Request for more info on generic warfarin brands

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuincyRunner

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Due to the permanent unavailability of Coumadin, on which I had a stable INR for 9 years, I am preparing to experiment with generic warfarin. I know that there have been recent discussions here on the pros and cons of various options but I would like to solicit additional guidance based on the experiences that folks have had with different generic brands. My options for a 90-day supply of 5 mg tablets are as follows: Taro brand for $36.67, Amneal brand for $21.01, and Jantoven brand for $7.50. My health insurance has a copay of $45.00, regardless of brand, and I find it cheaper to use the free Good Rx App although the cut rate price of $7.50 for the Jantoven is a Publix Grocery offering for a 90-day supply that covers about a dozen different drugs without the need for insurance or discount coupons. I am currently leaning against Jantoven based on some previous posts although I realize that we all absorb this stuff differently. Cost isn't much of a factor as I was previously paying an insurance copay of $50 per month for Coumadin, which I considered well worth it in exchange for the stability. I have little doubt that my INR will destabilize on generic warfarin but I am hoping to limit the damage, so to speak, with advice from all of you. Thanking you in advance.....

I have used Tara for decades. It is probably the oldest of the generic warfarin brands. With the introduction of the new blood thinners for non-mechanical valve patients I imagine more of the manufacturers of generic warfarin will leave the market. I'm betting that Tara will be among the survivors as this market shrinks further.

PS: My luck with managing Tara warfarin has been as easy as managing Coumadin. The biggest problem, for me, has been the few times I switched among warfarin brands. That often triggered swings in my INR. Whichever brand you settle on, stay with that brand.

I wasn't able to control my INR when I was given Jantoven. Personally, I wouldn't use it.

Taro has always worked for me. If you're a Costco member, even without insurance, a 90 day supply is less than $20 - possibly much less. My insurance covers it with no co-pay, but if I recall the amount on the receipt, it's still less than $20 (something around $12 or $13) for 90 pills.

The prices that you quote seem pretty high - you can probably do better shopping for it.

When you get your generic, test every few days (assuming that you have a meter), to see that you are still in range - if not make small adjustments to bring your INR in range.

Reactions: Amy
I will only occasionally notice the brand of generic I have. I don’t recall having an issue with switching based on whatever supply is available at the time. In the 1990’s I was on brand name Coumadin. I know I’ve used Taro without issue. Some brand does long narrow pills, but I don’t recall which. They’re easier to split though. But I haven’t needed to split in a while. The ones I currently have are round. I think we pay $10 or $15 for a 90 day supply. But I get two prescriptions, 5’s and 1’s - so double co-pays.

Taro for me for at least 10 years. I have been very stable on Taro. Cost at Kroger is $44.99 for 90 supply, but my insurance brings it down to $16.45. I had used two other manufactures before and was moderately unstable during the transition from one to the other. It's been many years, so I don't recall who the mfg was.

The FDA website has various databases you can search. I typically use this one to research generics. Orange Book: Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations
If you search for Warfarin you will get a list of about 120 entries that can be exported to Excel. It will tell you the Active Ingredient, the proprietary(brand) name, the applicant(manufacturer), approval date, among other things.

Jantoven is the most recently approved proprietary name. Approved in 2003. All other manufactures that have a proprietary name were approved much earlier.

Taro's Warfarin was approved in 1999. There are a few others that were approved in 1997.

That said - I doubt it matters which one you use as long as you don't change manufactures.

Try and find Marevan, same quality as Coumadin. I've been using it for years, available in Europe too, when I went there I didn't notice any changes in my INR switch to the locally made stuff there.

Ive been on Jantoven since mu surgery, only one ive even been on. No issues for me, I fill a 90 day supply for less than ten dollars w insurance

A few years ago, my pharmacy switched me to Jantoven without telling me. I wasn't able to regulate my INR when I used it. Once I realized that the switch had been made, I told them that I had to have generic Warfarin - not Jantoven.

As noted here, many of us at this site have been using it, successfully, for many years.

It just didn't work for me.

