Protimenow Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's time for another update.

Since leaving the hospital, I've been feeling weak, dizzy, unlike my old self. I mentioned this to my cardiologist, who didn't seem to have an answer.

I saw my elecrophysiologist who thought it may be due to too high a dose of Verapamil. He cut the dose to a more tolerable dose, twice a day. It didn't help much.

Yesterday, after some small shopping trips (actually, one trip to two stores), I felt awful. I now have a pulse oximeter (for quick checks of pulse, not oxygen levels), and for quite a while - ten or fifteen minutes - it was around 180. I suspect tht it was that high while I was driving home. After many deep breaths, the rate went to 130, and after a while longer, it dropped to around 100 - and stayed there.

I was at least able to get up and get around.

I decided to go to the pharmacy to pick up some medications, but by the time that I got to the car outside, the SVTs picked up and I again felt awful. I called the electrophysiologist. They suggested that I come in for an EKG. They said that I can walk down the hall a few times to get my heartrate up - but this wasn't necessary -- a 'resting' rate of arund 130, with SVTs that couldn't be resolved was enough for them. They would have charged me $300 to do an electric 'fix' of my rhythm, or I could go to the E.R. where thay could probably fix it.

I chose to drive to the hospital. They were uncomfortable with that choice and asked me to call once I got there.

I got to the ER, with the electrophysiologist's EKG in hand. After an hour or so, on my doctor's advice, I was given 12 ml of adenosine. There was a crash cart next to me, and big electrodes were stuck onto my chest and back. The adenosine did the trick - SVTs stopped, I had a normal rhythm.

The electrophysiologist checked on me before I was discharged. He told me that I should probably get the ablations that should fix my heart rhythms. I'll let him review a copy of my 24 hour holter from last week, and work on getting the ablation scheduled in the next week or two.. First, I have to update all my documents, add my wife to my bank accounts that aren't joint, get power of attorney for her, probably a living trust, and THEN feel comfortable getting the ablation.

This has been SO MUCH FUN.
My fingers and toes are crossed for you. Good luck with the ablation.

Thanks to all. Since they rebooted my heart, things seem to be going better.

One of our routines (my wife and I) is to push a corner of the bed back. Before my reboot, I could push it about five inches before it seemed like it stopped. I was surprised, but accepted it.

After the reboot, it actually DID go back to the headboard - about 6 or 8 inches - and I REALLY felt it move.

My wife told me, after I pushed the matress back a few times that she would wait for me to 'push' it back, then, when I wasn't around, she would push it the rest of the way.

I'll see how this reboot (I won't call it a jumpstart because there was no electricity involved).

This may have bought me some time before having to get the ablation - time to do thngs like forming a living trust, getting a power of attorney written and filed, and important stuff like that.

March of 2019 I had SVT and was hospitalized for five days. My heart restored its rhythm on its own.
But not this year. Since early March I had not been feeling well with hearts beats up and down between 130-70. I was put on amiodarone and Toprol which didn’t help. ECG revealed A-Fib this year and my Electrophysiologist recommended Cardioversion which I had last Friday at UCLA with Dr. Boyl...he is excellent. My HMO approved it!
Hope your issues will be resolved like mine in no time. These A-Fibs are very disturbing!
Prayers.

glad you're back and posting again ... work has been busy and I try not to focus on every post and who is posting on this forum ... glad you updated.

Reactions: Eva
It's been an interesting few days. I was feeling funny on Sunday. The pulse oximeter showed my heart rate dropping below 40. I thought that I had confirmed this by taking my pulse. I watched it go from 90 (after a little exercise), to 70, then take a few drops down.

I was feeling like something was wrong, and took Uber to the Emergency Room. The monitoring in the ER showed that my SVT was back, but the rate was around 60. My electrophysiologist tole them to admit me. He saw me that night and told me that the medication wasn't apparently working quite as well as it should. Between the two of us, we agreed that I would get the ablation on Tuesday.

On Monday, I was given the option of going home and coming into Outpatient Surgery on Tuesday morning. I decided to stay. He said he could wait a few weeks to do the ablation. I wanted to get it over with,.

It was done on Tuesday, Supposedly, by Friday, I'll feel like a new man. I'm not sure if he meant Randy Newman, or some other Newman, but I've got some of his early recordings and I'm beginning to feel like listening to a few.

Late to the party. Hope everything worked and you’re back to your old self soon! In the mean time, rest well and don’t try to rush things.

Or maybe Seinfeld’s “Newman”?

That Newman would be a much better match -- especially because I haven't had my hair cut for a LONG time.

I was originally thinking of Paul Newman, but I don't really want to feel like a dead man.

I'm fighting dizziness but may take you (and my wife's) advce -- don't try to rush things.

That's a big order - but I've got things that aren't very strenuous, and may just take it a bit easy before I start climbing ladders.

It's been an interesting few days. I was feeling funny on Sunday. The pulse oximeter showed my heart rate dropping below 40. I thought that I had confirmed this by taking my pulse. I watched it go from 90 (after a little exercise), to 70, then take a few drops down.

I was feeling like something was wrong, and took Uber to the Emergency Room. The monitoring in the ER showed that my SVT was back, but the rate was around 60. My electrophysiologist tole them to admit me. He saw me that night and told me that the medication wasn't apparently working quite as well as it should. Between the two of us, we agreed that I would get the ablation on Tuesday.

