red wine..heart healthy??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paula

I have read many of you state that drinking a glass of red wine is good for your heart. Maybe some of you could help me out...I do not drink, I have on ocassion, but not often. What is the best type of red wine to get? I looked today and was TOTALLY lost on types and names. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Hello Paula,

I believe the major benefit of red wine is for Coronary Artery Disease.

I believe surgery the best solution for those of us with Valve Disease.

Your comments about heart disease and heart transplantation expertise in Finland were interesting. My Aortic Valve was replaced (with a St. Jude Mechanical Valve) by the head of the Heart Transplantation Department at the University of Alabama Hospital at Birmingham in May of this year.

Best wishes for your surgery and a smooth recovery.

'AL'

I'm no expert, but I'm sure the benefits that I've read about are something that would be worth starting drinking for.

Some of us use it as an excuse to have the occasional glass though.

:D

Kev

Hi Paula,
I read that if you were already someone who drank, that drinking red wine was not bad for coronary artery disease (CAD), but if you don't drink, then don't start just to get the small benefit from red wine because one is better off not drinking.

Maybe ask you cardiologist's office. I bet they have a person who deals with nutrition and diet for CAD patients.

-Mara

Paula

Paula

The best advice is if you do not drink alchol at all, don't start now. Alchol causes more health problems, no matter how much you drink. I drink rarely, if ever. I never listen to people on radio or television who make claims that drinking a little something prevents a health problem. So if you don't drink any now. don't start now. I come from a large family of drinking problems and it messed up their health. So please do not listen to radicals that work for alchol industry, it is just for money to them. Take care.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St, Jude's valve

Just want to mention this. It might not apply to everyone here, but it could happen.

There is a condition called cardiac cirrhosis. It's caused when blood and other fluids back up inside the liver. It causes scarring just like any other cirrhosis. All I can tell you is that Joe has been suffering with CHF for quite a while. And it cause this problem for him. He will have to be careful of his liver for the rest of his life even though his CHF is under control. The liver damage is there and always will be.

So I wouldn't listen to those who advocate starting to drink alcohol, if you don't now do it.

Heart people are special.

Back