Recent BAV Diagnosis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbait

Hi all!

First off, I'd like to express my gratitude for all of you here. I've read through many threads and been following the message board activity for a few weeks now. I've learned a lot from the members here in a very short time.

Back in August, I went to the doc and complained of anxiety and the sensation of my own heartbeat. Everything checked out when he listened to my heart, took my EKG, and felt my pulse for skipped beats, but he had me come back for an echo just to be safe. A week and a half later I got a call that I had a leaky valve and I should see a cardio (which caused complete panic). Went to the cardio and was told eventually I would need intervention in 5, 10, maybe 15 years but not to worry and no restrictions other than not overdoing it with weight lifting. I didn't feel comfortable with the first cardio, so went to see a second on referral from a doctor friend. The second spent a lot more time with me and eased my mind. He gave me another echo and found the bicuspid valve (also mentioned seeing a little calcification at the base of the valve). He also listened closely to my heart and could barely hear a murmur that he said 99.99% of internists would miss. He estimated I would have between 10 and 25 years before surgery and also noted that I shouldn't look too deeply into today's methods since they will probably be antiquated by the time I'm due for surgery. It was also relieving to hear him say that my palpitations weren't life threatening or related to my valve.

My echo showed mild-moderate aortic regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation, and trace mitral regurgitation with no left ventricular hypertrophy and no evidence of aortic root dilation. No mention of stenosis, but I think my peak jet velocity was 2.67 m/s which would put me at mild?

I'm only 26 years old and up until a few months ago had been in the best shape of my life going to the gym and lifting 3 or 4 times a week so this has all been a shock to me, and I'm still processing and fearful a few months after my diagnosis. I think I've come to terms with the fact that I will need surgery eventually and it will hopefully give me a full life when I have it, but I've also come to understand that it is a disease of the entire aorta with associated risks of dissection, which although low can be catastrophic. Endocarditis is also a fear, but my cardio said he has mainly seen it in intravenous drug users but will prescribe me antibiotics before dental work just to be safe.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give full details and maybe give something back to the vr community if I have anything new to put out there.

I don't believe it effects the entire aorta. I was given the impression from my surgeon that the area that is likely to become aneurysmal is from the root to the arch , if anywhere. I had my aneurysm replaced with a graft in February 2015. I had the root, ascending and hemi arch replaced. I take antibiotics when I get dental work, no biggie, and as for endocarditis I know it's a possibility but TBH I don't really think about it. I get cuts and scratches as much as I ever did. I practice good dental hygiene and plow ahead.

gatorbait;n880889 said:
Hi all!........

....... He estimated I would have between 10 and 25 years before surgery and also noted that I shouldn't look too deeply into today's methods since they will probably be antiquated by the time I'm due for surgery. It was also relieving to hear him say that my palpitations weren't life threatening or related to my valve.

Hi gatorbait. Welcome to this site. Your diagnosis of bicuspid valve is the most frequent reason for corrective valve surgery......and you have had two cardios tell you it's years down the road. Don't let it affect your life now.....but keep an eye on it. It is very fixable and like your doc says "don't look too deeply into today's methods".....since the corrective method is bound to change. I have had an artificial valve since about your age and have found that it has interfered only a little with my life.

BTW, your comment regarding intravenous drug users and endocarditis struck a nerve with me. I visit open heart surgical patients at one of our local hospitals and have seen about 300 OHS patients in 2017. Most have Bypass surgery(CABG)......but there have been about 50-60 valve replacements that included 4 young men who had aortic valves replaced due to endocarditis caused by intravenous drug use and "dirty needles".....very sad.

