Pretty Mallard ducks on the pond this morning

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ducklings, never thought of that. I'll have to look at the pond every day early on. I don't know if it is one time thing and they were just resting, or if they really like it there. I did see ducks there once before a long time ago. I do have a little dog who might not like an invasion of her territory, she has the run of the large fenced in yard, so perhaps they would be discouraged.

They were so cute together, stayed very close to each other the whole time, a really loving couple, and very attractive looking.

Oh how lovely Nancy!

I hear that ducks will mate for life & if one mate dies, the other mate will not seek another. Now if that isn't devotion & true love, I don't know what is! :)

Well, this morning, the mom Mallard is sitting on the tiny island in the middle of the pond surrounded by tall plants and the drake is standing by her on the pond edge.

So, Chris, you might be right, ducklings may be in the picture in a while.

Sounds like duck heaven.

How big is your pond? mine's 11x17, about 1200 gallons, so the visiting mallards don't stay long enough to nest, just long enough to get away from the crowds at the big lakes, and trash my lilies upon landing. Thank goodness both dogs have good "leave it" response.

It's probably about 30' X 20' and has a tiny plant-able island in the middle and a couple of large rocks for perching on. Not big enough for more than a pair of ducks. In the spring, the green frogs mate there and the pond is filled right now with tadpoles which I guess the ducks are feasting on. There is also a lot of tall and dense vegetation, and lower ground covers of all kinds, on the island and surrounding the pond. And the yard is very large and totally fenced in, so it is very protected.

My little dog was out there today, and never went near the pond, and the ducks weren't phased by her presence, or mine.

This is the time of year for ducklings! When I lived in Wisconsin, we were close to a small pond and we had ducks in our yard frequently. In the fall we'd sometimes see a few Canadian geese.

Nancy, you may just need to set up a "duck-cam" so that we can all share this experience. ;)

I smiled when I read this Bina because a few weeks ago my brother & his wife flew to Las Vegas for a few days & asked me if I could go over & check on their dog. Anyway, when they came back he called to thank me for taking Sonia for a walk! To which I replied, "okay, but how the heck did you know I took her for a walk?" He laughed & said that he had seen me on the game camera he had set up sometime back! LOL! :)

Back