Question about Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pat Hicks

I may not have spelled the blood thinner name right, but you guys know what I mean. Since I will get an artificial aortic value Monday, I am thinking about the medication. From what I've read on this and other sites, one has to be careful about how much Vitamin K one consumes. Now the problem. I love leafy and green vegetables. I eat them every day. If not, I'd weight 300 lbs. Can I just proceed to eat them as usual and thereby get the medication regulated according to that, or must I cut out most of the lettuce, brocoli, etc.?

Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Ye old Coumadin concerns

Ye old Coumadin concerns

Hi Pat,

Welcome to the site and I will pray for your safe return from surgery on Monday.

You shouldn't worry too much about your Coumadin as your blood is mostly affected by CHANGES in diet or DRASTIC VARIATIONS in the foods you eat. As long as you keep a fairly CONSISTENT diet which can certainly include greens you should do ok.

Be sure to read allodwick's website (linked on the vr.com homepage). It tells all about Coumadin and how it works.

You should also receive a booklet from the hospital (Dupont) that will explain all about Coumadin. It contains charts of foods that are high. medium and low Vit-K content. Ask the nurse or clinic who will handle your Protime tests to get you one. Very helpful and informative. It even has a blank chart in the back for recording your INR tests-which I recommend doing.

Best regards. Be sure to contact us when you're up to it.

I manage Coumadin (warfarin) full time for patients like you. I tell them to eat what they like and we adjust the warfarin dose around it. Do not let them talk you into anything different at the hospital. There are many vegetarians who take warfarin. The only difference is that you will have to take more warfarin to keep your level therapeutic than if you ate less vegetables.
It is not the dose of warfarin that is important, only the INR level.
Information is available on my website www.warfarinfo.com and by calling 1-800-COUMADIN or 1-888-WARFARIN.
Best of luck!!

Coumadin

Coumadin

Yep, I?m one of them. I don?t like meat and I don?t eat it.... occasionally a piece of white chicken or turkey. On the other hand... as you can imagine.... I love salads. I still only take 3mgs a day to stay between 2.5 & 3.5

When I switched from warfarin to coumadin and started taking a consistent dose (same amount everyday) a lot of my problems went away.

Can't wait to hear from you after the surgery.

Rain

Back