Cldlhd: It's interesting what the disease affects and what it doesn't. I'll follow your lead and diligently take my antibiotics before the dentist :)

Dick: It's very encouraging to see your response. It's amazing that you've gone 50 years with your valve and a true testament to modern medical technology. I apologize if I struck a nerve. I only meant to say that it encouraged me that I don't personally have that risk factor. I agree that it is very sad and I truly hope those young men have turned into AVR success stories. Also, it's great to hear that you have given back by visiting those who have gone through the surgery. The world needs more of that type of caring for one another.

gatorbait, welcome to the forum. Like you I received much comfort and encouragement from the folks here when I was a newbie. As to your case, I second what dick wrote: you have years to go before surgery is needed so don't become overly worried. Follow your cardio' advice about the weights, take the antibiotics as directed, and continue regular checkups to keep an eye on things.

Gatorbait - Sorry for coming so late to the party, but life got in the way (was out East, visiting family). You've gotten "the warning call" but not the "panic buzzer." I would advise you to take it as it is described -- as a warning to keep a watch on your valve(s). . . but for now, that's about all.

I received a similar diagnosis (moderate to severe valve condition, no symptoms) when I was in my early 50's. I was (and still am) a 5 days/week gym rat. At that time I was lifting moderate weights (bench-pressing my body weight plus for multiple sets of 10 reps), running, doing things men 10-20 years my junior were doing. Once I was diagnosed, I was in near-panic. . . then I met my "great" cardio.

This doc had a specialty in valve diseases and conditions among young to middle-aged patients. His instructions were to do annual echo's and watch my valve. His only restriction for me, similar to your cardio's, was to stop lifting any weights over 25-30 pounds. This was to reduce the likelihood of blood pressure spikes when lifting. Nothing else in my life changed for many years.

Just over 11 years after diagnosis, at age 63, I had my valve replaced. My stenosis had progressed and although I was pretty much asymptomatic, the echo readings were troubling. Into the OR I went, having a bovine tissue valve implanted. My recovery was rough (can you spell train wreck?), but I kept going until after about a year, I was back to where I started from (well, other than the impact my pacemaker has on my exercise routine).

I know this is a long story, but I just wanted to impart to you the message that it is really important to keep a close watch on your valve. Now that you know there is a problem which may progress, you need to keep periodic measurements to allow you and your cardio to see how fast things progress (if they actually do), and to be well aware if and when surgery is called for. Until then, just live your life. That's the best way to handle it. Don't worry about fixing anything until something is really broken, and that hasn't happened yet.

I see antibiotics are mentioned. I am not sure you need to worry about that until you have a new valve. That being said I know a guy who did not take his antibiotics before dental work and got an infection in his new valve and had to have it replaced. So once you do get a new valve, it is important to pre-med for the dentist. And I know it is easier said than done, but don't worry, and just make your follow up appointments with the cardiologist and make sure everything is humming along ok. I would be careful lifting and make sure you breath while doing it. And of course cardio is probably the best for heart health. Also, your cardiologist may want to put you on a cholesterol lowering drug and if not, start cutting some of the cholesterol out of your diet. Stack the deck in your favor and you will be fine.

Hi

just wanted to say that I agree with all of the points made above

gatorbait;n880889 said:
... A week and a half later I got a call that I had a leaky valve and I should see a cardio.... Went to the cardio and was told eventually I would need intervention in 5, 10, maybe 15 years but not to worry and no restrictions other than not overdoing it with weight lifting....

well it sounds like you are now walking the right path and have made some good decisions.

Its a journey and you won't find the answers immediately (and even if you do it will take time to truly grok them).

In time you'll gather more information and the panic will subside and be replaced by confidence and calm.

Best Wishes

gatorbait, not sure if you saw this story which i posted some time back. Quite interesting and provides perspective on a person who has worked through this issue over many years. It might be interesting to get him to join this forum and offer advice to people who have questions about how to continue training through a BAV diagnosis.

Great story on fitness trainer with BAV

September 29th, 2017, 11:29 AM

https://www.menshealth.com/health/da...-valve-disease

This Trainer Was Warned His Heart Could ‘Explode’ If He Lifted Over 50 Pounds ​ Find out how he stays fit—and inspires other guys to do the same.

from the article...

