Recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB42

Hi all,

Sorry, I have not been on much since my surgery back in January. Today is my 16 week anniversary and I am feeling great with my new tissue valve. I did 6 sessions of cardiac rehab before being released. I am actively back on the treadmill walking/running and hitting the weights again! I was fortunate to lose weight leading up to my surgery as well as post-surgery. I hit a couple of bumps in the road during my recovery, as expected, but overall hit my milestones that were described to me prior to surgery!

Cardiac rehab was interesting because I was relatively young compared to most of the patients. Although I received strange looks when I first began, I quickly found out that the more senior patients were just looking for someone to be proactive and say "hi" to them. I found them enjoying the time to just "talk." It was a refreshing feeling to lend an ear :)

I jokingly tell anyone that is looking to lose weight, based off of my experience, to have OHS - LOL

Thank GOD for modern medicine and the ability of the doctors out there to perform OHS with relative ease.

I did not know this until I started volunteering with the American Heart Association, but not only is heart disease the number one killer of men, BUT also women! My first guess would have been breast cancer, but 1 in 30 die of breast cancer while 1 in 3 die of heart disease (that's about one every minute!). Please try to get involved with your local chapter and support AHA's great cause!

Best,

Scott
- 42 years old - Open Heart Surgery / Bicuspid Aortic Valve Replacement (BAVR) – 01/18/2012 – Virginia Hospital Center – Dr. John Garrett
- St. Jude Medical Bovine Trifecta Tissue Valve (TF-21A)

Nice to hear from you!!
Glad everything is going well,
Hope it continues for you :)
Love Sarah xxx

Back