Reoperation on mitral replacement valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschroed

My bovine valve is 10 years old and needs to be replaced. I'm wondering about a second surgery and how it might differ from the first one.

Hi
well I've had three surgeries now (and some other members here have had that or more) and basically from the perspective of the patient I think its all pretty similar.

Myself I feel that being 48 the 3rd time made it feel worse than 28 (the second time) but generally all went according to plan (generally)

You folks are so brave! I just had a mechanical valve (St. Jude's) put in (mitral valve replacement) three weeks ago and there is no way I want to go through that surgery again. It was brutal.

Of course now I'm wishing I had had a mechanical valve the first time, but 10 years ago it didn't seem like the better choice. I knew I was risking reoperation.

kschroed;n883006 said:
Of course now I'm wishing I had had a mechanical valve the first time, but 10 years ago it didn't seem like the better choice. I knew I was risking reoperation.

Down that path lies darkness, best not do that. Now you are in a new place and you must make the decisions needed. The things which made you avoid a mechanical last time will still be there. If you choose a mechanical this time then there are voices here who can help you manage those issues.

What we experience is what makes us stronger

Best Wishes

I have given it lots of thought this time, and I'm willing to deal with the mechanical valve and all its issues. I'm nearly 70 this time, and my outlook on this has evolved over the past 10 years. I really appreciate all the advice from those of you who have done this before me.

Hi there! I was 39yrs when I chose for a tissue valve for my mitral valve replacement. I am 45 yrs now and theres nothing left of it. I am on beta blockers from my irregular heart beats. My Dr. who did the surgery retired. So I am waiting for another Dr. I have had my TEE test done but not an Angiolgram test . I was told I would not have a choice and I will be given a mechanical valve. I haven t had an answer if I will forever have an A fib and take beta blockers. But its been 3 months of waiting and barely able to walk, I don t care anymore. I just want my health back! I was thinking if the second surgery would be easier as well.

alesia;n883028 said:
...I was thinking if the second surgery would be easier as well.

well my 3rd didn't feel any particularly worse than my 2nd ... best wishes for a good outcome mate!

To be honest having a mechanical is a good choice, for starters you won't see valve decay in 6 years like you did with the tissue prosthetic (which does sadly happen, although many would prefer to imagine only the upside of marketing claims by makers is "the truth"). INR management isn't difficult and warfarin isn't the daemon which it is made (usually by insinuation) out to be.

There are folks here to assist you with warfarin management, but the only people who can assist you with "Structural Valve Degredation" is a surgeon.

I wish you peace

alesia;n883028 said:
Hi there! I was 39yrs when I chose for a tissue valve for my mitral valve replacement. I am 45 yrs now and theres nothing left of it. I am on beta blockers from my irregular heart beats. My Dr. who did the surgery retired. So I am waiting for another Dr. I have had my TEE test done but not an Angiolgram test . I was told I would not have a choice and I will be given a mechanical valve. I haven t had an answer if I will forever have an A fib and take beta blockers. But its been 3 months of waiting and barely able to walk, I don t care anymore. I just want my health back! I was thinking if the second surgery would be easier as well.

I feel for you, honestly. My situation is not as serious as yours, but I do understand how disappointing it is when the tissue valve doesn't live up to the promise (hype?) Three months sounds like an unreasonable amount of time time to wait for an answer.

Well I am at fault for not going in to have my check ups. And I was very active and was a runner. I should have saw the signs and went to see why I was getting dizzy etc.. I am waiting for an Anglogram test which is a 3 month wait then after I will be given a new Dr. I can honestly say....I will be getting an mechanical valve and I am okay with that : )

alesia;n883053 said:
Well I am at fault for not going in to have my check ups. And I was very active and was a runner.

another angle is that you had a free run without feeling you were in the waiting room after the valve replacement (which IMO is an issue which many feel after they understand that Structural Valve Degradation is not a maybe, its a when ...)

I should have saw the signs and went to see why I was getting dizzy etc.. I am waiting for an Anglogram test which is a 3 month wait then after I will be given a new Dr

I'd say you were listening to your body well enough and when you felt "things weren't right" you went in and found it; that saved you perhaps years of worry about "when" if you'd heard earlier it was failing.

Bottom line is we miss potential head on collisions with cars every day just because people observe a bit of paint on the road.

:)

Update: I went to emerg with swollen legs and thighs. Was in my home town hosp for 4 days til they shipped me to Victoria Jubilee Hosp. I have a new surgeon Dr. Perchinsky and he only uses ONX valves. So I am home for a bit , back to Victoria for a pre-op and surgery on the 28th. Was told second surgery is harder than the first. I am off for 4-6 weeks from work. Last surgery so I don't want to mess it up : )

Alesia,
Glad you have a surgeon and the ducks are lining up. All the best with your upcoming surgery. YOu may want to start a new thread for yourself. :)

Good luck to you, kschroed. Pellicle and others have give you some good insight. :)

Latest posts

Back