Question about daily aspirin for tissue valver's

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibu82

Hi, I have a weird question and have not had a chance to ask my doctor yet.

Since I got the tissue valve, I must take the 81mg baby aspirin once daily for the rest of my life. So my question is, 81mg isn't enough to help with pain/headaches so on the days that I take motrin for pain/fevers, do I still have to take the additional baby aspirin? I though that motrin has aspirin in it already and a way higher dose then 81mg.

Just a question. Thanks!

Hi,
I am new to this site. I cannot answer your question but hopefully someone will and I will also benefit from your question. I just had a aortic valve replaced 6 weeks ago. Bicuspid was bad. Doing well except concerned about my heart rate. In the high 80s most of the time. Not taking any drugs right now but was advised just recently to start taking a baby aspirin. Why is the baby aspirin prescribed? Would this possibly help with the heart rate issue? Thanks.

Motrin has ibruprofin (sp?) in it, and although both Motrin and Aspirin are good for inflammation and pain, if I am not mistaken, I think only Aspirin is an anti-platlet drug (keeps the blood platlets from sticking to each other).

For drug related Questions, you can always ask your PHARMACIST at NO COST.

Kevin - Aspirin is an anti-inflamatory drug. It has NO effect on Heart Rate.

FYI, an elevated Heart Rate is NORMAL following Heart Surgery. Most Doctors are not too concerned about a resting heart rate that stays under 100 bpm. It will slow down as you recover. WALKING helps to restore your conditioning and breathing. For the vast majority of OHS patients, everything gets better *in time*. Unfortunately, it takes longer than we would like. Patience and Persistence win the day. :)

'AL Capshaw'

Al Capshaw,
Thanks for answering my question about aspirin. Like you said........I will just have to be patient and not worry about my hr. I just joined this sight and like it very much. Take care. Kevin

Would you be so kind as to call your doctor (probably the cardio will send you to your general practitioner for an answer on that one) and see what he/she has to say and then share it with us? I would think that the Physician's assistant could call you back and get you an answer real quickly. It really is best to get the doctor's advice on that. Over time, one must be somewhat sensitive to the possibility that aspirin can be hard on the stomach as can anti-inflammatories. A doctor's advice would be good to get at this point while you are getting used to new health habits.

As for me, I don't worry about the dosage, my old stomach flares up with too much aspirin type stuff so I kind of naturally go every other day with the 81mg while I am treating aches and pains that require ibuprofins. Then I have to hope that I won't need a few months of Nexium or Prilosec. :rolleyes2:

An important thread. Thanks for starting it! :smile2:

Marguerite

Motrin has ibruprofin (sp?) in it, and although both Motrin and Aspirin are good for inflammation and pain, if I am not mistaken, I think only Aspirin is an anti-platlet drug (keeps the blood platlets from sticking to each other).

I believe what Adrienne has said - Aspirin is an anti-platlet drug

Enteric (coated) Aspirin supposedly eliminates irritation to the stomach.

It would be wise to ask your Pharmacist / PCP about the effectiveness / absorption of enteric aspirin vs. uncoated aspirin.
Note that the benefits of food and medications are absorbed mostly through the small intestine.

'AL Capshaw'

thanks everyone for your information and comments! it was very helpful.

i will call my doctor and ask just to see their opinion as well for marguerite and myself.

No matter what else I may take, Motrin, advil, ect, I always take my 81mg aspirin daily.

Yep, asked my cardiologist's nurse and she said to continue taking the aspirin because it has the special chemical in it that is the "blood thinner" that motrin, tylenol and all other pain relievers do not have. Thanks for all your information though!

Thanks! It's good to have that info floating around here on the forum. And it's good practice to call your own professional medical people, too!! Thanks for including us. :smile2:

Marguerite

There is a contraindication for motrin and aspirin combination in regards to the platelet function. The motrin/Advil counteracts the platelet affects that the 81mg of aspirin have. If you are on aspirin therapy you should not take motrin. Tylenol and a higher dose of aspirin are fine... you can ask your doctor which he would prefer you take. Our physician said Sammy could have either one, but he could not take advil period. I am not sure about naproxen/naprosyn which is also used as an anti-inflammatory/ pain reduction medication.

So do I and be sure to include it on ANY meds list even though it is an OVER THE COUNTER drug

Ditto. I always include ALL of the drugs I take, even the OTC ones.....

Course, I'm on the 325mg of aspirin, not just 81....lol.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Never thought you'd be the one in the darkness now" ... Juice Newton ... 'Old Flame'

Back