Remedy for Bruising

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

I know full well and accept that being on Coumadin means i bruise more easily. Ive gotten used to tht. What IM wonder from others on ACT is, while it seems they only way to prevent bruising is to not bump and bang into things... is there any way to remedy bruises when they occur? I get small bruises that appear, from I dont know where. I guess i knock into things without realizing it. But when i do get a bruise is there anything that can be done to speed the healing process and make the bruises go away quicker? They seem to hang around for a week and even two weeks at a time. Is that normal? Does anything help get rid of them sooner?

Do I get this! Especially, deep muscle bruising as when I drop my cell phone on my foot. I frequently have black eyes from rubbing my eyes (allergies) and feel terrible going out with my husband. I look like a domestic violence victim with all the bruises and short sleeves in summer!! Since clot on valve , on 3 blood thinners and maintain high INR but still....Anxious to see what you find out. Thanks for posting.

Rather ironic there should be such a post.
ICE is the answer, for 10min to 15min once or twice an hour.
Like almost_hetic mentioned, I too don't how I get these bruises, but as I type I have frozen peas on my lower back on the upper left "cheek". This bruise is not purple but black, I figure I did something last Monday to cause this (??). I know there is a deep muscle injury cause I can feel a bump. I will continue with the ice until the bump is gone.
I've also had a black eye that also was black in colour, for an ice pack I used frozen water in a small pop bottle, worked great.

Oh Freddie, thats too simple. I live with ice on some part of my body! Need something that works quicker. Saw they had some kind of bruise cream advertised.

Beyond ice, I'm not sure if there's any magic cure. One thing that may help with the bruising is some flesh colored makeup to cover the bruise - the bruise will still be there, but not quite as visible.

If you bruise A LOT, you may want to recheck your INR. I get bruising, and I live with it, but I often do something that I remember later that actually caused the capillaries to break or the skin to bruise. (My biggest injury was dropping a 50 or so pound hunk of marble on my foot -- it took a while for THAT one to finally resolve).

Checking your INR if you have TOO MUCH bruising may be worthwhile. Having a meter that you trust so that you can self-test is an important tool -- and helps to answer the INR question.

I'm very lucky in that I don't bruise easily but it does happen. The "ice thing" that Freddie suggested is the best solution I have ever found. Let the forum know if you find a cream that really works.

I agree with Freddie that I've as soon as you can is the only reliable treatment. If you thin that it's all about blood leaking out of injured capillaries then the constriction of blood flow by ice is the only way to minimise it.

The cremes are in my opinion snake oil

djacq;n867383 said:
Do I get this! Especially, deep muscle bruising as when I drop my cell phone on my foot. I frequently have black eyes from rubbing my eyes (allergies) and feel terrible going out with my husband. I look like a domestic violence victim with all the bruises and short sleeves in summer!! Since clot on valve , on 3 blood thinners and maintain high INR but still....Anxious to see what you find out. Thanks for posting.
Please excuse my curiosity. I had a stent in October last year and one cardiologist suggested I stay on Plavix and Aspirin until the 12 months is up. This would be on top of the Warfarin I'm on now. I compromised, so I'm on Plavix until at least 9 October and then reassess whether to stay on this, or swap to Aspirin.
When you say you're on three blood thinners, do you mean Warfarin, Plavix and Aspirin? Why all three and a high INR?
Sorry, to be nosey.

pellicle;n867391 said:
Freddie you aren't covering for your injuries as xXx Frankie cage fighter are you?

Cage fighter????? uh no - I'd then have a true excuse/reason for this 6 inch black bruise lol

BTW it's been about 6 yrs since the black eye which was caused by an hiding item falling from above my head & the bruise on my right cheek was probably caused by hitting the corner of a table, although I don't remember hitting the table.
In any case my INR on both occasion's was/is in range.

