Rehab Walking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xalg

I know walking is an important part of therapy. I'm in the cold Northeast, and I'm wondering if it's ok to walk in cold weather.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks,
Al

Hi Al,

Check with your doctor first.

I think wind velocity is more important than actual temperature. Try to head out into the wind. If you feel at all uncomfortable turn around and head for home.

Don't overdo it.

:) :)

Al - I love to walk outside and can't wait until it gets a little nicer so my dogs and I can do our appointed rounds. I would seriously look at a treadmill, however, for those days when it is really nasty. A treadmill, especially one with some of the newer features makes a lot of sense. Here's why: They have timers and distance measurement so you can make sure you have a good workout, and a thorough workout. some of them tie into your DVD player so you can walk/jog though a program with your personal trainer. You will have complete control over your speed. some of them have a built in heart rate monitor so you can be sure you don't exceed your recommended heart rate. Most of them have built in programs that take your though a terrain that will give you some peaks and valleys that most cardiologists like to see. Nuff said ? Chris

My main concern would be if there is ice or snow that you could slip on. If you dress right and the temps (and wind chills) aren't dangerously low I think a brief walk in cold weather should be ok. That's just my opinion though, I would ask your cardio what his thoughts are. I used the treadmill when I was on the road, but when I'm at home I prefer to get the fresh air if possible. Something about the fresh air and scenery makes the walk much more enjoyable.

Hi Al,
After my surgery I found walking was the best rehab.
It really made a huge difference.
But I was told not to walk outside in very cold weather nor very hot weather as well.
I can't wait for spring here in Michigan, it sure has been cold around here.

walking outdoors

walking outdoors

Our daughter was told not to walk outdoors if it was cold or hot. She found that walking outdoors in cooler weather was uncomfortable. We live in southern CA, so cooler weather is under 60 degrees unless the sun is brightly shining, so the "real feel" is warmer. She also found that windy days are not good for walking.

socworm's Mom

Cold air puts a strain on your lungs which you may want to avoid.

If you're looking to walk during winter months try going to a mall or any building/facility that might have long hallways and corridors.

Maybe a college campus or local schools (in the afternoon after classes let out for te day)

We've got a college campus here that has some great indoor corridors and tunnels from building to building plus the athletics facility has a number of gyms and an indoor track AND regular hallways connecting the old and new buildings are pretty long themselves. Our local high school has a number of teachers that do walking or running for fitness every day after school, I don't see why you couldn't talk to someone in the administration and ask if you could just walk the halls for maybe 30 minutes or an hour after school lets out...

Stay out of the cold, it's not worth the effort really unless you're already an experienced runner or something.

Latest posts

Back