Pressure and pulse monitors - incorrect pulse reports with arrhythmia?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm not sure where to put this question, but Heart Talk seems like a good home for it.

I have some issues with arrhythmias. Although some have been addressed and resolved, I still have other issues - my heartbeat isn't regular there are pauses between beats, and other stuff is happening.

I've used a pulseoximeter to take my pulse, and it occasionally shows a pulse in the high 30s. I've just become the owner of two electronic blood pressure machines - and both show a pulse that's around 40 bpm. My Fitbit shows pulse form 50s to 80s, depending on my activity before checking the Fitbit.

In fairness, there are times when, based on taking my pulse using fingertips over pulse points, I have felt pulses around 40.

My electrophysiologist said that electronic devices are confused by the arrhythmias and don't count correctly.

If you have arrhythmias or other heart issues, have you encountered this same issue with your meter/monitor?

I'm not sure where to put this question, but Heart Talk seems like a good home for it.

I have some issues with arrhythmias. Although some have been addressed and resolved, I still have other issues - my heartbeat isn't regular there are pauses between beats, and other stuff is happening.

I've used a pulseoximeter to take my pulse, and it occasionally shows a pulse in the high 30s. I've just become the owner of two electronic blood pressure machines - and both show a pulse that's around 40 bpm. My Fitbit shows pulse form 50s to 80s, depending on my activity before checking the Fitbit.

In fairness, there are times when, based on taking my pulse using fingertips over pulse points, I have felt pulses around 40.

My electrophysiologist said that electronic devices are confused by the arrhythmias and don't count correctly.

If you have arrhythmias or other heart issues, have you encountered this same issue with your meter/monitor?

Attachments

• 97309829_627535477834149_256972115272531968_n.jpg
    97309829_627535477834149_256972115272531968_n.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 188
Your cardiologist is right, the photo is mine and yesterday I went to my nephew who is also my cardiologist.
My pulse was 58 and he told me that the pressure gauges and oximeters are detuned by the arrhythmia.

Sometimes the old methods are best -- two fingers to a pulse point, and a moving second hand, and the results are accurate. (If the power goes out on my pulse oximeter and no oxygen levels or pulse show up, does this mean that I'm dead?)

Latest posts

Back