Pulmonary Hypertension after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy McCain

My AVR was done Feb 2008. My last echo was done last week, and is a good report. However, this is the first time (under summary on report) it shows mild pulmonary hypertension. I also have another thread on this forum (echocardiogram report) that explains.

My question is this: Has anyone else here had a diagnosis of mild pulmonary hypertension after their AVR? I have never had this notation on any echo, BEFORE my surgery. It was my understanding that my AVR was supposed to cure me. My prognosis was excellent. Still having pericarditis flar-ups, and now this! Please excuse my negative post, but I'm feeling a bit down.

I have an appt to see my cardio in Nov. perhaps my Dr can shed some light!

Kathy, Am I correct in assuming that you have not seen or spoken to your cardio yet since you had that echo? If that's the case, you don't know for sure yet that he agrees with the tech's report, do you? We all know that the numbers echos give are not 100% and depending on who the tech is and what their experience level is, those numbers could be even further off. So, knowing all that, I would take that "mild PH" that has never shown up before, with a grain of salt, until I got a chance to discuss it with my cardio. And then, at that point, if he feels that you do have it, you can allow yourself to feel down (for just a minute, or two), then figure out what that will mean for you going forward. If November is too far off to wait to have that discussion (it probably would be for me), I would put in a phone call to have a quick talk with him about it beforehand so it would relieve what is obviously bothering you.

Kim

I'd call, I had my echo last Thursday and had my cardio call me Monday just to quickly let me know if there was anything important going on. Also on my discharge papers from when I went in with the dressler's if that is what it even was it said pneumonia. I called and the codes I guess were similar or something, I'm not sure what the excuse was. I get my records always and sometimes it's best not to read them. I had to call the Cleveland clinic when I got home because some questionable things, I've had 9 echos in the past year and two TEEs, echos aren't always accurate, if they were my left atrium is has shrunk or gotten larger many many times over the span of ten months. I wouldn't worry until you talk to the cardiologist.

Kathy, Am I correct in assuming that you have not seen or spoken to your cardio yet since you had that echo? If that's the case, you don't know for sure yet that he agrees with the tech's report, do you? We all know that the numbers echos give are not 100% and depending on who the tech is and what their experience level is, those numbers could be even further off. So, knowing all that, I would take that "mild PH" that has never shown up before, with a grain of salt, until I got a chance to discuss it with my cardio. And then, at that point, if he feels that you do have it, you can allow yourself to feel down (for just a minute, or two), then figure out what that will mean for you going forward. If November is too far off to wait to have that discussion (it probably would be for me), I would put in a phone call to have a quick talk with him about it beforehand so it would relieve what is obviously bothering you.

Kim

I think Kim gave good advice. You should call your doctor and ask him. It would be a shame to worry yourself until November, especially if there isn't a problem

Back