Recovery Trajectory Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EasterRat;n873258 said:
Hey hey...simmer down over there folks
EasterRat, there are some folks on this forum that are from Australia and are influenced by their tendency to be frank and tactless, but they are really kind, considerate, and well informed blokes. Communication with these folks can lead to misunderstanding as do those like me who often do a bad job of putting satire and humor in our writing. So don't take it personally - just mark it up to we are from the US (or Mars) and they are from somewhere else (or Venus).

EasterRat;n873258 said:
My question: I have not heard a whole lot about what to expect as I move from 8 weeks to 8 months to 8 years. I know at some point I will or hope to be considered 'normal' in terms of heart function and that I will be able to return to whatever activity I desire and I know that I am obviously not there or even close yet. I am not impatient. I am not pushing it. I am simply curious: when did you get to the point where you resumed being you and stopped framing everything with the cautionary heart tale? Clear enough?

Your question is a good one, but there is no one answer. As you can expect we are all different. My doc said after I recovery from the surgery, I would be as fit as before I had Aortic Stenosis. He set my expectation that recovery would take 6 - 12 months, but after 3 months, I was unlimited. Well, unlimited in the sense that he lectured me that I was not a kid anymore and that I should not push myself, or heart, to where I can not say a sentence without taking a breath. For me, after 3 months after OHS, that takes 60 minutes of walking on a treadmill at 3 mph. I'm trying to train to do a thru hike with my son for 50 - 100 miles in the Rockies. The issues is, for me, being 73 years old, there is rarely a time when something doesn't hurt, so it is difficult to tell if the hurt is heart related or just being 73. My advice to you is listen to your body and you will be surprised as how fast you do recover.

Hi

FredW;n873264 said:
EasterRat, there are some folks on this forum that are from Australia and are influenced by their tendency to be frank and tactless,

It's a communication style influenced by culture

just mark it up to we are from the US (or Mars) and they are from somewhere else (or Venus).

Well for myself (valentines day not withstanding) I'd pick a different planet for myself. Probably the 7th planet out...

:)

But Fred is on the money with this and Australians have a long history of being totally misunderstood by Yanks and Pommies alike ;-)

I think uncle Clint has done a good job of portraying Australian communication style in his movie Grand Tourino. Which is odd to me because they are supposed to be Americans... maybe he's an Australian at heart?

My incision and procedure were different from yours, EasterRat, but I think the overall impact of OHS (general anesthesia, bypass machine, heart being opened up, etc.) is pretty similar. I felt completely normal in terms of energy level at 5 months after surgery and in terms of aerobic fitness at 6 months out.

FredW;n873264 said:
EasterRat, there are some folks on this forum that are from Australia and are influenced by their tendency to be frank and tactless, but they are really kind, considerate, and well informed blokes. Communication with these folks can lead to misunderstanding as do those like me who often do a bad job of putting satire and humor in our writing. So don't take it personally - just mark it up to we are from the US (or Mars) and they are from somewhere else (or Venus).

Hey hey, slow down there big shoots, I hail from the people's independent republic of CANADA, not to be confused with that ***show down south right now. I think old pellicle and I have more in common with humour than might be evident to some. Most of my post was in humour...guess it's not as universal as I fancied it!

pellicle;n873269 said:
Hi

It's a communication style influenced by culture

There's culture in Australia? I thought it was all criminal ancestors and angry Roos. I hear you can drink though, not like our American friends. Most of what I know about those parts comes from one of my fave shows, Flight of the Concords (sp?) New Zealand and Australia is basically the same thing, right? :)

pellicle;n873269 said:
But Fred is on the money with this and Australians have a long history of being totally misunderstood by Yanks and Pommies alike ;-)

Don't you try to play that mysterious bloke with an accent game on me, young lady...I've been around a block or two :p

I truly appreciate all the comments I have received here so far, this is a great community, I did not mean to come across as ornery, just wanted to assure people that I am not one of them crazy hyper pushing to heal guys, as I truly am not...I just like to play out scenarios in my head ahead of time...increases reaction time dontchaknow....

Peace and chicken grease!

D

Hi
EasterRat;n873274 said:
There's culture in Australia?
I can assure you when doing my microbiology degree I cultured quite a few ;-)
I think this site is a good start to learning about Austraya (as it is said locally)
https://thingsboganslike.com/2010/03...tellectualism/

I thought it was all criminal ancestors and angry Roos.

an understandable misconception ... the criminals are largely confined to our Political Class and upper Business classes, the rest of us only wish we could break in.

I hear you can drink though, not like our American friends.

having spent time in Finland I can assure you we are rank amateurs ...

New Zealand and Australia is basically the same thing, right? :)

well I'm sure that Warrick may have something to day about that ...

Don't you try to play that mysterious bloke with an accent game on me, young lady...I've been around a block or two :p

these reports of me cross dressing are indeed mistaken (I only do it at home), but I can assure you that I'm not transgender.

;-)

..just wanted to assure people that I am not one of them crazy hyper pushing to heal guys, as I truly am not...I just like to play out scenarios in my head ahead of

*nod* understood (now) I stand by my earlier suggestions of a HR monitor and training yourself for yourself. I've yet to meet a rehab or fitness therapist who actually looked carefully at you and tuned their advice for you. They tend to regurgigate what they've seen everyone else who looks like you go through.

Best Wishes

PS: this documentary should help you out with understanding how NZ is currently leading Austraya in the areas of Genetic Research:

To the original question ... generally at 2.5 to 3 months you are given the green light to do what you want. Full recovery is generally considered to be 6 months to a year. I was swimming before 3 months but I took it easy for a long time and would say it was well over a year, maybe 2, before I felt as fit as I did pre-surgery ... but I was in no hurry.

Back