Questions for those who've also had bypass surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Der Biermeister

Specifically, I am looking for your experiences post-operation with leg swelling on your donor leg.

Most of the online sites have minimal information on this topic - usually like this:

The saphenous vein normally does only about 10% of the work of circulating blood from the leg back to the heart. Therefore, it can be taken out without harming the patient or adversely affecting the leg. It is common for the leg from which the vein is taken to swell slightly during recovery from the surgery, but this is only temporary and is treated with elevation of the leg.

I am now 3 months post surgery and do not lack for exercising. However, I've seen no improvement whatsoever in the swelling of this leg .. foot, ankle and calf -- which increases over the course of the day. I was "promised" by the surgeon team that this would significantly subside by this time.
Supposedly, new veins grow to take the place of the saphenous vein.

So .. what has been your experience?

Should I not worry about it and give it more time?

Could my problem be exacerbated by them having chosen the same leg I had a total knee replacement on 5 years ago?

I had bypass surgery two and a half years ago. They used the saphenous vein for one of my bypasses but harvested it from my thigh by endoscopic technique. I had a two inch incision at the inside of my left knee. It healed quickly but still sometimes aches a little during my daily walks. I don't have any swelling at knee or ankle and it has been no issue for me.......thankfully.

I hope yours begins to feel more comfortable very soon. You've had such an excellent recovery, it would be a shame for your leg to be troublesome.

Jkm& - you are right about my recovery. I feel fantastic in every other aspect. I am coming up on one year (I think it was July 24, '05) where I was rushed into the hospital because I could NOT breath. Man was that ever scary. Then most of last fall, I could breath only adequately. NOW - I feel like an olympic swimmer - :D

This swollen leg doesn't stop me ... it just is irritating and a bit painful.
Thanks

Hi DB,

I had a vein taken from my left ankle/leg for my bypass .....the swelling decreased initially, but I have had recurring episodes of ankle/foot swelling.

Since it is generally just in the left ankle/foot, I don't feel that it is always CHF.

When I do have swelling in both ankles (CHF), it is always much worse in the left.

So my conclusion is that it is caused by the interruption of circulation in the left leg.

My bypass (and AVR) was 6 1/2 years ago.

Here's hoping yours will go away and never re-appear!

Well, I didn't have the vein taken from my leg. They took mine from my arm and chest, but I did have troubles with both legs swelling for quite a long time. I also am having trouble with varicose veins in both legs that I didn't have before the surgery. Cardiologist said that it had nothing to do with it...Bull....

My 'donor' leg and ankle usually seem a little more 'puffy' than the other leg and ankle, many years after my bypass surgery.

You may want to check for fluid retention and discuss hydration level management with your PCP or cardiologist. Diuretics (such as Lasix) and Potassium supplements are often recommended.

Note that Cardiologists prefer their patients to have low hydration levels while Urologists / GI docs prefer higher levels of hydration. It is DEFINITELY a Balancing Act. Daily weighings in the all-together or skivvies seems to be the best way to monitor hydration.

'AL Capshaw'

Reactions: Amy

Latest posts

Back