Question Re: Beta Blockers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kevin M

What do these do, anyway?
I was told I am taking them to keep blood pressure low and they somehow help to keep the heart beat regular.

They put me on a pretty low dosage of 1/4 tab. (approx. 12mg) every 12 hours and that's what I've been taking for the past 2.5 weeks since my operation.

My BP was really nice and stable for the first while, hovering around 120/80. Then it dropped to around 98/60 or so over a few days. The homecare nurse suggested that it was unlikely that I needed to continue on the beta blockers and that I should consider discussing this with my doctor.

Well, I've had enough of doctors for a while and I don't feel like setting up yet another appointment with my GP, since I went a week after I got home.

Obviously, I'm not going to stop taking them without the doctor's permission, but it did get me curious as to what this drug is for and how it works.

Anyone in the know?
Kev

Hi Kevin,

Beta Blockers accomplish 2 things, Lower your blood pressure, and also slow your heart rate. I take Atenolol. My surgeons want me on it to help prevent another aneurysm or dissection. Since my blood pressure will be lower, the impact against my arteries is less, and also since the heart beats slower, the number of times the artery walls take a hit is also reduced.

I was originally on Lopresser. this type of Beta Blocker is one of the few that crosses the Blood / Brain barrier. This effects the central nervous system. I felt less energetic, and very forgetful while on this type of Beta Blocker. Not only that, but I had 2 personal friends that were on Lopresser, and they had the same reactions. My cardiologist informed me the information I just listed, and switched me to Atenolol. I told my friends about this, and they all changed. All of us noticed a great improvement in how we felt taking the Atenolol instead of the Lopresser.

Hope this helps, you can also checkout the following web site for more information about the drugs you may be taking.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Thanks Rob.

I had a good site for looking up drug info, but it's at work. This one you suggested is better. It answered most of my questions.
You da man.
Kev

I take Atenolol to slow heart beat (2/day) and it works. Also take Micardis 80mg 2/day for BP.

If you ever are concerned, just give the dr office a call and they ought to be able to tell you w/o you going in. They could tell you by phone. O/W you go in, they collect a fee, you are inconvenienced when it's unnecessary. But you get good advice here. You can also go into about.com (heart disease/cardiology) and ask Dr Rich. He's an electrophysiologist cardio and answers many, many general questions about heart & meds. God bless.

IN '89 I was placed on Atenolol after an aneurism was discovered as I had to wait 6 weeks for my surgery. I got porcine and then took the drug for about 2-3 months after surgery. Then I was taken off of it.
In '00 I got mechanical and now take Cozaar an ace inhibitor type drug. I need it because my mitral is also leaking moderately and so will be on the Cozaar forever or maybe until I need to have the mitral addressed , which I hope is never since I am taking this drug and it should help my valve last a long time as it is. It lowers blood pressure and puts less stress on the valve.
Gail

Hi Kevin,

Beta Blockers act by reducing the effect of adreniline on your heart / heart rate. You do NOT want to go "cold turkey" in coming off Beta Blockers (unless you are on a low dose as you are) to prevent getting an undersired and / or excessive adreneline rush.

I was on 100 mg of Toprol but my cardiologist is weening me from it gradually, i.e., 2 weeks at 50 mg, followed by 2 weeks at 25 mg. It is a time-release type and therefore only taken once per day.

Side effects can include listlessness and depression.
Does anyone know if Toprol affects memory?

'AL'

Latest posts

Back