Reducing Coumadin prior to drinking alcohol?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWalk

I haven't drank alcohol since my surgery last June. However I'll probably have 2-3 beers at an event this weekend. I'm pretty fanatical about my INR and test at home weekly. My recommended range is 2.0-3.0. I like to stay in the 2.4-2.8 area. Last week, I was 3.2 (the highest I've ever been), so I reduced my dose by .25 mg/day. Should I slightly reduce my Coumadin dose for 1-2 days prior to the event? Perhaps take 5.5mg, instead of my normal 6? Along the same line, my wife and I are going on tropical vacations this Fall and Winter. I'm sure (in that atmosphere) I'll be drinking daily for the 7 days we're there. I know moderation is the key, but should I plan on slightly reducing my Coumadin dose given that scenario?

A couple beers probably will have little effect on INR. I would not hold any warfarin prior to the event but since you home monitor check your INR next Tuesday to see any effect. Years ago, when I had the surgery, I was prescribed a beer a nite while in the hospital post AVR (about 8-10 days) since beer is a pretty good diuretic.

After a week in Prague drinking about 2 litres most nights mine was 3.5

I dropped my dose as a response from 7 to 6.5 on the evening of the measurement only.

Not that being 3.5 is in any way risky, but I just wanted to see. 4 days later it was 2.5 (But my beer drinking ceased too :)

Perhaps the information in my blog post on 2016 will provide my why as to not being worried at 3.5

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2017/01/2016-inr-data.html

Ah, never mind. I see that you've already commented on it. But I personally wouldn't adjust my coumadin 'just in case' something happens, and only adjust when required. I mean, without knowing your tolerance, you could reduce your coumadin and then the alcohol has no effect, leading to your INR dropping into a perhaps unsafe range.

Enjoy in moderation, test when the times comes and adjust if needed.

My father had AVR 30+ years ago and would get highly pissed most weekends and alcohol never affected his INR, so the effects can vary greatly

I think adjusting it before you drink would be a big stab in the dark even if you did have a rough idea how much it would affect things

Thanks everyone. Your comments make total sense. I'll keep my dose consistent and see how the alcohol affects my INR (if at all).

Latest posts

Back