Geraci eased into lifting with a new game plan: He’d stick to higher reps, lower weights, and focus on keeping his breath easy and continuous so that his blood pressure would stay stable.

Geraci now has a master’s in exercise physiology and owns a gym in Chicago called Hardpressed, where he teaches his steady breathing method to all of his clients—even those with healthy hearts.

“The idea is to move the weights slowly so you’re always in control, as opposed to the violent pushing and pulling you might see in Olympic weight lifting,” he says.

Thank you all for the responses. I've been enjoying the holidays and spending time with friends and family, so I haven't checked back in until now.

I've gradually been calming down, and the responses you've all given have been great towards that.

It seems there's very little to worry about at this point in time.

The story on the fitness trainer was quite interesting. Along the same lines, I saw another thread about a football (American) player that reached the NFL with a repaired BAV. And everybody knows about Schwarzenegger. So I figure I must be in pretty good company if they could continue at an elite level.

Glad to be a part of the community, and I'll make sure to try and pop in every now and then as time permits.

On that note Aaron Boone is also another story that may be of interest to you. He played until he had his valve repaired in 2009 and I think went back to play for a little bit longer.

That's really interesting. I was unaware of his BAV. I know John Fox also had surgery for his and he's had a long football career as a player and coach.

It makes me wonder about the weight lifting restrictions I hear of for some people. I also forgot to mention the second cardio I saw said no restrictions whatsoever, pointing out that a patient he knew of that had surgery was a bodybuilder. Being conservative, I don't really plan on pushing myself with high weight low rep exercises.

Is the risk of dissection generally not a worry without aneurysm or dilation of the aorta?

This could also be of interest to you...

http://www.athletesheart.org/2013/09/more-on-athletes-and-bicuspid-aortic/ [h=1]More on Athletes and Bicuspid Aortic Valve (BAV)[/h] September 26, 2013 By Larry Creswell, MD 128 Comments

I probably get more inquiries from athletes with bicuspid aortic valve (BAV) than any other single heart problem. Maybe that’s not surprising, given that I’m a heart surgeon and that many individuals with BAV need operation at some point. Nonetheless, I think there’s considerable confusion about this condition, in terms of diagnosis, implications for the athlete, and its treatment.

I first wrote about BAV in a short post here at the blog back in 2009. That post is a starting point for today’s discussion.

gatorbait, you may also want to give consideration to diet which may help with valve stenosis due to calcium deposits. There are some studies being done into the role of vitamin K2. There is also some commentary on the role of cholesterol, sugar and soda. But in general it would seem that a healthier lifestyle could be quite beneficial although there are of course genetic factors that you can't control through diet.

In any case, avoiding stenosis is important as it, among other things, increases your chances of a repair in case it comes down to some form of intervention. In general, they have been able to produce great results with leaky valves (regurgitation) but not so with stenosis.

all the best,
David

Gatorbait, don't sweat it man. You'll be fine for a while maybe your whole life. I have BAV (32), my brother has it (28), my uncle (60ish) has it and we all live no different than if we had a normal valve. Unfortunately, I am actually up for surgery due to LV dialation but I have no symptoms. I only know i have BAV because of the hereditary trait but it hasn't affected my lifestyle or activity choice. I work out all the time, play hockey, used to do heavy weight lifting in college, but have no reason to think that BAV should cause you to live life in a bubble. In fact i went to the Cardiologist because I was worried about dropping over in the middle of a hockey game....you know you always hear about players that had a cardiac event in the middle of a game, but my cardiologist said it was very unlikely for a BAV and if I ever felt really bad just go take a break for a while. Eventually it may catch up to you as it did me an you may need surgery but based on my experience and my brothers and uncles you shouldn't let it affect you living your normal life until you may need surgery, if ever.

