"Pumpheadedness" study---help on the horizon??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Doctors Test Post-Bypass Memory Drugs

Story Filed: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 7:10 AM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Call it brain fog, that loss of memory and thinking ability that strikes tens of thousands of patients after open-heart surgery, and sometimes other big operations, every year.

Now doctors are studying if giving patients certain drugs just before a heart bypass could prevent this mental decline by essentially protecting the patients' brain cells from the rigors of surgery.

The clinical trials mark a turning point: For decades, doctors didn't know what to make of patient complaints that in getting their hearts fixed, something hurt their brains.

Today, few doubt it's a real problem that affects not just heart patients but those undergoing other major surgeries, too, such as hip or knee replacements. Often, patients recover. But one study found 42 percent of heart-bypass patients suffer significant drops in mental sharpness that can last not just months but years. Other research suggests 10 percent of hip-replacement patients suffer similar mental decline.

In some ways this ``postoperative cognitive dysfunction'' is a byproduct of the modern operating room. As surgery -- particularly the half-million heart bypasses performed every year -- has become increasingly successful, aftershocks such as a muddled brain draw more concern.

``It's a big quality of life issue,'' says Dr. James Cottrell, president of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.

No one knows yet what's to blame. It may be that only certain people are at high risk, such as those whose brain blood vessels are starting to clog and something about surgery speeds up the disease.

For now, suspects range from the heart-lung machine that circulates bypass patients' blood -- it can dislodge tiny bits of fat, blood clots or air bubbles that flow to the brain -- to the inflammation and post-surgery fever that are a risk after any major operation.

Surgery's stresses spark inflammation and other reactions that ``in some ways is the body's way of healing itself,'' explains Dr. Mark Newman, anesthesiology chairman at Duke University and a leading expert on post-surgery mental decline. ``But the question is if it goes beyond a certain level, do you end up with problems?''

That's where much of the prevention research centers: If surgery even temporarily blocks oxygen in part of the brain or sparks severe inflammation, the body reacts with a chemical cascade that injures or kills brain cells.

Newman and other scientists are studying if injecting patients with one of three different medications before a bypass could block that chain reaction and spare brain cells:

--Two small studies suggest lidocaine, normally used for irregular heartbeat, can prevent bypass patients' brain fog. Duke now is testing 250 bypass patients, half given lidocaine and half not, to see who has better brain function a year after surgery. Newman says lidocaine might work by blocking a pathway that lets toxic doses of calcium flood into oxygen-deprived brain cells.

--Certain levels of magnesium seem to block that toxicity, too, as well as lessen cell damage from inflammation. So, using federal money, Duke is enrolling 400 bypass patients into a study to see if magnesium might block brain fog.

--Initial testing of an experimental drug called pexelizumab, thought to block an inflammation-causing immune system protein, showed bypass patients who received the drug had slightly less mental decline. Duke and several other hospitals are participating in a 3,000-patient study of pexelizumab, sponsored by the drug makers Alexion Pharmaceuticals and Procter & Gamble.

Some companies also are testing if filters put onto heart-lung machines can help by keeping debris from flowing to the brain.

Until those studies are done, Newman advises patients worried about coming surgery to ask their anesthesiologists about one step believed to lower brain risk -- rewarming their cooled-down bodies more slowly than usual after the operation is done.

The key is intense temperature monitoring that tells when the brain, which warms faster than other organs, reaches 98.6 degrees, Newman explains. At that point, doctors should stop warming and let other organs gradually reach normal temperature on their own.

EDITOR'S NOTE -- Lauran Neergaard covers health and medical issues for The Associated Press in Washington.

Copyright © 2002 Associated Press Information Services, all rights reserved.

It's great news to hear that some physicians are looking into this issue. It really is a problem that needs to be addressed. I hope that PCPs are made aware that there truely are side effects of being on a heart lung machine as well as having other major surgeries. Thanks, Nancy, for this wonderful piece of medical information.

Take Care!
Creed

I'm glad they mentioned other surgeries as well, even ones not on the pump, because I've watched Joe go through this after his heart surgeries, his lung surgeries, his gallbladder surgery and major post surgery complications, his serum sickness, and the unexplained very high temperature.

I've also seen him gradually get over it. But it does take a long time.

The brain has healing powers as well as any other organ, I'm sure.

The way I think about it is like loading a very large picture file on a very slow computer. It develops pixel by pixel and eventually it'll all come into focus.

Nancy, thank you for posting the article. I have exhausted the internet highways looking/reading/searching for whatever I could find on "heart-lung machine" and "pumphead." What I continue to be baffled by, though, is my doctors lack of communicating this information to me. How could both of them sit and listen to me list my symptoms, yet retort, "Well, Vicki, I don't really know why you're feeling what you're feeling." Makes you wonder.....I'm happy to say that a lot of my recovery problems weren't just from the heart-lung machine....I discovered that I was carrying a lot of my pain in my shoulders and neck. That was my tension area...my insecurity from my surgery....nestled right there in my neck....for months I had dull headaches....just from the tension. I am thrilled to learn/hear that people are looking into the mystery of the heart-lung machine and what effects it has on a person once the surgery is over. I have learned that it really helps to play memory games and such. Those of you on AOL, take advantage of the free game - Word Whomp. It's wonderful for stimulating the brain.....does a good job of cleaning out the cobwebs.....

