Quantcast

Regurgitation Age of Surgery

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Superman

This data set would be all over the board. I had regurgitation. I also had stenosis. I was 17 for my first. One might be able to find a bell curve in the data set, but I don’t know how useful this would be to make any kind of prediction for individuals.

Reactions: Eva

Warrick

Murmer picked up in 2008 but after an echo I was never told I had a bicuspid valve, next time at the doctors was 2011 where I was informed about the bicuspid valve and I was told its nothing to worry about just have it checked in 10 years time.
Only googled it a few years later and found out it was actually not a good thing to have.
I suspected it was failing maybe 6 months to a year before I finally went to the doctors ( short of breath, dizzy spells, afib, jaw pain which I only found out after avr that was a sympton) in July 2015 which started the ball rolling and had it replaced in November of that year when I was 38.

tom in MO

I read a paper about autopsies done on Italians who had a BAV and died from it. They ranged in age between ~17 to ~85 with median being 55.

Chuck C

I'm BAV, age 53 and have not needed surgery yet. On some echos they pick up mild or trace regurgitation on either my mitral or aortic valve, but sometimes they don't. The main issue for me is the stenosis, which is near the moderate/severe threshold at this point. It is interesting that my regurgitation will sometimes be mild and then the next echo it will come back negative. I'm sure it is common for it to get progressively worse, just wonder if others find that sometimes it moves in the better direction.

Latest posts