Prostate benefit for vitamin K2?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonAndy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
After reading a number of threads on here about the heart benefits of taking vitamin K2 I finally ordered some and started taking a daily capsule about 3 weeks ago. I am wondering if this is a coincidence, or due to other factors, but one thing I have noticed is that my bladder control seems to have improved. Whereas I would invariably wake up at around 3am each night and need to go to the loo, I am now waking up around 5am or later. Any knowledgeable nutrition people got any thoughts?

I used to have prostate trouble. My urologist did not recommend anything but finasteride. It also helps with hair loss :) really!

Interesting, thanks Tom! Though TBH, hair loss is not an issue for me - indeed I seem to have more hair on more parts of the body than ever! But I will discuss with my doc, as on our NHS website it does indeed show this as "used to treat men with an enlarged prostate".

I have never given DH any of my vitamin K2 - maybe I should have ? He was on alpha-blockers (Tamsulosin) for his enlarged prostate for about eight years but with worsening symptoms had TURP procedure four weeks ago. He can now pee like when he was younger but is still in recovery stages and going more at night due to the fact that he has to drink a lot of water to keep 'washing' out until his prostate heals.

I have never given DH any of my vitamin K2 - maybe I should have ? He was on alpha-blockers (Tamsulosin) for his enlarged prostate for about eight years but with worsening symptoms had TURP procedure four weeks ago. He can now pee like when he was younger but is still in recovery stages and going more at night due to the fact that he has to drink a lot of water to keep 'washing' out until his prostate heals.

Tell him I had a TURP and it has worked. Only get up once a night and many times not at all.

Tom, My doctor prescribed finasteride also. My wife read the package insert when I got home. It said that 3% of the patients got fatal prostate cancer after taking it. That is 97% that do not. You might want to read your package insert and see if it says the same thing.

For the time being, I am sticking with Tamulosin.

I upped my dosage of K2 to 100 ug from 50 ug. Now that others have mentioned it, my nightime visits have dropped slightly but not a lot. I have only been on 100 ug for about 3 weeks though, so maybe it will take longer?
Walk in His Peace, and six feet away : - )
ScribeWithALancet

Scribe - aren't you a bit young to have prostate problems?

My doctor I saw didn't like finasteride (5 mg pills are called Proscar, 1 mg pills are marketed for much more money as Propecia). BTW - hair growth was a side effect of Proscar - the drug makers decided to make a smaller dose pill, slap a new name on it, and make a hell of a lot of money on it. My doctor liked something he helped to name -- Flomax.

I don't take either, for now. What may help slightly is not drinking a lot of liquid for a few hours before going to bed. The less you take in, the less you have to release.

I sometimes go most of the night without getting up -- but sometimes not much helps.

Be careful about K2 - sometimes they sneak K1 in with it -- the purity may depend on which company markets it.

Tom, My doctor prescribed finasteride also. My wife read the package insert when I got home. It said that 3% of the patients got fatal prostate cancer after taking it. That is 97% that do not. You might want to read your package insert and see if it says the same thing...

That's not my take on the drug. In these BPH studies, PROSCAR (Merk's finasteride) did not appear to alter the rate of prostate cancer detection, and the overall incidence of prostate cancer was not significantly different in patients treated with PROSCAR or placebo....

As with so many medical warnings, be aware that these are worded with extreme caution. They do not differentiate between correlation and causation. Also, with prostate cancer, you should keep in mind that any man’s probability of having detectable prostate cancer is about equal to his age. That is, by age 60, about 60% of men have clinically detectable prostate cancer. By age 70, the percentage is about 70%, and so on. Just be aware that clinically detectable and clinically significant are not the same. Upon autopsy, many men are found to have prostate cancer, but small amounts of low-grade disease that would not have likely ever required any treatment.

My one caution about taking drugs like tamsulosin or finasteride is that if you are also monitoring PSA for prostate cancer detection or progression, starting one of these drugs can mask increases in PSA and make it difficult to track progression. A savvy urologist can manage, as there are models that help them adjust for the meds, but they need to be aware and take them into consideration.

How do I know these things? Experience. Had radiation treatment for prostate cancer about 4 years ago. . .

As with so many medical warnings, be aware that these are worded with extreme caution. They do not differentiate between correlation and causation. Also, with prostate cancer, you should keep in mind that any man’s probability of having detectable prostate cancer is about equal to his age. That is, by age 60, about 60% of men have clinically detectable prostate cancer. By age 70, the percentage is about 70%, and so on. Just be aware that clinically detectable and clinically significant are not the same. Upon autopsy, many men are found to have prostate cancer, but small amounts of low-grade disease that would not have likely ever required any treatment.

My one caution about taking drugs like tamsulosin or finasteride is that if you are also monitoring PSA for prostate cancer detection or progression, starting one of these drugs can mask increases in PSA and make it difficult to track progression. A savvy urologist can manage, as there are models that help them adjust for the meds, but they need to be aware and take them into consideration.

How do I know these things? Experience. Had radiation treatment for prostate cancer about 4 years ago. . .

He's back. Nice to hear from you epstns.

My dad used to say prostate cancer is normal based upon your same statistics.

My doctor makes me do the PSA every 6 months for that reason and others ;) He looks for change in value more than absolute value. One thing I learned, don't have sex before your PSA, it elevates it, as does prostatitis.

Latest posts

Back