Preventing delirium in older hospital patients

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponygirlmom

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I don't know which forum is most appropriate for this post, so I picked this one.

Yesterday I heard a segment of NPR's Morning Edition about preventing delirium in older hospital patients. This is important not just in the short term but for the long-term health of the patient, because people who develop delirium in the hospital are more likely to develop Alzheimer's later on.

I told my Dad about this segment. He is both an anesthesiologist and a man in his seventies. He told me that when treating older patients preventing confusion is his greatest priority (after keeping them alive, of course!)

I'll post some of the things he told me, and that I heard on the show, for those of you who are either caring for a geriatric relative or who are older yourselves. I don't have the link to the show, but if you go to http://www.npr.org and click on "Morning Edition" you should be able to find the program.

Pharmacologically, my Dad told me two things: First, in the OR he likes to use short-acting drugs, so that geriatric patients do not wake up under the influence of drugs that make them sleepy, confused or disoriented. Even when they are "wide awake" they may be confused and need several reminders that they have just had surgery. This is also something he teaches his residents to keep in mind for test, like the kind we have prior to heart surgery. For example, while I received versed for several tests, he would use a different agent on an older patient.

Second, he strongly disagrees with doctors who automatically dose patients who awake confused in their hospital rooms with anti-anxiety medications. He says that this makes the situation much worse, not better.

The program talked about policies about letting geriatric patients sleep through the night, and not waking them for such things that are not essential. My Dad says that at Ford there are "quiet wards" with these kinds of policies. There a patient would not be awakened just to change sheets, for example. The entire hospital tries not to awaken patients for blood draws between midnight and 6am. (Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about 6am blood draws because the doctors need that info each morning.)

The program also talked about the great importance of glasses and hearing aids to geriatric patients. Someone like me can get along without my glasses for a while, even if I can hardly see anything. The worst that would happen to me is that I would be bored. (Can't read anything!) However, with older patients, great care should be taken to prevent confusion, which means that should clearly see and hear as much as possible.

I asked my Dad if it would be helpful to be sure that there is always a light on in the hospital room, so that upon awakening the patient can see that he or she is not at home. He said he didn't know; as we all know, one of the bad things about hospitals is that sometimes you want the room to be dark so you can sleep, and it isn't!

I hope this has been helpful to others!

My grandmother, who died this year at 100, had surgery about 15 years ago. I wish your dad had been her anesthesiologist. I don't know what they gave her, but she was raging at anyone in sight, and it took her about 4 days to really figure out where she was. I think they called it post-anesthesia dementia. My mom would call me in tears because my grandmother (her mother) would scream at her and try to hit her. I think they ended up restraining her, which I know is not allowed in most situations, but in her case, they were really afraid that she would hurt herself.

a very helpful post to those who are way beyond youthful. there isn't always enough consideration for ages of patients (children, too, along with old ones like me). since it was on npr it might grab more physicians and nurses. thanks for posting this one.

Thank you for the interesting thread.

My father had triple by-pass surgery in 1998 at age 78. He was very confused for a week or so, delirious for the first 2 days. He later did develop what was presumed to be Alzheimer's, though he was physically very strong until his death at 88. The demise of his brilliant brain was horrendous for us (and, no doubt, for him while he realized it). Why is it "likely" that such people get Alzheimers? Is that part of the NPR show? (sorry, of course, I'll watch it eventually....just responding curiously here). If they are learning this are they warning people? The heck with the anti-anxiety drugs.... what about Aricept or whatever else they use for memory issues? Why wouldn't that be prescribed right away??

I would love to know if your father can point me in the direction of any specific research groups who are studying this. The whole experience has had an incredible impact on me. I would be interested to know how this all progressed, if they are beginning to understand. It would ease my mind greatly.

Thank you.

Marguerite

Ponygirlmom:

Thanks for posting this.

My 82YO mother will be having knee-joint replacement on Sept. 8. When she had her other knee done (May 2007), she was given too much sedation -- don't think it was during surgery but afterwards, and she became agitated. Ripped IV out, got out of bed and was walking down the hall. Hospital called my dad & one of my sisters. Sister called me. I left work and raced the 30 miles from downtown Fort Worth to near downtown Dallas. She was gradually beginning to calm down when I arrived.

So, now we don't want this to occur again. My mom has asked my two sisters & me to spend one night in the hospital to ensure that she doesn't go loco with the meds. I'm sure this happened because she was much more sensitive to the drugs' effects.

I'm not a senior citizen yet :) but I will share an experience that I have only just had (today in fact).
Last night I went into Atrial Flutter, so I went to the hospital where it was confirmed, and I got told to come back this morning for electrical cardioversion. I got a short acting anaesthetic, and the procedure was done.

But, coming out of the anaesthetic was awful - I was hallucinating, felt like I was disassociated from my body, almost like I was flying around the room looking at everything. Then I couldn't focus on anything properly - it looked like the nurse had three heads and there were all these kaleidoscope patterns and colours on the ceiling:eek::eek:.

When I eventually got back to normal, after about 30 mins, the doctor came in and I asked him what drugs they used. He said a combination of Propofol and Ketamine - and Ketamine would be the culprit. He said that in low doses and combined with another drug, most people tolerate it, but obviously I didn't. He said that they'll make a note on my records not to use it again....

My brother is a vet and lives in the UK, he said they have a problem with people trying to break into veterinary clinics and steal Ketamine - they call it "Special K" in the drug scene.
I dunno how anyone could enjoy the sensation it produces, IMO it was horrible!!!!! How could anyone do it for fun???

