PVC's???? Whats the real info??? Im at a loss and need help!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worktheday

I had AVR replacement due to regurg about 8 years ago. I am 39 now. Valve was fine as of my last check echo which was about 18 months ago. I am also as a side note someone who deals with and is medicated for anxiety and panic attacks. I recently had a strange feeling in my chest, a few days ago, and called the emt's. They arrived, hooked me up did an ekg and said it showed I was having some PVC's. They didn't seem to concerned about anything after telling them that I also had anxiety issues. Asked if I wanted to be taken to the hospital, and I said yes as precautionary. They examined, more ekg's, chest x ray, and said I was fine. Never really getting a full explanation on the PVC's other than being told that millions of people walk around with them every day, it depends on my particular circusmstances, etc. The best it was explained was if you are having them 2 or 3 minutes apart, even all day long as best I understood, its really not an issue, more uncomfortable if you are someone who notices, which I would be. Its a more concerning issue if they are 5 to 10 secs apart and continue, again what I was told. Things like electrolytes, stress, anxiety, alcohol consumptton, and a range of other factors were mentioned as issues that could cause them. But again they sent me on my way with no follow up instructed.

It is now 5 days later and I feel as though I still am getting them intermintently. I don't know. I AM out of shape and lacking exercise. I want more than anything to start off slowly and begin again, exercise that is and losing 20 or 30 pounds. But the anxiety im having over this is debilitating. or is it causing them?

Can anyone who has dealt with this issue on any or all levels, good or bad, please fill me in with their knowledge and experiences. I thank you in advance!!

Jay

Hi Jay-

I get what are probably PVCs quite often and I don't pay them any attention. I train (running, cycling, paddling, weights) about 10 hours a week and I don't notice any change in frequency of these weird 'extra beats' with any exercise I do - I'd say about 5-10 times a day it happens, just 2-5 extra beats.

I just looked at the Wikipedia PVC page which indicates that stressed individuals are more prone to them, which might mean your anxiety is indeed part of the cause.

I know it's easy for me to say this and harder for you to do - but don't worry about them. Keep yourself as healthy as possible, which YES means get back to some exercise and get yourself down to a healthy weight!

I really appreciate your reply ski girl! How did you originally find out what they were if I may ask, and not to be worried about them?

No worries Jay - I found out about PVCs because I asked my cardiologist (who is the most thorough person in the world - he put me through a whole-body radioactive gallium scan to check for infection post-endocarditis, even though none of my blood tests indicated any infection!). So if he's not worried about something, I'm most DEFINITELY not going to be worried about it. :)

Then I did the typical google search which confirmed this and now funky heart beats are just part of my life!

Thank you for sharing Ski. I hope Im in the same category. The sensation that I feel, combined with the anxiety I live with throws me into even more concern. I hope they either stop with exercise and losing weight and taking better care of myself, or learn to ignore them....the earlier being more likely than the latter.

Anyone else I would appreciate input as well. Thank You!

I have had them for many years. One doc told me alot of people have them and do not notice them, but those that do notice tend to worry more about them. I can hear mine at night when going to sleep as I tend to skip every third beat and or get a bunch of quick beats.

At last check up cardiologist heard them and took a look at the latest ekg and said they were not dangerous. So, if your doc looked at the ekg and said they were ok, relax and learn to live with them.

I do exercise alot, including nightly 20 mile bike ride and still get them. Although I could lose a few pounds.

So, do your research to learn that they are not bad and you should feel better about them and not worry.

I'll echo what others have said. I too have PVCs and my cardiologist has said they are not dangerous. I'm physically active and about 20 pounds overweight. My new mechanical valve (as of one year ago) makes it a lot easier to hear my heart beat when I'm in a quiet place. I'm amazed at how irregular my heart beat sounds when I'm having PVCs. I try not to worry about them and I would advise you to do the same (realizing of course that your anxiety issues make it hard for you to do so).

Hello Jay,

Darn i know how annoying PVC's are. I am 23and was a target of anxiety as well as panic attacks. But if you go online and check or even ask ur doc PVC's are symptoms of panic and anxiety. You get a skipped beat and panic, anxiety takes over you think think and think. You entire mind is stuck to your heart as to whats happening but that is what makes it happen more. You need to avoid and move on. Get yourself occupied with something. Do not sit and think. Trust your doc. Once he has said nothing is wrong i am sure nothing will be wrong. Get up Get out and get going with your life. Its not worth sitting and cracking your head on it. :)

Jay, after my last heart surgery, I started having pac's (in the atrium vs ventricle, but same feeling, I have them both) at the rate of 25-30,000 a day, between 1/4 to 1/3 of every beat of my heart. They drove me insane, not to mention made me feel like crap. Even at that high number, they were not jumping up and down to treat them. A lot of the treatments can cause more severe problems than those pac/pvc's every will. Anyway, I felt so poorly with them, that I did end up trying several meds and having 2 ablations to try and stop them, with varying degrees of success. I finally tried a more potent cardiac drug that stopped them immediately. I stayed on that drug for about 9 months and when I stopped it, my heart was fine. Since then, I have times where they will pick up again, but then always subside. They are at a rate now that I can live with. I have an agreement with my cardio I can re-start that med at anytime they become too much again. So, if they become too much, there are things they can do about them. But if they don't make you feel badly, I would try to just ignore them and get on with your life. You can request a 24 hour monitor to wear to just verify exactly what is going on if it will help give you peace of mind.

