Questions About Incision and Sternal Wires

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveMyBraveHeart

Hello!

I am curious, for those of you that needed to get sternal wires removed...what prompted the investigation and removal of them? Mathias is having some itching and warmth on one small spot of his incision and we are wondering what it could be...just healing or something festering. It isn't swollen aside from normal scar puffiness, and its a pinkish red like the rest of his scar. He also had an episode of vomiting yesterday, and has been nauseous today. There is a stomach bug circulating both of our places of work, but I can't help but think about the two things being related...infection can cause nausea and vomiting too. He has been feeling normal otherwise, and after he vomited yesterday, he felt just fine and was able to eat a full meal without any ill-effects. He isn't pale, his BP and pulse have been normal for him, only thing I havent checked is his temp which I will do tonight. Maybe he is just reacting to starting back at work as well and pushing himself more than normal.
Anyway, sorry for the jumbled post. Just trying to decide if we should get him into his GP or Cardio or if we play the wait and see card.

Thank you so very much for being here, I hope you all are fairing well!
Jill

Last edited:
what prompted the investigation and removal of them?
in my case the wires were removed a few years after my 1992 surgery as I was doing Aikido and all the tumbles and stuff were causing them to pronate. They became quite difficult and any hits there would *REALLY HURT*

The second time was in 2012 and were removed because of an infection from surgery ... the swelling was like this:

It isn't swollen aside from normal scar puffiness, and its a pinkish red like the rest of his scar. He also had an episode of vomiting yesterday, and has been nauseous today.

because it isn't swollen then I'm pretty certain those two observations are totally unrelated

Last edited:
Hello!

I am curious, for those of you that needed to get sternal wires removed...what prompted the investigation and removal of them? Mathias is having some itching and warmth on one small spot of his incision and we are wondering what it could be...just healing or something festering. It isn't swollen aside from normal scar puffiness, and its a pinkish red like the rest of his scar. He also had an episode of vomiting yesterday, and has been nauseous today. There is a stomach bug circulating both of our places of work, but I can't help but think about the two things being related...infection can cause nausea and vomiting too. He has been feeling normal otherwise, and after he vomited yesterday, he felt just fine and was able to eat a full meal without any ill-effects. He isn't pale, his BP and pulse have been normal for him, only thing I havent checked is his temp which I will do tonight. Maybe he is just reacting to starting back at work as well and pushing himself more than normal.
Anyway, sorry for the jumbled post. Just trying to decide if we should get him into his GP or Cardio or if we play the wait and see card.

Jill
Have it checked out for infection. You can take him to GP. Good luck.

I had about half of my wires removed due to one irritating a nerve causing pain where a rib met the sternum. There were no visible symptoms, just the pain in one area. For me the pain came in soon after my surgery and, after about six months, they were removed and that cured the issue (that was over seven years ago).

because it isn't swollen then I'm pretty certain those two observations are totally unrelated
Pellicle, that is a gnarly photo!! His incision certainly doesn't look like that at this point. I am really hoping it's just a bug of some sort that will run it's course and hope that I am worrying over nothing. He is pretty tired today and says every time he coughs, he is gagging. We will be in contact with a dr. tomorrow if there is no improvement.

I developed pancreatitis after my second surgery. About 3 weeks out. Nausea and vomiting were part of the symptoms. Got car sick terrible.

I developed pancreatitis after my second surgery. About 3 weeks out. Nausea and vomiting were part of the symptoms. Got car sick terrible.
I didn't think about pancreatitis. But that would explain his symptoms. He vomited yesterday too, and his tummy isn't right this morning either, so he's gonna call his cardio and see if she has any ideas of what he should do. On the other hand, my stomach is also queasy today, so maybe it is a gastro bug. Who knows, but I didn't sleep much last night which puts my anxiety over the edge usually. So far he vomits once a day until his tum is empty, then he feels fine...has an appetite and will eat and drink and keep everything down no problem. He is sore in his abdomen and chest today from vomiting so violently yesterday and the day before and is a bit run down because of all this. I just want him to talk to a professional and see what he should do. I don't want to give him something to settle his stomach that could interfere with any of his meds. He is complaining of a headache today, which makes the whole thing even more worrisome. Yikes, guys. When does the dust all settle?

Hello!

Jill

Don't worry. Having itching is part of the healing process. I got some acne after about a month or so and it popped up every so often.

When it comes to other things, the simplest reason is sometimes correct. Vomiting is probably just a bug or post nasal drip from allergies. No need to take a temperature, he can tell you if he is feverish or just give him a kiss and you'll know :)

Don't worry. Having itching is part of the healing process. I got some acne after about a month or so and it popped up every so often.

When it comes to other things, the simplest reason is sometimes correct. Vomiting is probably just a bug or post nasal drip from allergies. No need to take a temperature, he can tell you if he is feverish or just give him a kiss and you'll know :)
Thanks, Tom. I've been using the kiss temp check technique quite a bit the last couple days :) It works for both of us! I think it's a bug or possibly his acid reflux acting up, but hopefully we are rounding the corner. I like when simple things are the culprit...however with everything that's happened over the last year, I'm quite gun shy to say it's "just a bug" or something simple when so many times previously the reason was anything but! Big thanks to you for helping qualm my anxieties. I promise I'm not always a basket case!

My wires caused radiating pain across my pectoral muscles, and where they stuck up above each wire was tender.
Had them out about 11 months post-op.

It was instant relief and well worth it, and my INR did not have to be dropped, it was 2.1 when I went into theatre.

Still have a clicking LH lower rib, mild swelling over it and mild aching but Im hoping to get it sorted soon...

I had a bit if itching/irritaition early on after my surgery but my wires are still there. I was shown them when I had an x-ray for a chest infection. Next time I had an appointment with my surgeon's team I commented (tounge in cheek) that one of the wires wasn't very well tied. The registrar I had the appointment with told me that she had closed my chest and had wired me up. She offered to split my sternum again and re-wire it if I wanted it!!! My wires are as much part of me as my valve is. I' m now nearly 9 years post op and the wires don't bother me at all. The only thing that disappoints me is that they don't set off airport security sensors and give me a chance to show my zip!

Latest posts

Back