DJM 18: All good info to have. In regards to the dietary considerations, my diet is generally pretty good. I almost never drink soda and rarely eat red meat in favor of fish and chicken for protein. Occasionally give in to sugar, but not the type to have dessert after dinner.

WillieR: Thanks for chiming in. I see that's your first post, so welcome from a fellow noob. Understand the worry you had when you hear stories every now and then. I remember Kris Letang had an issue with a hole in the heart a few years ago and a Russian kid named Alexei Cherepanov died after a shift in the KHL, but those were completely unrelated to BAV.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! From reading tons of posts on this forum, it seems you should come out of it feeling better than you knew you could.

I was diagnosed, but just with a "murmur," when I was you age. I'm now 65. Over the years echo techniques improved and I was diagnosed with aortic insufficiency and "probable" – and, later confirmed by more sophisticated imaging – BAV.

Over all of these years I've made sure I had an echo once a year. I have moved around the country and have had them in various hospitals and facilities - and I have seen many cardiologists over those years...some better than others. I've been my own advocate and monitored my valve like a hawk. My "moderate to severe regurgitation" has been interpreted differently by the various docs.

But...I'm still in the waiting room!

Oddly, the one thing no doctor ever said to me until a few years ago was that BAV increases your risk of an aortic aneurism. It wasn't until I had moved back here to San Diego after a brief move away that the head of cardiology at UCSD (my previous cardiologist had retired) suggested I get a baseline CT scan of my aorta. He likely saw something on the echo. It confirmed an aneurism of my ascending aorta. So...I monitor it with intermittent. MRIs and CT scans and, of course, the echo.

My point to you is this: Get your echo - they can see a lot, including the size of your aorta. It may not be the clearest picture or the most accurate measurement, but it gives the docs something to go on. Don't be afraid to mix it up every now and then with different doctors and facilities.

Otherwise, watch your blood pressure, listen to what the docs say about weight lifting (it is the ONE constant advice over all of these years) and go about your life. BAV is not a death sentence. Just be glad you know what you have.

And...if you Google "bicuspid valve," you will find quite a bit, including a foundation dedicated to it and a program dedicated to BAV at Northwestern in Chicago.

Onward...!!!

bizinsider;n881075 said:
I was diagnosed, but just with a "murmur," when I was you age. I'm now 65.
I've been my own advocate and monitored my valve like a hawk. My "moderate to severe regurgitation" has been interpreted differently by the various docs.
Onward...!!!

Welcome

...and what a great first post. Full of positive support and optimism.

Best Wishes.

gatorbait, one additional consideration is a recommendation that is often made to inform first degree relatives of your diagnosis. While more often sporadic, it is at times familial and there is a documented 9% probability that first degree relatives may also have a BAV. Although a small probability it is important so they are informed.

As Bizinsider well said this is not a life sentence, in fact most people do not even know they have a bicuspid valve, but it is important to know what you have, just in case.

This post by SumoRunner related to your initial post (although not BAV) is truly extraordinary and worth reading...

SumoRunner;n39558 said:
Twenty years today and all is well. Here's the text from an article I wrote for the local road runners club.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty Years A Pioneer
by Jack Berkery

Twenty years, two decades, almost a full third of my life and a long, long time in anyone's estimation. That's how long I have survived past my due date, but more than survive, I have thrived. This coming July it will be 20 years since I got an aortic valve replacement. For those who have not been club members that long, I wrote about it in the Pace Setter in 1991 when it was first installed and again at 5, 10 and 15 year intervals, so now it's time for another quintennial update.

If the heart valve had not been replaced, I may have lived about 5 more years, 10 if I was careful, but 15, possibly not and 20, no chance. In those twenty years I've celebrated 30th and 40th wedding anniversaries, gotten to see all our children grow into responsible adults, three of them educated all the way to a doctorate, enjoyed spoiling the bejeepers out of three grandchildren with more on the way. All of which could have happened without me to witness, but medical science allowed a more positive alternative. And then there's running. I was a runner for many years prior to the open heart surgery and determined to remain one after. Fortunately I did.

