Regular checkups after heart valve replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobi

I had my aortic valve replaced in 2012 at an overseas hospital. So I do not have any cardiologist taking care of me in UK. I have never been for a check up or had an ultra sound so I was wondering if I should ask my GP to refer me to a cardiologist. I am 75.

I had my aortic valve replaced in 2012 at an overseas hospital. So I do not have any cardiologist taking care of me in UK. I have never been for a check up or had an ultra sound so I was wondering if I should ask my GP to refer me to a cardiologist. I am 75.

Hi Mobi.

Yes, you should absolutely ask your GP or a referall to a cardiologist. You will want to get an echo to see how the valve is doing. The cardiologist will then tell you how often he wants to check in on your valve with a follow up echo.

I’ve been followed my whole life. Had my valve replaced in 1990 and kept up with regular checkups (every year or two) since then. This caught my aneurysm in 2009. I’m on an every other year schedule now.

One could argue at 75, occasional check ups with a cardiologist would be a good idea for anyone, not just a valve patient.

I second Superman's thoughts. I have never really had any symptoms from my BAV or aneurysm, so the follow ups and diagnostics studies were key in advising me when to schedule the second surgery. Aortic aneurysm can be a silent killer for those who don't follow it.

I have an appointment with cardiologist coming up at 1 year in a week or so. Will probably get an echo and go over it with him at the visit. Have to make sure the root looks good. I saw on ct scan that I have an extra set of wire tie off in picture which is probably how he tied off my left atrial appendage (I guess), didn’t have anything else done. You need to have a cardiotron to keep tabs of you.

Hi

I spotted Thailand and immediately thought of another member
https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/how-scared-should-i-be.888016/
so if I may ask:
  1. what valve did you have
  2. what medications are you on (scratched, found Amlodipine 10Mg daily in bio)
  3. are you in Thailand now or the UK? (bio says one thing, but you mention the UK above...)
1646542069315.png

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have said that I moved back to the UK in 2017. My current meds for heart-related matters are warfarin, amlodipine, bisoprolol, enalapril, atorvastatin. All the foregoing are for high blood pressure, and warfarin of course because of my metal aortic valve.

My valve is St Jude.

In spite of all these meds, my BP is still high with the systolic in the mid 150s and spiking higher than this.

Another reason to be referred - my GP doesn't want to tinker with my meds.

Sorry, I should have said that I moved back to the UK in 2017. My current meds for heart-related matters are warfarin, amlodipine, bisoprolol, enalapril, atorvastatin. All the foregoing are for high blood pressure, and warfarin of course because of my metal aortic valve.

My valve is St Jude.

In spite of all these meds, my BP is still high with the systolic in the mid 150s and spiking higher than this.

Another reason to be referred - my GP doesn't want to tinker with my meds.

You do seem overdue for referral to a cardiologist and a cardio checkup, it would be wise to do so, especially with your BP concerns.

Concerning your BP, Diastolic is also very important, is it usually <80?
Are you careful about your salt consumption? (Salt is a Big contributor to high BP)
My cardiologist recommended that BP measurement should always be done in groupings of 3

all the best

Back