Remote INR taking over Coaguchek

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

tom in MO

Those "facts" come from the Peter G. Peterson Foundation "Pete Peterson established the Peter G. Peterson Foundation in 2008 to raise awareness of America’s long-term fiscal challenges and promote solutions to ensure a better economic future. As a non-partisan organization, the Foundation works to put America on a fiscally sustainable path and protect the American Dream that Pete was so fortunate to have lived." By definition that graph is agenda driven and is one man's agenda. Not to be taken at face value.

That data from the OECD shows US health costs 2.5x the OECD average. Is that the average from all 38 countries or just those shown. Why exclude the US from the average? What is meant by "purchasing power parities to convert data into US dollars". Why choose only those 10 countries?

What I get out of that graph is that when it comes to healthcare, the only country more miserly than the UK is Spain :)

LondonAndy

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Those "facts" come from the Peter G. Peterson Foundation "Pete Peterson established the Peter G. Peterson Foundation in 2008 to raise awareness of America’s long-term fiscal challenges and promote solutions to ensure a better economic future. As a non-partisan organization, the Foundation works to put America on a fiscally sustainable path and protect the American Dream that Pete was so fortunate to have lived." By definition that graph is agenda driven and is one man's agenda. Not to be taken at face value.

That data from the OECD shows US health costs 2.5x the OECD average. Is that the average from all 38 countries or just those shown. Why exclude the US from the average? What is meant by "purchasing power parities to convert data into US dollars". Why choose only those 10 countries?

What I get out of that graph is that when it comes to healthcare, the only country more miserly than the UK is Spain :)
There is certainly plenty that is wrong with the UK's NHS - even before the pandemic there have been long delays in some types of elective treatment, and now it is forecast to be years before waiting lists recover. It is a very bureaucratic organisation where, for example even though it is a national organisation, it is split into Trusts for different areas and patient records are all too often not accessible electronically outside of that Trust's area. We also score poorly in some areas such as cancer treatment, where other countries have improved outcomes much more than we have.

But I am not sure why you equate the level of spending with how happy, or miserable, a country's population is: health outcomes are frequently judged to be worse in the US than in other countries, despite the huge extra spending US citizens incur. [Edit - since posting I realise you said miserly, not miserable! Apologies. However, the point remains: outcomes are more important than spending per se].

Health outcomes graphic.JPG

Neither of us have much to celebrate from this graph's comparisons - the UK is second from bottom, and the US is bottom. There is much to be learnt from other countries.

Last edited:

LondonAndy

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
And if only comparing 10 countries concerns you, how about this list - I'm afraid that I had to zoom out of the normal screen size to be able to fit the US in, as that country ranks 37th out of the top 100. (UK is 18th).

Health care international rankings.JPG

Best Healthcare In The World 2021

Latest posts