Request - Forum Languange

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

At the risk of being branded a prude, I've noticed a significant increase in the colorful metaphors in use in this forum of late. Years ago there seemed to be an unwritten gentlemen's (persons?) agreement that we'd keep it clean and educational. I know we've had members in their early teens, and I'm sure we have kids with challenges that may look to this forum as a resource. Can we get back to trying to clean up the language in this place? I'm all for social talk and fun - but 'f' this and 'bs' that is not something that I want my kids reading regularly.

I'm not naïve, I do realize they hear the same and worse at school. I would like to think that the general sophistication level of this group is a bit beyond school yard where we can all exercise our personal filters. As some of you may know - I have five kids. Two present very mild forms of BAV at this time. They are just being followed right now. One sees a cardio once per year, the other goes in every other year. I'd like to be able to show them the great group of people I've come to lean on as a resource and sounding board, without them running into language that they aren't allowed to use in the house.

Thanks for your consideration. Now if it is really that difficult a task to filter, feel free to tell me what I can do with my request. :)

Noted
Will do my best to reform. Some times however passions run high on issues and saying less feels less.
Even among adult company some have more delicate ears shall we say (meaning I am inclined to acquiesce to your request)

I agree with your suggestion. I've been known to let loose blue language at times, but usually not when typing and I have time to think about what I'm "saying".

Point taken, Superman! If we think back to the classic movies of the 1930's and 1940's, the characters always got their points across -- without resorting to the language of the streets. It is only when we get into the 1990's and later that even prime time TV gets to sound like a longshoremen's ball.

I happen to be of the opinion that all words are awesome (though I was in the Army and the Carnival so maybe I'm not representative)! That said, why would anyone want to upset someone else? Especially in this place, designed to help others. Like I tell my 7 y/o, it's all about context and audience. I'll behave! Thanks for being brave with the request, it's never easy to make a suggestion like that. Cheers.

D

I agree. I've been an off again / on again participant, and recently I've been back and dismayed by a lot of easy profanity that was never here 5 years ago. There is no excuse for it, since we can all review our "passionate" posts and edit them before pushing "post reply." Keeping things suitable has nothing to do with "delicate" ears but is an act of respect for others. Profanity has its place, and its place is not here.

Latest posts

Back