Hi Vicki-

The pain you feel in your neck and shoulders is very common after this surgery. Some comes from the positioning of the body and some from the spreaders used, and a lot comes from what I call "heart patient's poor posture", which means to me that the patient has developed a protective posture which hunches the shoulders forward and stretches out the back abnormally. It puts a lot of strain on the upper part of the body, probably also the lungs, which is why it's so hard to get them fully expanded after surgery.

Nancy, you are a wealth of information. I'm going to see if you have an answer for any question that I might have before I go searching on the net for the answer. Thank you for enlightening me about why I walk like I do and why my back hurts me and why I have such tension. What you wrote makes perfect sense!!! Again, something else my doctors never told me.....I went to the ER yesterday because I didn't want to wait until my drs. started office hours....my chest was hurting me terribly. It felt as if I were standing outside in a snowstorm and taking in deep breaths.....it simply hurt to breathe. Normal EKG - nothing showed up on anything, although not a lot was done actually. The dr. in the ER classified it as COSTOCHONDRITIS....inflammation of the cartiliage joining the ribs. Is this common? He advised Advil 3 pills, 3 times a day. I only took 2 pills twice yesterday, but what a relief!!!!! Of course, my cardio dr. never called me back, and my surgeon is in Saudia Arabia so I don't know what either of them would think about the diagnosis, but it sounded good to me and I feel better today. Again, Nancy, thank you so much for contributing your knowledge on this website. You always have a kind word to say and a word or two about what you know about a situation.....you are a good, good person. I know Joe appreciates you.

Vicki448

Vicki448

Vicki448:
I still think I would try to contact your cardiologist and try to get in to see him regarding your chest pain. Everyones situation is different, but when I first had my chest pain the ER diagnosed me with costochondritis. I believed them. Little did I know at the time, but that was the start of all my problems. Some things just don't get picked up on chest x-rays, ekg's etc....With costochondritis, they say if you touch your chest it will hurt. Mine did not, but they still diagnosed me with it. I won't go into specifics of my situation unless you want to know. Everyone is different. I'm not saying that your ER doc was wrong, I just think it is better to be safe than sorry. Sometimes physicians diagnose people with costochondritis when they don't see anything specific causing the pain. Sometimes other tests need to be done to rule out cardiac problems. Good Luck with everything!

Take Care!
Creed

"fog"

"fog"

Hi,
There are many variables and Dr's are really not sure which one is the cause. After my last surgery it took a year of complaining(re:the fog) before they ran a cat scan. They found that after each one of my 17 surgeries I have been having small strokes. I have a hell of a time with short term memory and I fall over a lot. Also reflexes are slowed. As a result of that my brain is prematurely small now. It also messed with my moods. Drugs handle the last one. Now I am disabled. Oh well I'm still alive!!!

You are right...they need to figure this out..

Hi
Have had chest painsand they told me it was costochondrtits too. But nine months later after my daughter was born they found out it was gall stones. I had surgery to have gll bladder taken out when my daughter was four days old. They have the same systoms. Since my surgery in March my memory has been so bad . I could not remember how to do the simple things. It is getting better though. I guess with time it will come back. But my family doesn't seem to understand how much it drives me crazy not being able to remember.

Sherrin Hutt
Valve repair- Dr. Cosegrove-Cleveland 4/99
Stroke- 1/02
valve replacement- Dr. Pollock-Louisville-Norton's 3/02

i'm just glad i found this post.. i really thought i was losing my mind these past months.. nothing major.. but things like locking my keys in the car and forgetting them at the office (i car pool with my boyfriend) and today, walking out to the car in the morning and forgetting my purse.. like i'm in this fog

cmb

I feel like this alot. My mom told me about this like 3 years ago. She said that she read an article that said the same things as above.

I forget my wallet and keys sometimes, but it has gotten alot better recently (i.e. over the last 3-4 years).

The key is to make yourself idiot proof. Make a list when you are currently thinking about things to do. Also, put your things you need in the same place every day/ night. I put my wallet and keys and .... doh! my glasses in a drawer in the kitchen every time I come home. I also have a slot in my truck for things I need like cell phone, keys etc...

I also have a spare key in one of those magnet things under my truck (it is very convienient (sp)).

I'm very intelligent other than these memory things. I've taken sveral I.Q. tests and have been in the upper tiers on them. I can remember numbers and addresses after one or two times of reading them but I can't seem to remember my suitcase when going on a trip (hehehehehe). I'm also do not excel at spelling as you will see.

Good info though. I will mention to my Dr. the slow warm-up thing.

If it makes any of you feel better, the day that Joe went to the ER, we had just finished lunch. I hurriedly cleaned up and we took off. The next day, I went into my pantry closet and found a whole container of egg salad nicely put away with the rest of the plastic ware. Good thing I found it, I'd be wondering what that smell was or it could even have exploded, what a thought, LOL.

Maybe pumpheadedness is contagious, now Joe, you just stop that.:D :D

LOL

LOL

LOL!!!!! that is a good one. I put things in the frig that shouldn't be in there. My wife complains occationally to me about it. Any way thaks for the chuckel...I needed that.

Back