I had a heart valve defect since early childhood. Damaged by Rheumatic Fever at the age of 5 and again at 10, the heart murmur kept me out of sports, the military and most any type of exertion for the first couple decades of my life. The first time I encountered limitations was in 1963 at age 15 when I tried out for the high school cross country team. The sports team doctor shunted me aside and said no competitive sports, not now, not ever. It was assumed in those days that such heart problems could only get worse, so the prescription was to take it easy for the rest of your, perhaps short life. I can remember a conversation between the family doctor and my mother when he told her I could live a normal life until some time in my 40s but thereafter things could get dicey. No, it wasn't upsetting at all. To a kid, 40 is so ancient as to be beyond comprehension. He was right though, since it did begin to fail at age 42 but on the other hand he was wrong since by that time there were options that made it far from dicey.

At age 18 I was called up in the draft as the Viet Nam war raged and they needed tens of thousands of new recruits each month. At the initial physical I was actually passed and expected to be sworn in any day. The selective service physical was a cattle call with hundreds of young men being shuttled through several examination rooms and given only a very cursory examination, so it was easy for a thing like that to get missed on the initial exam. More or less walking through the door constituted acceptance. Little did I know though, that my own family doctor sat on the local draft review board. The moment he saw my name, I got a 4F classification, unfit for military duty. I guess since a few of my friends later came home with scars, missing parts or in body bags, that was somewhat fortunate, but getting an official US Government designation as unfit is damaging to a young man's ego. It weighed heavily on my psyche thereafter. I still have that draft card somewhere, could never bring myself to throw it away.

Somewhere along the line the medical community came to the realization that even defective hearts could benefit from a good workout. I don't remember when I heard about that and I'm certain no one told me to revise the "take it easy for life" strategy. I simply decided at some point that I was not going to be a sedentary type any longer. Exactly when I began to run on a regular basis escapes me now. I have memories of running around Prospect Park in Troy in 1972 and around the neighborhood after moving to a new home in 1973. I also recall, in one of those famous where were you when moments, that I was just returning from a run when I found out President Richard Nixon was resigning. That was August of 1974. Running was an on again, off again thing for a few years and I wouldn't have called myself a real runner until I entered my first race in 1978.

1978 changed everything. I had turned 30 and finally I was no longer the sickly weakling I had been forced to be as a youth. I could work out as well as anyone. By then of course my doctor was well aware and approved of the exercise, which was more than running. It was also daily sit-ups, push-ups, cycling and occasional light weight lifting. Mostly running though. I just took to it like a fish to water. It turns out that I have poor strength, very little speed but stamina to beat the band. Being sedentary through the teens and twenties I never knew what type of athletics I might be cut out for. At age 30 I discovered it.

That year was the 100th anniversary of GE where I worked and there were many different celebrations. Among them was a fitness challenge. A jog-a-thon, not a high intensity or high mileage thing, just a challenge to get in shape by the fall when they scheduled a 10K road race. I started keeping a running log and averaged just over 3 miles a day which as it turns out is still about the same amount I continue to run today. Over a span of decades though, it accumulates to some fairly impressive numbers. The logs which I continue to keep and still retain now total nearly 35,000 miles. The circumference of the earth being a mere 25,000 makes it sound even more significant. All on what most distance runners consider very modest training.

That first race was a one time only event which was never repeated but the second one I entered, the Stockade-athon is still my favorite because I have now done it 27 times. That's one accomplishment that I'm quite proud of, simply being able to make it to the starting line that many years, the majority of which were after the heart surgery. Many more races followed of course. I prefer to train for a good hard mile on the track or 5K road races. I've done hundreds of races in these 5 decades and continue doing sometimes 30 or more a year. No marathons though. The reason for that was early on, when I first began getting in shape my wife, who is a far greater worry wart than most, made me promise to avoid marathons. I kept my word and have been quite happy not to subject myself to that abuse.

