QAS turn-around time?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex B

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi All,

I know several of you went through QAS to get your "At-home" test equipment. I just sent all the paperwork in the mail today that includes my insurance information and my Dr. information, and my information. Now the ball in in their court.

My question to the people who have gone through this with QAS or even another company. How long does it take from when you gave them all your information, until you get your hands on your equipment? I was hoping it would only be a few weeks, but from some other posts I got the impression it actually takes quite a while.

I've only been doing the blood draws for about 2 weeks now, but I'm already sick of them. The lady stabbed my right arm about 4 times on Monday and then said, "you're not giving me any blood", like I was intentionally being difficult, so she switched to my left arm and got it on the 2nd try. Both arms are pretty beat up still from the daily hospital draws and the 3 since. I'm almost embarrassed to wear short sleeves, but it's 90 degrees in Portland this week, so it would probably look worse if I didn't! I thought I heard some guy mumble "tweaker" the other day when I was at the park with my dog, but I may be imagining things.

Hey Alex,

Hope you get it quickly. Please keep us posted. I am curious too. I just started the process even though David is first going for surgery on Friday. QAS is participating with our insurance (BCBS PPO) so hopefully it will go smoothly. I'm waiting now for the letter of medical neccessity that the cardiologist is supposed to work on tomorrow when he is back in the office.

Nadine

It depends on your insurance company and how many hoops you have to jump through first. It can be as little as 2 weeks or as long 6 months or even more. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but BCBS is very difficult to deal with in most states.

If there is a nurse case management handler with your insurance company, try to get them onboard. The one I had with BCBS was a go-getter and really moved things along for me when getting my old ProTime replaced with an INRatio.

That's okay, Ross. That's why I'm starting now. Although we will in NJ we have BCBS of Illinois because David's company is based out of Chicago. I have to say that they have not been a problem to deal with in the past and have actually been quite helpful several times, so hopefully this will be one of those times.

Nadine

I've gone through QAS a couple of times trying to get a machine (still don't have one!) I remember the first time it took what seemed like forever for them to get back to me. I kept calling and bugging them. The second time I wasn't as optimistic having already been turned down once before (had changed insurance co's) so I left them alone and remember it was much quicker! Maybe like Karlynn said it's the insurance company that makes the difference. Hopefully you won't have too long of a wait! Those blood draws aren't fun.

Waiting?

Waiting?

QAS was very quick once they got their money when I ordered my monitor. As others have indicated, dealing with an insurance company held me up. Despite repeated attempts to get the company to take care of the purchase, the company refused. I finally bought the monitor myself and then engaged in a lengthy, successful battle to get reimbursement.

The lab techs you've been dealing with sound as bad as the ones I was dealing with at my hospital lab. Four to six botched needle sticks per trip was their norm for me. I actually offered to stick myself a couple of times to end the torment. One lab tech told me not to worry if she couldn't get a good stick on my arms because she could always draw from veins on my feet. I could understand if I had small veins that weren't readily visible; mine are big and very easy to find.

-Philip

Took me forever (beginning of April to the end of July). Then they had to find someone willing to come and teach me to use it. Now that I have it I am so very happy I went thru with all the stuff. Imagine, I just call us pricks and someone called you a tweaker? Nah, just your imagination. Best of luck with this issue. I had Carefirst as my insurer.

I submitted the paperwork Aug 20. Insurance sent me an approval 8/26 and I heard today that the unit will be shipping today. So, I am pretty pleased with the process and speed with which this turned around.

wild west

wild west

as some of you know, i live in the wild west of auckland, full of non conformist people of pioneering stock; westies just can not abide red tape and regulation. so please forgive me, if i "stick my orr? in yet again. in fact, i have commented similarly before.

why do you usa folks bother with all this crap begging for home testing. why not just phone up "roche " like i did and get one couriered to you home for us$ 290 approx and start using it, QED!

why swallow dictates from big brother corporates? screw PAPERWORK, co pay, insurance co's, qas, blah blah!

as some of you know, i live in the wild west of auckland, full of non conformist people of pioneering stock; westies just can not abide red tape and regulation. so please forgive me, if i "stick my orr? in yet again. in fact, i have commented similarly before.

why do you usa folks bother with all this crap begging for home testing. why not just phone up "roche " like i did and get one couriered to you home for us$ 290 approx and start using it, QED!

why swallow dictates from big brother corporates? screw PAPERWORK, co pay, insurance co's, qas, blah blah!

Yeah, that cr%p would drive me mad!!! :mad:
I didn't have to get any "permission" letters from cardiologists - in fact the doctor at our little local hospital was the one who really encouraged me, even insisted I get a home tester.
He got Roche to send me a brochure - then I rang Roche and ordered my Coaguchek XS which arrived very next day by courier.

Westie is right - go through Roche NZ, and you will pay stuff all when you convert to US$....

I tried that in 2003, and the Roche rep said they don't deal directly with individual consumers. That's how manufacturers are in the U.S. -- they have vendors, which unfortunately jacks up the price.

But what if you ordered from Roche NZ? They should just ship it to you, no questions asked.
Or there's an Australian firm that deals in Coaguchek - I found a link and posted it for "Clicker Mark" (remember him?). They were very competitively priced. I think one of our members Terodac got hers from there.

Well Westie ~~ it's like this. Corporate America has to make a lotsa bucks, so when the machine is priced to us it's probably 400% more expensive to buy here.

I'd love to know more about how to order through Roche and skip the hassle of dealing with ANY insurance company. I'd gladly pay 5 or 6 hundred bucks if all I had to do was make a phone call & place an order!

Any more input?

But what if you ordered from Roche NZ? They should just ship it to you, no questions asked.
Or there's an Australian firm that deals in Coaguchek - I found a link and posted it for "Clicker Mark" (remember him?). They were very competitively priced. I think one of our members Terodac got hers from there.

And how does that work with international customs agencies?

An acquaintance ordered LMWH (I think Lovenox) through Canada for a Birman cat in California that had had an embolism. Wanted to prevent future ones. Even though she had Rx for it (she's a vet tech), it got held up and she never got it. I think she eventually got it another way.

If you are interested in a Direct Purchase, QAS has been known to offer a reduced price direct to the user. Just ASK and be prepared to 'negotiate'.

Re: Dry Sticks - it helps to be fully hydrated BEFORE going in for the blood draw.

If you have prominent veins in your hands, some people find that a Butterfly Needle in those hand veins is less 'uncomfortable' that needle sticks in the arms.

'AL Capshaw'

And how does that work with international customs agencies?

An acquaintance ordered LMWH (I think Lovenox) through Canada for a Birman cat in California that had had an embolism. Wanted to prevent future ones. Even though she had Rx for it (she's a vet tech), it got held up and she never got it. I think she eventually got it another way.

I will try and find that link again, for the place that Terodac got hers from. The website explains all, including overseas freight and customs etc.
Cscape, I will get Roche NZ's phone number for you and post it on here.

net pharmacy

net pharmacy

I'd love to know more about how to order through Roche and skip the hassle of dealing with ANY insurance company. I'd gladly pay 5 or 6 hundred bucks if all I had to do was make a phone call & place an order!

Any more input?
there is an established kiwi internet pharmacy which accepts both local and international orders. currently they do not list coaguchek testers but the do list accucheck lancelets etc.

i will ask them if they can ship coagucheks overseas. it should not be a problem as anyone, consumers/ chemists/ pharmacies cab buy the coaguchek direct off roache nz, no questions asked.

roache nz would be highly unlikely to ship orders overseas to consumers

i will post again when i get a reply from the net pharmacy

westie

Latest posts

Back