Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

I was born with aortic stenosis (bicuspid valve) and had my first open heart surgery at the age of three. I had open heart surgery again 10 years ago at the age of 27 to repair an aortic aneurism, but they did not replace my valve due to my age. I go today (5/2/2007) to meet with my surgeon because they want to replace my valve. I won't bore everyone with the list of reasons why - from reading here you all know why (leaking, insufficiency, etc). My question and my concerns are due to this being my third open heart surgery. I know there are increased risks because they'll be cutting open the same place for a third time. Has anyone had open heart surgery three times? If so, can you please share a little bit about your experience? Was it worse, the same, better (yeah, right)? Thanks in advance!

I have had 3 OHS and, yes, it is more difficult for the surgeon to cut his way through the scar tissue that develops from multiple surgeries. However, if you find a surgeon that has experience in this, you will be better off.

I won't quote stats because all that matters is what happens to you. The percentage of problems does go up with each surgery but that doesn't mean you won't be fine. My last surgery was more difficult and slower to recover from than my other two. It could have been because I was 42 instead of 28 (or 30) or it just could have been because it was my third.

Just expect a longer recovery time and plan for it. That way everything is covered and there will be no surprises.

Latest posts

Back