On Monday, I was given the option of going home and coming into Outpatient Surgery on Tuesday morning. I decided to stay. He said he could wait a few weeks to do the ablation. I wanted to get it over with,.

It was done on Tuesday, Supposedly, by Friday, I'll feel like a new man. I'm not sure if he meant Randy Newman, or some other Newman, but I've got some of his early recordings and I'm beginning to feel like listening to a few.
Good luck . I’ll keep reading your updates.

Eva -- I haven't gotten much direction from the EP. He didn't say anything about recovery or slowing down, other than not lifting much on Thursday. My wife is pushing me to take it a bit more slowly. It's hard to change my speed - but I'll try. One thing that helps with my dizziness seems to be making sure that my posture is better (less leaning down from the hips) - standing straighter redirects the weight of the upper body. This may be one of the benefits.

But, yes, I'm home and sheltering in place - then running to a store or two for some necessities.

If there is anyone out there who has had an ablation, I'd like to read your experience.

After my cardioversion last Friday, I was also asked not lift up things over 15 lbs and to take it easy for a week!
Are you still taking anti rhythmic medication! I. Still on 400 mg amiodarone and 100 mg Toprol until I see him again on 6/15.
I’m happy for you.

Last friday, I was having uncontrollable SV tachycardia. Rather than cardioversion, I got two doses of adenosine - my rhythm returned to normal. (The doctor would have done cardioversion in his office, but I couldn't afford it).

I'm on Verapamil - 40 mg in the day, 80 mg at night. Amiodarone didn;t work for me - it only turned the contents of my intestines into stone. You may want to talk to your doctor about switching - Amiodarone has Iodine (which explains the iod in the name), and may be more harmful than other medications.

I'll TRY to take it easy for a week or so -- but it's not going to be easy to hold back.

My husband had an extensive seven hour long ablation procedure in July of 2019. He has no valve issues, but mild to moderate coronary artery disease. He has an appointment with the EP next week and hopes to finally come off the Eliquist that he’s taken for almost three years. He has not been in afib since July’s procedure, but it was a very extensive procedure and required hospitalization afterwards.

Somehow, I think my reply to Duffey may have not been saved.

My ablation took about an hour - high tech stuff all the way. I had 50 (really) leads attached to my body, the monitor used by the doctor appeared to be 60 inches wide, it showed multiple windows. Navigation of the instruments was done by visualizing the real time X-Ray images. Of course, I was anesthetized during much of the procedure - the first thing I felt when coming off the anesthesia (which felt like an immediate return, once the hard stuff was over) was iintense pressure on my groin - attempting to stop the blood and force a clot where the instruments went into my body.
I was able to talk with the nurses almost immediately, once anesthesia was removed.

The doctor zapped two of the areas that were causing problems. There's a third that he couldn't touch - sometimes ablating areas close to the remaing one will cause the one he couldn't get, to stop functioning on its own - most often not.

Something is still causing diizziness. I'm fine to drive - no troubles there - but it's standing and walking that give me the most trouble. I'm practicing to regain my balance. I wonder if any of this has to do with no longer having edema in my ankles.

I'll be seeing an ENT to rule out sinus or inner ear issues. On Monday, I'll be going to the electrophysiologist to get a holter monitor, to see if there's anything strange going on.

(FWIW, I had a holter two weeks ago - pre-ablation -- those results are useless because I've had the ablation)

I hope you're all well, wish Happy Mother's day to all the moms out there, and hope you can shelter in place as much as possible.

Somehow, I think my reply to Duffey may have not been saved.

My ablation took about an hour - high tech stuff all the way. I had 50 (really) leads attached to my body, the monitor used by the doctor appeared to be 60 inches wide, it showed multiple windows. Navigation of the instruments was done by visualizing the real time X-Ray images. Of course, I was anesthetized during much of the procedure - the first thing I felt when coming off the anesthesia (which felt like an immediate return, once the hard stuff was over) was iintense pressure on my groin - attempting to stop the blood and force a clot where the instruments went into my body.
I was able to talk with the nurses almost immediately, once anesthesia was removed.

The doctor zapped two of the areas that were causing problems. There's a third that he couldn't touch - sometimes ablating areas close to the remaing one will cause the one he couldn't get, to stop functioning on its own - most often not.

Something is still causing diizziness. I'm fine to drive - no troubles there - but it's standing and walking that give me the most trouble. I'm practicing to regain my balance. I wonder if any of this has to do with no longer having edema in my ankles.

I'll be seeing an ENT to rule out sinus or inner ear issues. On Monday, I'll be going to the electrophysiologist to get a holter monitor, to see if there's anything strange going on.

(FWIW, I had a holter two weeks ago - pre-ablation -- those results are useless because I've had the ablation)

I hope you're all well, wish Happy Mother's day to all the moms out there, and hope you can shelter in place as much as possible.
Glad to hear you are well. Hoping all your results with the ablation are good and you won’t have to feel bad anymore. Best of everything.

Thanks, Sheenas7.

The journey isn't quite over yet -- I'm still fighting dizziness - maybe from the medications, possibly an inner ear problem, possibly a bit of each. It's probably not possible to see an ENT because of COVID-19 so we're having a 'video call' - a lot of good THAT will do me.

I'm currently wearing a seven lead holter monitor to check out my rhythm. (According to my Fitbit, my heartrate may have dropped to 37, briefly, yesterday, which means that I may need a pacemaker. Perhaps this was a Fitbit error.

I'll probably know in a few days.

Are we having fun yet?

Latest posts

Back