Its a more concerning issue if they are 5 to 10 secs apart and continue ... It is now 5 days later and I feel as though I still am getting them intermintently. I don't know. I AM out of shape and lacking exercise. I want more than anything to start off slowly and begin again, exercise that is and losing 20 or 30 pounds.

Jay - Don't even worry about that. Try bigeminy, which is one every other beat! I've had runs of those and before I knew what it was I thought I was dying. My cardio diagnosed the PVCs with a 48 hour Holter monitor. Now when the PVCs get my attention, which is less and less by the way, I drop what I'm doing (usually at work) and go for a brisk walk. Kill two birds with one stone, calm the irregular beat and get some exercise. If your doc gives you the go-ahead get out there and exercise as much as you can. My surgery was in September and in February I weighed 180 (at 5'8"). Today I weighed in (after breakfast and coffee) at 161. I figure that even if I have some excess energy because my heart is suddenly more efficient, I'll ride that momentum as long as it lasts and even parley it into something more, like a serious and permanent change to my fitness level. It is a great motivator: horrible-feeling PVCs which are most easily and immediately dealt with by exercising. And, regular exercise has been shown to help with anxiety and stress. Easiest way to start, IMHO, is to go for walks at breaktime. Take 15 minutes twice a day, and walk, briskly, non-stop. Get up to a mile-and-a-half and maybe add ankle weights. From there, bicycling, jogging, running, rock climbing, weight lifting?

I appreciate all of your replies and insights. Beyond my recent trip to the ER, and examination, blood tests, EKG and Chest X Ray, I haven't seen another doctor, ie: a cardiologist. I am unfortunately unemployed at the moment and have no health insurance. The ER doctor sent me on my way as mentioned above expressing no great concern, and also not insisting that I have a follow up with a GP or a Cardio. Do you believe based on the tests and examination I had at the ER that I too shouldn't be too concerned over these possible PVC's?

They also mentioned they didn't notice any while I was at the hospital ER, and I was there almost 3 hours. I am under a great deal of stress and anxiety recently, for the reasons mentioned above amongst other things.

Any additional input would be appreciated! Thank you again in advance, and to all who have already responded!

Jay

Being concerned about your PVCs after all those tests would be like being concerned you have stomach cancer every time your tummy grumbles. :)

Don't worry about them!

Jay,

I can tell you why they did not surface up in the hospital. As i told you they are triggered by anxiety and stress. So when you where at the ER you knew you where in safe hands and your mind was no more anxious or stressed and so they did not come up. But as soon as u get home you feel u r far from the hosp and again pump up ur anxiety and worry hence triggering them. Jus try staying calm and start keeping urself busy. You will be surprised how normal life would be. All the best. Just control your mind and your heart will be in control automatically. :)

Thank you all for your input. I know it's been about a week since I last responded. Wanted to give it some time to see what would happen how I would feel. I believe I may still be having the PVC's. However if I am I am learning to deal with them slightly better, at least for now with no further follow up with any doctors. I just really wish I could get into a cardio and get an echo done to be completely at peace of mind. Its been almost two years since I've had one. I need to find a way to make a priority to make that option available to me. Thank you again for all your input. And for anyone who continues to read this please feel free to post further thank you.

Thank you all for your input. I know it's been about a week since I last responded. Wanted to give it some time to see what would happen how I would feel. I believe I may still be having the PVC's. However if I am I am learning to deal with them slightly better, at least for now with no further follow up with any doctors. I just really wish I could get into a cardio and get an echo done to be completely at peace of mind. Its been almost two years since I've had one. I need to find a way to make a priority to make that option available to me. Thank you again for all your input. And for anyone who continues to read this please feel free to post further thank you.
Hi Jay -

PVCs can be rough! The last time I wore a Holter monitor I had tens of thousands of them a day. They fairly knocked the wind out of me!

For me, a temporary regimen of beta blockers can knock them out for me. And as I get further from my OHS, the PVCs don't seem to be so much a problem.

But what brings them on? I don't know every cause but paying attention to my mineral balance and hydration seems to help.

Also, whatever makes the bubbles in sparkling drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, can set me off. You may find a pattern to something that sets you off.

I hope you're able to discuss this issue with your doctor soon.

And I hope another experience and some more heartfelt empathy is helpful to you. Best wishes :)

Back