Quick Recovery Time - There is HOPE!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TP12022015

Tomorrow marks 14 weeks since my surgery on December 2nd to replace my bicuspid aortic valve with an On-x valve. I wanted to provide a brief update to provide hope for those who will be having surgery in the near future or are currently recovery. At age 34 and healthy going into the surgery, my recovery was much better than I would have anticipated. I was able to do things and return to normal and beyond well before I would have thought.

-I returned to work (High School Principal) at 32 days and never looked back.
-I was walking a mile plus at day 10.
-I was able to jog slowly at 6 weeks.
-I was able to golf at 11 weeks.
-At 14 weeks I can run 3-5 miles and complete workouts such as P90x and Insanity.
-I feel better today than I could ever remember. I didn't realize the restrictions and feelings I had were probably symptoms because I believe my aortic valve was always limiting me, but I didn't know any better. My surgeon told me my quality of life would remain the same, but when I work out now I feel incredibly better. Running is liberating and almost easy and it feels fantastic.

I write this all as a message of hope and encouragement for those going through one of the most life changing events there is.

Stay strong, take your time as everyone's timeline will be different and take advantage of your second chance at life! All of this being said, I am glad I went mechanical valve because while recovery was great and I have many great memories of the experience, I wouldn't want to do it again if I can avoid it.

I am 27 and set to have surgery in 2 weeks. Thanks for posting this - very encouraging!

Hi Jamieann

Jamieann;n863819 said:
I am 27 and set to have surgery in 2 weeks. Thanks for posting this - very encouraging!

Something to keep in mind is that young people are stronger and recover faster than old people (and gosh isn't that obvious when you think about it). So when reading any stories on the web about this ALWAYS keep that in mind.

If you have been building up horror stories of recovery and lengthy problems I would suggest to you that in the main they are people who are over 40 not under it.

I had my second OHS where my Aortic valve was replaced between semesters during the summer holidays of 1992 and 93. I was 28, so that's about your age.

I did not take any time off Uni and had my OHS in December. I was home for Christmas (just) and within weeks was walking up and down my hill carrying light things. I was back at University in Feb 1993 and attending classes. By about week 4 of semester or something like that I was riding my motorbike to Uni again.

So its really (to my mind) totally expectable that you'd have a recovery like that when you're less than 40 especially if you are fit and active before surgery. If you are sick / weak and obese then of course that will make things harder.

Best Wishes

TP12022015;n863539 said:
Tomorrow marks 14 weeks since my surgery on December 2nd to replace my bicuspid aortic valve with an On-x valve. I wanted to provide a brief update to provide hope for those who will be having surgery in the near future or are currently recovery. At age 34 and healthy going into the surgery, my recovery was much better than I would have anticipated. I was able to do things and return to normal and beyond well before I would have thought.

-I returned to work (High School Principal) at 32 days and never looked back.
-I was walking a mile plus at day 10.
-I was able to jog slowly at 6 weeks.
-I was able to golf at 11 weeks.
-At 14 weeks I can run 3-5 miles and complete workouts such as P90x and Insanity.
-I feel better today than I could ever remember. I didn't realize the restrictions and feelings I had were probably symptoms because I believe my aortic valve was always limiting me, but I didn't know any better. My surgeon told me my quality of life would remain the same, but when I work out now I feel incredibly better. Running is liberating and almost easy and it feels fantastic.

I write this all as a message of hope and encouragement for those going through one of the most life changing events there is.

Stay strong, take your time as everyone's timeline will be different and take advantage of your second chance at life! All of this being said, I am glad I went mechanical valve because while recovery was great and I have many great memories of the experience, I wouldn't want to do it again if I can avoid it.

That is just the post I was looking for. Thanks. I am having my aortic valve replaced on Jun 13 with an on x valve and I am a triathlete. I too how I will feel better and believe I have been limited by symptoms. Thank you so much. I hope mine goes as well as yours did. How is the Coumadin therapy?

pellicle;n863820 said:
Hi Jamieann

Something to keep in mind is that young people are stronger and recover faster than old people (and gosh isn't that obvious when you think about it). So when reading any stories on the web about this ALWAYS keep that in mind.

If you have been building up horror stories of recovery and lengthy problems I would suggest to you that in the main they are people who are over 40 not under it.

I had my second OHS where my Aortic valve was replaced between semesters during the summer holidays of 1992 and 93. I was 28, so that's about your age.

I did not take any time off Uni and had my OHS in December. I was home for Christmas (just) and within weeks was walking up and down my hill carrying light things. I was back at University in Feb 1993 and attending classes. By about week 4 of semester or something like that I was riding my motorbike to Uni again.

So its really (to my mind) totally expectable that you'd have a recovery like that when you're less than 40 especially if you are fit and active before surgery. If you are sick / weak and obese then of course that will make things harder.

Best Wishes

Hey I had mine at 45 and no horror stories here!

TP12022015;n863539 said:
Tomorrow marks 14 weeks since my surgery ...

I write this all as a message of hope and encouragement for those going through one of the most life changing events there is. ...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Now if only us old folks could heal as fast as you 34 year old ones.

Wishing you no more OHS in your future.

Latest posts

Back