Repeat Surgeries

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, it is surgery. It will be interesting to see how the potential risks stack up against traditional OHS. I do not know, but I can imagine the possibility that in the future a more standard approach would be to use TAVR first, then valve within valve when needed, then an OHS to replace with a mechanical valve. If the TAVR valves last 10+ years each, many patients won't ever get to the point where they need the OHS.

Edit -- past a certain age, you wouldn't even replace with a mechanical valve, but rather a bioprosthetic. Say I make it to 55 before needing AVR, and by that time TAVR is the standard for low risk patients (may or may not happen). I get TAVR, the valve poops out 12 years later, I get valve in valve, and that lasts 12 years. Now I'm 79. The standard would be to use a bio prosthesis at that point. Then again, I'm 79 without the option for TAVR, which would have been nice -- as would an old mechanical valve that was still plugging away and not needing surgery at all. Complicated stuff.

Nocturne;n868405 said:
............ -- as would an old mechanical valve that was still plugging away and not needing surgery at all. Complicated stuff.

My point exactly. If you are young enough to probably need multiple surgeries, why not get a valve that would probably negate those future surgeries.

TIGERLILLY, it seems no has the information you are seeking. Perhaps you need to look at your surgeon and ask the question. Perhaps the surgeon who did your surgery could be more knowledable. Good luck.

cldlhd;n868421 said:
I'm very sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how that was for your family, especially your parents.

Thank you. It was 25 years ago, two days before his 15th birthday and 3 days after my 18th. My Mom still grieves as if it just happened and I can't imagine what that is like for her. The funny thing is, the actual valve replacement was a success, even with the major complications from the scar tissue in his chest. He died from an unknown/undiagnosed aneurysm. I don't remember all of the particulars because it was so long ago (I'm sure my Mom does). He spent many weeks in the hospital and my parents had to eventually make the decision to turn off the heart and lung machine.

My point in sharing this is that there are just too many unknowns. A fourth surgery or fifth surgery seems very, very risky, and the possibility of survival improbable. That is just my opinion. I am not judging anyone or condemning anyone's choice. I lost my brother and I still chose a tissue valve.

Last edited:
Lisa2;n868407 said:
My brother died during his 4th open heart at the age of 14.

OMG
Very sorry to hear that.
I hope they are doing ok. My childhood best friend did at 21 from cancer, and I think it wss another twenty years before his mother was more peaceful with it. I know I've never "gets over" such things.

Thanks, Pellicle. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, as well. These things tend to stay with us. Right, one never gets over it; but, I think it's been especially tough for my Mom since she's had to watch another child go through AVR. I didn't think she was going survive my decision to get a homograft but she eventually became okay with it. I guess she had to, didn't she...LOL. My Dad just worries but did support my decision. It was the right one for me at the time, but I'm ready to get a mechanical and hopefully never have another surgery.

it's getting closer. I get check-ups every 6 months and I have new info. to report when I go back. My husband and I just returned from Rocky Mountain National Park and I had a bit of trouble hiking an incline. I had to stop once or twice and rest and my breathing was out of control. I was huffing and puffing and that is just ridiculous. I was so disgusted. My husband is 14 years older, much, much heavier and wasn't even winded. Frustrated the heck out of me that I had to stop and rest while he continued the short hike to the lake we were going to see in the park. The bright side is I know this problem can be fixed. I have been in the moderate range for a few years now and creeping toward severe. Last echo in May showed AVA .9 and gradient of 32. I am ready to get this over with while I'm relatively healthy!

Also, my apologies, Tigerlilly, for taking this thread in another direction.

Hi
Lisa2;n868425 said:
Thanks, Pellicle. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, as well. These things tend to stay with us. Right, one never gets over it; but, I think it's been especially tough for my Mom since she's had to watch another child go through AVR. I didn't think she was going survive my decision to get a homograft but she eventually became okay with it. I guess she had to, didn't she...LOL.

they do stay with us, and its my observation that those who have not experienced the death of someone close to them does not really grok it. I think its very hard when the death is of a younger person and especially hard when its your child. I believe its fair to say my Mum was frantic under the veneer when I was having my first surgery at 10.

I had a homograft put in in 1992, and that stayed good for about 20 years. I was about 28 when it was put in. I believe that my lifestyle (relatively healthy, active, not hyper competitive) contributed to my getting the longest times out of it without reoperation for my age group (or it could have been just good luck). I had my mechanical put in in 2011 and hopefully never need another surgery (especially with the threat of there still being a bug in there from the last OHS which could "catch fire" if it sees air again.)

Back