As a stocky guy I've never been an especially fast runner, never broke the 6 minute barrier for the mile, never faster than 20 minutes for a 5K, but I was consistent throughout my 30s and into the early 40s. One particularly eventful stretch was from 40 to 41 when I ran several all-time personal bests at distances between 2 Km and 15 Km. There were never any age group awards for me, the local talent was far too deep to penetrate that far up in the pack, but I was ecstatic to continue to run PR's into my 40s. There was a 43:04 10K and a 67:03 15K, times I'd give me eye teeth for these days and most 40-somethings would consider very respectable. I was on a tear for those two years, training and racing at peak performance and feeling superbly fit, strong and confident. Then it all came crashing down.

It was 1990, age 42, at the top of my game, I had done all the right training, performed well in all the right tune-up races. I was primed for the Stockade-athon which was by then my 10th appearance and expecting to be able to at least match the previous year's personal best of 67 minutes. Oh, it did begin fine with a pace close to 7 minutes per mile through the first four and just over 35 minutes at mile 5. Everything was working, flowing smoothly, but by the time I reached mile 6 I was towing an anchor. The last third of the race became a hard slog and I finished several minutes slower than anticipated.

Just having one bad race wasn't the issue though. That happens from time to time for any number of reasons. The problem was I simply could not recover from it. The rule of thumb for recovering from a hard race effort is that it should take about 1 day per mile raced before you feel up to 100% again. For a 15K that should be 9 or 10 days, but I did not feel normal after two weeks, three weeks, a month, feeling tired and washed out from even a short easy run. That's when I, OK, my wife, made an appointment with the Cardiologist. I had been seeing this doctor for many years and we had discussed the fact that I'd eventually need a valve replacement, but it was always far off in the indefinite future. He said more than once, "You'll know when it's time before I will." It was time.

You know, the brain is an odd thing. It can be aware of an impending situation for 30 years and have been presented with all the facts well in advance but until it's time to face the action, nothing registers in a serious way. This was as if it was the first time I had to deal with the eventuality of life changing open heart surgery. The leakage and back pressure from the damaged valve had increased to a dangerous level, significant enough that it could fail in the near future. Even if I were to return to a sedentary life, it was probably good for only about 5 years. I was told to stop running until the surgery could be scheduled, which I did, mostly. That was a year of anxiety and apprehension. The surgery was scheduled for July and this was only January. I had way too much time to think about it. It was a year I'd rather forget.

I didn't run for the next 7 months but stayed in shape by power walking for 3 to 4 miles a day, then I snuck in a one mile run the day before the operation. Just one. Just in case it was my last. I had no idea whether I'd ever be able to return to it and wanted to remind myself of what? I don't know. Perhaps I was saying "Wait here, I'll be right back as soon as I can." The procedure was uneventful as far as I knew. What I remember from that day was telling the OR staff I wanted all my blood back. Those were the days when there was a danger of the blood supply being tainted with HIV. There were no reliable tests for it then, so it was advised, if you were strong enough, to put away your own blood to be re-transfused after surgery. I was able to put up 4 pints in 4 weeks and still had the strength to run that one mile. That was one benefit of a healthy lifestyle I had never figured on. So, upon being wheeled into the OR all I could think to say was give it back. They did.

The recovery went fairly well, or so it seemed. I was walking a mile every day from the first day I came home, eventually working up to 3 miles after a month. It was at 6 weeks that I tried running again. I didn't make it as far as 100 meters before gasping for breath. It didn't progress much beyond that for the next several days. Explaining this to the Cardiologist a bit later, he expressed no surprise. "It's because they collapsed one of your lungs in surgery." What? Wait, no one told me that before. I was operating on reduced power for 6 weeks and no one had warned me of it. Oh, it'll re-inflate in time. What you need to do is keep running and that'll bring it back faster. It was another full 6 weeks before I could finish a whole mile non-stop and every step of it, every day was a breathless struggle. Once I reached that point though, I knew everything was going to be all right. I ran a 3 mile race on January 1, 1992 to start a comeback 5 months post-op. By the following summer the weekly long runs were back up to 9 or 10 miles and I even ran 10K on the track.