Anyway, just thought I'd add my experience.

Oh, Bridgette, I'm so sorry that you had to have such a frightening time of things. I hope the Atrial Flutter is now gone!!

I guess maybe I got the Special K for my AVR! The very first thing that I remember from my surgery was that kaleidoscopic, jaggedy visual impairment..... I remember being excruciatingly thirsty (as everyone is) and looking to the right at my cup of ice chips and trying to reach over to get it for myself and there was no way that I could possibly make sense out of it to make it happen for myself. So I remember thinking, oh my, I am really stoned!!! and I think I started laughing and that got the nurses attention and I got my ice. But psychologically I expected to be way out of things from the surgery, so it did not frighten me. I think if I had just gone in for a procedure and expected something like a little anesthesia (like the dentist or for colonoscopies or whatever) and I had that experience, I would have been very shaken also.

I don't know why anyone would want to do that for fun. To escape some personal horror or memory or simmering pain? I don't know. Kids will do things for kicks, for the "rush". Boredom, perhaps. Not my kind of thing, either, of course!!

Hope you are better now.

Marguerite

Well, I'm back in sinus rhythm now and hope to stay that way!!! Sounds like your experience was similar to mine Marguerite - I felt really out of it too, I even thought I was singing songs from my Maori language class. I asked the nurse if I actually had been singing out loud and she laughed and said no. Maybe she was just being kind, LOL.

It's a really interesting thread, this one.

not nice

not nice

hi bridgette

sorry to read about your problem today; i thought you were "all in the clear" post op. ( atrial fib, i guess this means your heart was beating like crazy?)

is this a consequence of your mitral valve replacement or just an unrelated matter? your surgery was before mine and i would hate to think this was lurking around to catch me later on!

westie

my brother was given aricept. it made him very dizzy and near to passing out; we heard of other old people passing out. not a good thing and it never helped him anyway. I think some time back they were working on another drug like aricept but don't know what it is nor if it ever came to market.

Bridgette:

So sorry you were given ketamine.
It's a fairly long-acting drug. And, yes, I've heard of veterinary clinics being broken into -- just for the ketamine (a disassociative injectible anesthetic).
Ketamine is what causes animals to appear to be "drunk" following a neuter or spay procedure. I have seen the "drunkenness" linger for up to 10 hours post-op. I now prefer that my cats be given isoflurane, an inhalant that is more $ than ketamine. Not sure if iso is one of the gases used on people. It does cause some cardiovascular depression in animals, but less than other inhalants, according to University of Minnesota website I found.

Your situation is a good point to remember. If I ever have surgery again, I'm going to demand to know pre-op what anesthetics and sedatives -- injectible as well as inhalants -- will be used and what kind of effects I would experience and for how long.

I'll e-mail my retired R.N. sister to get this information pre-op about my mom's knee surgery.

hi bridgette

sorry to read about your problem today; i thought you were "all in the clear" post op. ( atrial fib, i guess this means your heart was beating like crazy?)

is this a consequence of your mitral valve replacement or just an unrelated matter? your surgery was before mine and i would hate to think this was lurking around to catch me later on!

westie

Westie, I had paroxysmal A Fib for many years before my valve replacement so at the time of surgery they did the Maze to try and prevent further episodes. It worked up until now, but now.....?

If you never had AF before your op, with any luck you won't suddenly develop it now.

Cheers
Bridgette

I received a New YOrk Times article this morning in SUDDENLY SENIOR newsletter about exercise, diet and life style to keep away Alzheimer's. They found in their record keeping that a mediterranean diet (lifetime), exercise and good living seemed to prevent it. Now they will be doing an official study of this 'evidence' to see what it proves. won't help tho unless the patient has lived that way all his/her life~...

Wanted to mention that there are many things a family can do to try to help a person who has ICU psychosis, which sounds very much like what OP has written. It is a limited problem which happens when the patient is confined in the hospital, especially the ICU where time means nothing, and daytime and nightime are blurred. I did see this phenomenon several times when Joe was hospitalized.

What would help to bring him back to a more normal state was for me to bring in all the monthly bills and the checkbook, and we would do them together, Joe telling me what to do, and me doing it. He loved doing the bills and budgeting and all kinds of bookwork. It was part of his job and he kept meticulous records at home.

Another thing that he liked was for me to read or discuss the news with him, especially sports. And also we did very simple crossword puzzles together, me giving the hints and Joe guessing the words, anagrams too. I would also bring in a calendar so he could see what day it was, and I would mark off the days.

So doing simple normal things with the person, whatever they enjoy, reading to them, playing music that they like, bringing in photo albums, etc.

It does help, and so does getting out of that environment asap.

I received a New YOrk Times article this morning in SUDDENLY SENIOR newsletter about exercise, diet and life style to keep away Alzheimer's. They found in their record keeping that a mediterranean diet (lifetime), exercise and good living seemed to prevent it. Now they will be doing an official study of this 'evidence' to see what it proves. won't help tho unless the patient has lived that way all his/her life~...

Another one of those studies... Hope I started soon enough. I started daily jogging back in 1976. I'm 74, so far, so good.... I think? ;)

Another one of those studies... Hope I started soon enough. I started daily jogging back in 1976. I'm 74, so far, so good.... I think? ;)

well, you sound good to me. I am 76. maybe we shoulda been born in Italy, France or Greece to have lived the life of the people they are talking about! 74 and 76 ain't bad, tho - and we can still think and remember so we must be ok. I'll say you are if you say I am.,,,,

Back