Preparing to go wireless...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan B

Well my wire removal surgery is this coming Tuesday (with pre-op on Monday). Even though this should be no big deal I still have a few butterflies going. I think the nerves are more for what happens if this doesn't help than going through the surgery itself. I've really become worn down emotionally over the last few months with nothing but bad news in my life, so even though my surgeon has told me not to get my hopes up that this will fix my problems it's kind of hard not to. If this doesn't work I'm basically out of options and will have to re-evaluate my entire life including my career, hobbies, etc. He's already said that if it doesn't help my next option is the pain clinic. To me that says get prepared to live with the pain indefinitely. I'm driving back to NC tomorrow and don't know if I'll be checking in before Tuesday, so I'll see ya'll on the other side of the "hill".

Hi Brian -

Best of luck to you! Wireless is the way to go. Hopefully, it will bring you the relief you seek. Immediately following surgery, I felt a difference. And after heart surgery, this surgery is a piece of cake! Keep your chin up - perserverence is what often sets apart those who succeed.

Melissa

Why are you having the surgery?

Why are you having the surgery?

Bryan,

I wish you well on your surgery. What type of wire removal are you having and for what reason? I am just curious to find out problems others are having.

Thanks,
Gina

Bryan, have a safe trip and successful surgery. Just maybe this will do it! And if it doesn't it is surely worth the try. You will be on my heart and in my prayers.

Bryan,
I'm praying for a good out come for you. Hoping you surprise the doctor!

Bryan,
I don't post much these days, but I wanted to take a moment to wish you well with your upcoming surgery. I certainly hope this procedure does the trick and will be looking for your posts to see if it has the desired effect. I'll be pulling for you along with everyone else for a successful outcome!
Sue

Bryan, I hope the procedure relieves your discomfort and that you'll be able to focus more on living this beautiful life. You're in my prayers.

Bryan you will be at the top of my prayer list. I sure hope this solves your pain problem. Hugs are coming your way.

Hope All goes smoothly, Bryan

Hope All goes smoothly, Bryan

I am wishing you the best of care, the best of recovery, the best of humor, and most of all the best of peace. Harrybaby :D :D

P.S. Ross said if they don't treat you right, he will send out "The Boys" to get satisfaction....LOL :D :D :D

LOL Harry! :D Thanks everyone for the well wishes...it's nice to know I'll have some thoughts and prayers coming my way on Tuesday. I made great time and it was a beautiful day for driving, although it was a bit early to see the fall colors in the NC mountains. Hopefully they will be on display on my way back in a couple of weeks. Of course the almost 8 hour drive didn't do much good for my sternum, but the traffic wasn't too bad so I was able to keep it on cruise much of the time and shift my hands around a lot on the steering wheel. I feel a bit better being at "home" again. I got the usual exuberant greeting from the dog and got a good facial cleaning from her. :D I drove home for my OHS and this drive home brought back some of the memories of how I was feeling back then. Something about a long drive by yourself gives you lots of time to think about things, and I think I'm in a better frame of mind now than I have been the last couple of weeks.

Thanks Again!

Hi Gina,

I've been having chronic sternum pain since about 8 weeks post-op. My surgeon has narrowed it down to either the wires used to hold the sternum together rubbing against my chest wall, or costochondritis (inflamed cartilage that connects your ribs to your sternum), or both. We have tried anti-inflammatories, narcotic pain killers, and steroids. All have helped somewhat, but the NSAID's gave me stomach problems and the pain has come back every time I have come off of the pain killers and/or steroids. By removing the wires we will eliminate one of the possible causes of the pain.

B,
As a fellow wireless, I am sure it will help in some of the pain category.
When you think of the wires as twisty ties, certainly they will irritate more than a few OH patients.
Mine was done as outpatient, took only 20 minutes, but then I had to wake up, so it added up to a few hours.
Remember, stiffness and soreness afterward. It surprised me, as I thought wires out , no problem. My surgeon said when they pull em, it lifts you off the table, hense we have to be 'out' for the procedure!
Don't be too nervous , it really is nothing to the docs, and leaves just 1/4 inch scars, which are invisible after they heal.

Gail

You're sounding good Brian. Nothing like 'doggie kisses' to lift the spirits! :) :) :)

Hoping for the best possible outcome from your 'fix'.

'AL'

Bryan,

You sound like you're in good spirits. We wish you the best and hope that this operation "does it" for you and gets rid of that lingering pain. I haven't had any problems at all from my little twistie ties, so I guess I will continue to be old fashioned ("wired") unlike you and Melissa.

Say HI to your folks for us while you're there - and, of course, to Abby, too.

Hi Bryan -

I hope it goes well for you! I'm nearly one year post-op and I still have one bad rib on my lower right side where the cartilage is dislocated, or maybe the inflammation that you described. It seems like it's just about to heal for me and then I lift something heavy or lean over in an odd way (like scrubbing out a bathtub) or something like that and then the pain is set off again. Even a tech poking around on it several weeks ago with his echo instrument hurt it a lot! It's not nearly as bad as it used to be though, because it used to be agonizingly painful just to laugh! And I laugh a lot! Best wishes!

Hi Bryan

Hi Bryan

I'm glad you made it back to N.C...The weather has been beautiful...The leaves are turning in the higher regions of N.C. and I am sure..in a few weeks on your trip back home. You will see some beautiful foliage. :) Praying that your trip will be pain free. Will be thinking of you Tuesday.. Bonnie

Gail - thanks for that visual I got going now where the surgeon has one foot on my chest and pulling like hell on the wire with a pair of pliers. ;)

Al - poodle kisses cure ALMOST anything. :)

Bob - believe it or not I'm one of the few people on earth that still doesn't have a cell phone, so I don't have to worry about losing my reception when I lose the wires. :D

My biggest concern now is that I've had a little bit of a sore throat the last few mornings (has gone away each day), and I had a bout of diarrhea this evening. I'm hoping it's just my allergies and nerves acting up. Thanks for your kind words and humor...it really helps. :)

See you soon!

See you soon!

Hi Brian, I know that you must be feeling a bit worried about the whole thing, but by what you've described to us, nothing can be worse than this terrible pain you've been having. I hope everything works out well in the end and that you're soon back here. By the way, at least you'll get away from your new neighbour, the spider. Take care, I'll remember you in my prayers!

Débora

Hi Bryan, If all else fails try homeopathic help. Steve has osteopathy which is a gentle holding, pressing and adjusting of nerves, muscles or whatever. Steve was VERY sceptical but has had total relief after one visit. He now goes to his practioner without hesitation. He went with shoulder and chest pain ( having had many cortisone injections) and is now great. There is no cracking of bones or anything sinister. I have no idea how it works, bit it does. Maybe it is worth a try for you. Steve is still wired, and now painless. Good luck anyway

Latest posts

Back