Question About New Coaguchek XS?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeskillet

My GP Dr. just sent in a prescription for a new monitor so I can switch over to him for coumadin care. The clinic has been great, but, as y'all know, it greatly inhibits my travel plans. And, after 1.5 yrs. on coumadin I think I have the hang of it. Here's my quandry:

My VA insurance will not pay for the monitor so I am having to shell out $1,500 from my own pocket. The strips are 12 for $114 and lancets are free. After taxes this comes to a total of $1,764 (which I really don't have). I am not sure if I have to buy from this company to have my Dr. see the results or if I can just buy from E-Bay or online somewhere.

My thinking is that I could just buy from on-line somewhere and then let my primary care physician prescribe my coumadin, but, in the event of procedures, etc. - I'm not quite comfortable enough w. coumadin yet to handle such an event on my own.

I test 2x's/week just to keep an eye on things. The home meter (coagusense) that I acquired from someone on this forum has been an absolute life-saver (literally), but I don't have a back-up should it go down so I have been wanting to get another one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I am not sure how useful a comment from England is, given our very different health care systems, but maybe the prices we pay might be helpful to be aware of when trying to buy online. Here I bought my CoaguChek XS directly from Roche UK for £299 ($394). If I had to buy strips, they are available for £2.91 each ($3.82). (In reality I do not pay for strips - they are free because of our NHS system, though of course we pay taxes if working, to fund that).

I test once per week, and if I am out of range I make small changes to my dose temporarily, and test again 3 or 4 days later to see how things are going. An example:

INR range: 2.5 to 3.5
Normal dose = 8mg daily
If reading is 3.4 to 3.6 I would take 7mg for 2 days, then back to 8mg
If reading is 2.4 to 2.6 I increase by 1mg for 2 days, then back to 8mg

Normally my readings are pretty consistent, irrespective of diet. If the reading has changed significantly from one week to the next, even if still in range I change by dose up or down by 2mg accordingly. If a re-test 3 days later has not returned to a more normal reading, then now that I have been managing my dose for 4 years I make a more sustained change, eg if the reading is going high, I might take 7mg one day, 8mg the next, continuing to alternate for a whole week and then testing again to see how it is going. I know I have an anti-coagulation clinic to call on if the change is large or if my 'course corrections' don't seem to be working, and some people may not be lucky enough to be so consistent with their readings. Then I understand the desire to have the ability to have a professional manage the doses for them, so self-management is not for everyone. For those of us lucky to be pretty stable and wanting the independence, I don't think it is a difficult thing to manage.

LondonAndy;n884483 said:
I am not sure how useful a comment from England is, given our very different health care systems, but maybe the prices we pay might be helpful to be aware of when trying to buy online. Here I bought my CoaguChek XS directly from Roche UK for £299 ($394). If I had to buy strips, they are available for £2.91 each ($3.82). (In reality I do not pay for strips - they are free because of our NHS system, though of course we pay taxes if working, to fund that).

I test once per week, and if I am out of range I make small changes to my dose temporarily, and test again 3 or 4 days later to see how things are going. An example:

INR range: 2.5 to 3.5
Normal dose = 8mg daily
If reading is 3.4 to 3.6 I would take 7mg for 2 days, then back to 8mg
If reading is 2.4 to 2.6 I increase by 1mg for 2 days, then back to 8mg

Normally my readings are pretty consistent, irrespective of diet. If the reading has changed significantly from one week to the next, even if still in range I change by dose up or down by 2mg accordingly. If a re-test 3 days later has not returned to a more normal reading, then now that I have been managing my dose for 4 years I make a more sustained change, eg if the reading is going high, I might take 7mg one day, 8mg the next, continuing to alternate for a whole week and then testing again to see how it is going. I know I have an anti-coagulation clinic to call on if the change is large or if my 'course corrections' don't seem to be working, and some people may not be lucky enough to be so consistent with their readings. Then I understand the desire to have the ability to have a professional manage the doses for them, so self-management is not for everyone. For those of us lucky to be pretty stable and wanting the independence, I don't think it is a difficult thing to manage.

Got it. Good info. My GP office told me today that I can acquire a meter independently and just call my INR score in.

No way I'm going to pay that kind of $$ - gotta' love the American health-care system :confused2:.

Appreciate the input.

Latest posts

Back