I still had one major issue. As far as I knew, I was the only one to attempt to return to athletics after this procedure. This seems a bit ridiculous now since I can get on line and find probably hundreds of others, but there was no world wide web back then. The Internet was small and accessible to only universities and research institutions. Being a computer scientist at GE research, I had been on line for several years by then and was well acquainted with the Usenet news groups that existed. I searched in vain for others in the same situation finding only one or two contacts after a couple years and each of us felt we had been an experiment of one. If not completely unique, I was certainly a rarity, consequently I had no advice or support on how to proceed or what to expect. I trod very carefully.

The problem with being a pioneer is that there is no road map to tell you which way to go, no trail blazed through the wilderness, no bridges across the rivers. Each direction one takes could lead to grand new vistas or disaster. You never know until rounding the next bend. I tended thereafter to be very conservative in my approach to training and racing and always had the nagging feeling that what I was doing could be, shall we say, a game changer. I continued training about the same 1000 miles per year as previoulsy but seldom trained or raced hard. I entered about a dozen races the year after the surgery and every year after, give or take a few. The one I most wanted to return to was the one that threw me, the Stockade-athon where I struggled so badly. I had to show that beast I wouldn't back down. I've now run it 27 times, 10 before the valve replacement, 17 since. I think, just maybe, I've made my point. But I was still alone, still uneasy, still searching for others in the same boat, still uncertain of what or how much I could do.

Fifteen years later, fifteen thousand miles later, more than a hundred races later, having passed through the 40s and then 50s, I found what I had been looking for. I don't remember how I found it or what made me go look for it after all that time, but some time in 2007 I was surfing the web and happened upon a forum called ValveReplacement.org. These were people who understood all I went through, all I had wanted to know back at the start. They were all newbies compared to me, so I gave them the benefit of my long experience as well. And there was even some discussion of running and fitness where one of the guys told me there was another forum a bit more hard edged called CardiacAthletes.org. Those were really my kind of people. Those were the ones I had been looking for all those 15 years. It turned out that I was indeed a pioneer since none of them had heart issues that went that far back and although there are people online with older valves, none had taken up or returned to athletics as far back as I had.

In 2007 I got a new attitude. I dropped 40 lbs and started training seriously again even returning to doing intervals on a track. I ran with renewed vigor and enthusiasm. Now approaching 60 I was under no delusion that I could return to the competitve shape I was in at 40, but it was worth the effort to see how much could be regained. The biggest change though was that I stopped viewing myself as a cardiac patient. I stopped thinking that I was handicapped. I was just another runner, nothing special.

The most pleasant surprise came in May of 2008. As a newly minted 60 year old I ran yet another 5K road race. With over 300 such races in my past and never a trophy, I left before the awards were announced as usual. Later I checked the results and discovered a third place trophy was mine for the taking. I sent an email to Josh Merlis. "Who, me? You can't be serious." He wasn't kidding. That was the first of 5 or 6 trophies that year, a couple 1st place, a couple 2nd and 3rd, and more the year after that and the year after that. I haven't become so jaded as to be blase about receiving a trophy and hope I never do. It's still a thrill even when I get one merely for being the second of two or third of three. You see, by this age much of the competition has fallen by the wayside. So many runners who were my betters through 5 decades are now no longer racing or not even running at all. I'm happy to have lasted this long, to be able to toe the line one more year, artificial valve or not. The implanted device is almost incidental to me now. I seldom think about it and hardly even know it's there. My greatest award was twenty bonus years and I hope I've made the best of them.

Latest posts

Back