A few years ago, my pharmacy switched me to Jantoven without telling me. I wasn't able to regulate my INR when I used it. Once I realized that the switch had been made, I told them that I had to have generic Warfarin - not Jantoven.

As noted here, many of us at this site have been using it, successfully, for many years.

It just didn't work for me.
I guess I will try it when the time comes. Maybe I will be lucky.

Not sure if these brands are available in the US, but here in the UK my current brands are Almus and Crescent. I understand from comments made on other threads that whilst Warfarin is the generic active ingredient, some people have issues with the fillers used in the tablets, but I have never noticed any difference in my INR levels as a result of changes of brand.

It really is simple using any brand of warfarin. Just stick with one and make sure things seem stable. If there is significant variability between batches then switch to something else. I use the Teva sourced generic with good stability. There could be some inter brand variability but more importantly there should be little intra brand variability. With self testing one should be able to determine stability.

My thanks to everyone that chimed in with their experiences with different brands of generic warfarin. It seems that there may be no one brand that is better than another in the aggregate, but that perhaps on an individual basis there is a difference since we all absorb and react to drugs differently. I started yesterday with the Amneal brand and will test weekly (which I always do anyway). If I experience any large swings in my INR after a couple of weeks I will switch to the Taro brand (of which I have another 90 day supply). I actually still have a 90 day supply of Coumadin but I realize that the key is to be consistent with whatever brand I am using, especially after I discover one that works as well as Coumadin did for me. Thanks again, everyone. It is comforting to know that we all deal with the same issues.

My thanks to everyone that chimed in with their experiences with different brands of generic warfarin. It seems that there may be no one brand that is better than another in the aggregate, but that perhaps on an individual basis there is a difference since we all absorb and react to drugs differently. I started yesterday with the Amneal brand and will test weekly (which I always do anyway). If I experience any large swings in my INR after a couple of weeks I will switch to the Taro brand (of which I have another 90 day supply). I actually still have a 90 day supply of Coumadin but I realize that the key is to be consistent with whatever brand I am using, especially after I discover one that works as well as Coumadin did for me. Thanks again, everyone. It is comforting to know that we all deal with the same issues.

All drugs are subjected to the same tests before release for sale. These tests are not company specific, but specified in the United States Pharmacopeia (in the US). There are other organizations (EU, etc.) for other political entities and they have their own specificetions (e.g. EU and French Pharmacopoeias).

In addition, you buy a brand, but you do not know what plant it is manufactured in. Generic warfarin, and all the names except coumadin are generic, can be manufactured anywhere that the FDA or your home country approves. So your Taro can come from the same plant as the Amneal warfarin.

Sometimes, when generics come on the market, sometimes the brand name maker, makes and sells the brand and generic product or makes the generic product that another firm bottles it under a generic name. In some cases, the brand name product was coming from a supplier, not the original manufacturer, who when the drug goes generic, continues to supply the brand name firm, but sells the same product out "another door" to a generic supplier.

It's called contract manufacturing. It's why so many drugs are made in China, India, Israel, etc. and not in the US. The name on the bottle doesn't indicate the factory where it was made, just who brought it to you.

I don't track the source on my warfarin on a routine basis, can't see the tiny print :) However, my cardiologist and pharmacist say don't worry. When my INR has gone a little wacky, it's never been due to warfarin source.

I use the same pharmacy, CVS. I joke with them, "I want to know who selects and packages my drugs." I also want to get them from a company who does it as one of their primary occupations, not as a money making side gig.

Jantoven is warfarin. It just is a non generic name for a generic.
Jantoven®
(warfarin sodium tablets, USP)
If I recall correctly, there was an alert put out on Jantoven by the Australian government. They had found that Jantoven was much more potent then Coumadin. They did not find variations in the potency by strength of pill. The solution was to have very close monitoring for the first several weeks after changing brands of warfarin. No monthly or every other month monitoring after transition. With a meter, this can be readily done. Otherwise, it is a lot of blood draws. However, they did not recommend for or against Jantoven. They just warned that switching needed to be monitored closely. That recommendation is made by every experienced user.

Walk in His Peace,
Scribe with a Stylus

Latest posts

Back