Recovery Time

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cebolla59

I am due to have a mechanical aortic valve redo at the end of the month having had a tissue valve which now needs replacing after 10 years.

I'm 62 and pretty fit.

Assuming no complications am I being over ambitious in looking to book an overseas holiday for mid March which would involve a 6 hour flight?

10 years ago I seem to recall that I recovered pretty quickly.

I would welcome views.

Gary

The flight should be ok. You'll be on warfarin, so you don't have to worry about deep vein thrombosis. You may still notice you feel tired sooner if you have a strenuous holiday planned (though probably some on here ran marathons after a month!)
I had my redo at age 65, and see from my calendar that 7 weeks later I went on an all-day hiking trip that was about 4 hours roundtrip driving, plus several hours hiking (downhill). And I'm no athlete.
Good luck with your surgery. I think it's a good idea to have a holiday to look forward to after the surgery.

I am due to have a mechanical aortic valve redo at the end of the month having had a tissue valve which now needs replacing after 10 years.

I'm 62 and pretty fit.

Assuming no complications am I being over ambitious in looking to book an overseas holiday for mid March which would involve a 6 hour flight?

10 years ago I seem to recall that I recovered pretty quickly.

I would welcome views.

Gary
Just do what you did 10 years ago. No pulling up for a few weeks. No picking up no more than 5 pounds for a few weeks. Do take walks for the circulation. And feel happy.

Latest posts

Back