 50 cm root aneurysm

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tpazwa67

I’ve got a stable 50 mm aortic root aneurism for the pst 3 years, wanting to get back to lifting. High rep, low weight has been recommended. Has anyone gone down this path and achieved good results in toning/gaining relative strength. Insights much appreciated. Tim P

Be careful. High rep with low weight is common sense as is abstinence. You don't want it to rupture before repair.

Last edited:
I’ve got a stable 50 mm aortic root aneurism for the pst 3 years, wanting to get back to lifting. High rep, low weight has been recommended. Has anyone gone down this path and achieved good results in toning/gaining relative strength. Insights much appreciated. Tim P
I didn't have your situation, but had a 4.5cm aneurysm, Bicuspid Aortic Valve and two Coronary Arteries that were moved. I am a personal trainer, avid hiker and lifter. I was told to stop all weight training and hiking last June. I must admit I did the opposite in preparation for my surgery and hiked and lifted like crazy getting into great shape before surgery this November. If you're straining a lot under the pressure of the weight then it's too much. Try instead sticking with a reasonable weight and superset your workouts. If you're familiar you might squat with something challenging then go right into a lunge with little rest. I did not go down in weights when told what I was dealing with, but I knew my body well enough that the weight I was at was already an adaptation my body was used to. Not sure if this helps. Best of luck to you!

I had a bicuspid valve which can be related to a higher instance of aneurisms, plus my father had one. I was told by the Cardiac Rehab staff after surgery that due to this potential, I should avoid holding my breath during exercise; always breathe consistently. IIRC holding one's breath can make your BP spike.

I’ve got a stable 50 mm aortic root aneurism for the past 3 years, wanting to get back to lifting. High rep, low weight has been recommended. Has anyone gone down this path and achieved good results in toning/gaining relative strength. Insights much appreciated. Tim P
So many factors with no universal answer. The size at which it can burst is different for everyone. What was the size 4 or 5 years ago before it got to 50mm? Have you been lifting weights all along and it would not be new activity? What type of exercises have you been doing?
My ascending aorta was at ~ 54mm at surgery. I was doing a similar exercise routine up until surgery. But it wasn't new to me. Same routine for many years. Actually I varied between medium weight & medium reps to higher reps. And lots of elliptical and abdominals. Also cycling and walking. And some of the cycling trips were long, like up to 165 miles. One such trip last year, rode from Homestead, Fl. to Key West, Fl. and back. That was very flat though except for the few bridges and high winds resistance.
Slow & steady. Listen to your body. But, I'm told you will get no warning if and when it ruptures. By that time it is usually too late.

I had a bicuspid valve which can be related to a higher instance of aneurisms, plus my father had one. I was told by the Cardiac Rehab staff after surgery that due to this potential, I should avoid holding my breath during exercise; always breathe consistently. IIRC holding one's breath can make your BP spike.
Yes, I was told the same about Bicuspid Valves and Aneurysms. My dad has a heart murmur and has his entire life, but that's all he knows and with Covid he hasn't gotten an Echo. What the cardiologists said, makes great sense. I've never practiced the Valsalva Maneuver and don't think it's ever a good idea. I know bodybuilders do this, but to me not worth it!

I didn't have your situation, but had a 4.5cm aneurysm, Bicuspid Aortic Valve and two Coronary Arteries that were moved. I am a personal trainer, avid hiker and lifter. I was told to stop all weight training and hiking last June. I must admit I did the opposite in preparation for my surgery and hiked and lifted like crazy getting into great shape before surgery this November. If you're straining a lot under the pressure of the weight then it's too much. Try instead sticking with a reasonable weight and superset your workouts. If you're familiar you might squat with something challenging then go right into a lunge with little rest. I did not go down in weights when told what I was dealing with, but I knew my body well enough that the weight I was at was already an adaptation my body was used to. Not sure if this helps. Best of luck to you!
Cool, thanks! UES, very helpful. I just read that AAA/TAA recs for resistance training stay in the 45-50% 1RM. The study author Jonathan Erhman, felt those with root aneurysm would be safe in those ranges. Sounds like you were higher than that? I like the idea of supersets, go to metabolic failure. All the best! Tim

So many factors with no universal answer. The size at which it can burst is different for everyone. What was the size 4 or 5 years ago before it got to 50mm? Have you been lifting weights all along and it would not be new activity? What type of exercises have you been doing?
My ascending aorta was at ~ 54mm at surgery. I was doing a similar exercise routine up until surgery. But it wasn't new to me. Same routine for many years. Actually I varied between medium weight & medium reps to higher reps. And lots of elliptical and abdominals. Also cycling and walking. And some of the cycling trips were long, like up to 165 miles. One such trip last year, rode from Homestead, Fl. to Key West, Fl. and back. That was very flat though except for the few bridges and high winds resistance.
Slow & steady. Listen to your body. But, I'm told you will get no warning if and when it ruptures. By that time it is usually too late.
I’ve been a lifelong cyclist, don’t race anymore, but I do push it. Not as much of a weighlifter. The root has been steady at 50 for about 4 years, even with my toned down cycling, so that feels good. I think low weight high reps to metabolic failure might give me what I need to tone up. Much thanks!

Cool, thanks! UES, very helpful. I just read that AAA/TAA recs for resistance training stay in the 45-50% 1RM. The study author Jonathan Erhman, felt those with root aneurysm would be safe in those ranges. Sounds like you were higher than that? I like the idea of supersets, go to metabolic failure. All the best! Tim
Like a few others have said, I basically kept my weight similar. Years ago I lifted very heavy for competitions, but now at 54yrs old I do what I can to avoid knee, hip, back issues. So far so good! It really depends on what you've done prior to being told about your aneurysm. If it felt good and your weren't straining excessively under the weight then it might be just right! All I can tell you is if you stay fit you will have a much easier time getting back into shape after surgery! All the best and keep training! :) This is me 9 weeks, 10 weeks Monday and I feel blessed to be alive and doing what I'm able to do! 🙏🏻

Attachments

• 20220204_153947.jpg
    20220204_153947.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 73
Back