S/O thinks it's time to wrap me up in bubble wrap lol

Agian;n867402 said:
Please excuse my curiosity. I had a stent in October last year and one cardiologist suggested I stay on Plavix and Aspirin until the 12 months is up. This would be on top of the Warfarin I'm on now. I compromised, so I'm on Plavix until at least 9 October and then reassess whether to stay on this, or swap to Aspirin.
When you say you're on three blood thinners, do you mean Warfarin, Plavix and Aspirin? Why all three and a high INR?
Sorry, to be nosey.
Technically, none of these 'thin' the blood. They reduce the risk of clotting, but they don't all do it in the same way.
Warfarin directly effects clotting by acting on the thrombin - the little fibers that actually form a clot. The result of warfarin can be tested in a lab or using a meter - essentially, the test determines how long it takes for blood to clot.
Aspirin (and I think Plavix, also) performs a different function -- it makes the platelets more slippery (there's probably a more technical term, but this is a common explanation of what Aspirin (and, I think, Plavix) is important in reducing risk of clots). When the platelets are more 'slippery,' blood flow can be smoother and, in effect, blood may be more likely to flow around potential clots, rather than getting caught up in an obstruction. Although these don't have an action that can be measured using a meter or prothrombin test, they still have the effect of reducing the risk of clotting.
FWIW - I take an 81 mg aspirin every night at bedtime. This has been recommended, even to people like me with prosthetic valves, as something that won't do any damage, and that could, possibly, further reduce risk of clotting. My doctors know that I take it, and all but first year residents (who know a lot less about this than many of us on the forum) have had no concerns about me taking it.

What are the vegetables Fruits,Root Veg,Beverages should I avoid when having High PT level of 30 and INR 3.2. I was taking .5 Acitrom tabs.

daily and now taking it alternate days.Advise me please.

It sounds like your PT and INR are fine. I just tested and my PT was 36 seconds, with an INR of 2.9 (the INR is a ratio between your PT and the reagent used for the testing). I'm comfortable with that INR. I don't consider it to be high.

I have a St. Jude valve, so my INR is in range. If you don't have a mechanical valve, perhaps you can consider your INR to be higher than necessary.

Having an INR of 3.2 really isn't dangerous. You're not going to bleed to death is you nick yourself while shaving. This means that, if it normally takes 10 seconds for your blood to clot after you get a cut, it'll take 32 seconds. When the INR gets above 4.5 or so, there may be cause for concern, and it may be worrisome if your INR is 6 or higher. (You may ask your doctor to confirm this)

I'm not familiar with Acitrom.

Some fruits and green vegetables will LOWER your INR.

Cranberries or cranberry juice may increase your INR.

There are strange interactions with grapefruits or grapefruit juice.

Personally, I don't worry about an INR of 3.2, and don't consider it to be particularly high.

It sounds like your PT and INR are fine. I just tested and my PT was 36 seconds, with an INR of 2.9 (the INR is a ratio between your PT and the reagent used for the testing). I'm comfortable with that INR. I don't consider it to be high.

I have a St. Jude valve, so my INR is in range. If you don't have a mechanical valve, perhaps you can consider your INR to be higher than necessary.

Having an INR of 3.2 really isn't dangerous. You're not going to bleed to death is you nick yourself while shaving. This means that, if it normally takes 10 seconds for your blood to clot after you get a cut, it'll take 32 seconds. When the INR gets above 4.5 or so, there may be cause for concern, and it may be worrisome if your INR is 6 or higher. (You may ask your doctor to confirm this)

I'm not familiar with Acitrom.

Some fruits and green vegetables will LOWER your INR.

Cranberries or cranberry juice may increase your INR.

There are strange interactions with grapefruits or grapefruit juice.

Personally, I don't worry about an INR of 3.2, and don't consider it to be particularly high.
Thanks Protimenow for the info.I have plans to test my INR by month end.Mine is bioprosthetic valve.I had it in July 2017.Functioning welI.3 reviews over.No complaints detected.do not find excessive bleeding from nicks and cuts.Anyway I will remain careful.I live in a southern Indian town.So no cranberry here.I am careful with grape fruits and mangoes.

Latest posts

Back