Pregnancy After Mitral Valve Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations!!! Dr. Cosgrove is going to be repairing my mitral valve in about 6 weeks. I'm hoping the pregnancy is an OPTIONAL part of his post-op!!! Glad to know life truly does go on after surgery! (Just don't name him "Delos" if you have another boy.)

PegB said:
Congratulations!!! Dr. Cosgrove is going to be repairing my mitral valve in about 6 weeks. I'm hoping the pregnancy is an OPTIONAL part of his post-op!!! Glad to know life truly does go on after surgery! (Just don't name him "Delos" if you have another boy.)
Call him Toby, that's what all the others call him.

Ross,

Ross,

I am SO afraid that I am going to slip and call him TOBY!!! I just picture myself in some sort of sedated babble raving about "Toby", while the rest of the staff is having a good laugh. That is if I ever even get to meet the man. Think I will try to stay awake until he comes into the OR like ChristinaL. did.

Jill only met him after the surgery -- he visited her in Intensive Care. She couldn't muster any more than a "thank you."

I never saw him at all. Just one phone conversation during which he told me that Jill was fixed and that he was very pleased with the results. I was so happy I couldn't talk at all.

Congratulations on your expected baby. I hope and pray that everything will work out well for your wife and family. Valve Repair and pregnancy? Sorry can't help you there. ;)

Willow

-----------------------------------------------
January 1993 MV Repair
August 1993 MV Replacement
September 1999 - delivered Healthy Preemie Boy
September 1999 - MV Replacement
December 26, 2006 - Due Date, anticipating Healthy Girl

Willow:

I just read your profile and your other posts... What you've already experienced dwarfs anything that we've had to endure.

I hope everything continues to go well for you and your husband. I'm not a bit religious, but I'll say a prayer for you all tonight.

All the best.

Christian

Christian,

My warped sense of humor made it's debut on the site. I don't want to diminish in any way what you and your wife are experiencing with this pregnancy. It is definitely serious and I hope no misunderstandings were experienced due to my joking. I hope you have a good team of doctors behind you. I have enough religion for both of us, and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Good luck to you and your wife,
Willow

----------------------------------------------------------
January 1993 - MV Repair
August 1993 - MV Replacement (St. Jude)
September 1999 - Delivered Healthy Preemie Son
September 1999 - MV Replacement (St. Jude)
December 26, 2006 - Due Date, anticipating Healthy Baby Girl

waltsmom said:
Christian,

My warped sense of humor made it's debut on the site. I don't want to diminish in any way what you and your wife are experiencing with this pregnancy. It is definitely serious and I hope no misunderstandings were experienced due to my joking.

I understood. No worries. I've been around message boards long enough (almost 17 years) to distinguish a joke from a poke. :)

Haven't dropped in here for a while. I hope everyone's well.

Jill's 14 weeks pregnant now, and everything has been totally normal. Nothing to report but smooth sailing.

It's hard coming back here sometimes.... Reading the threads is like a reality check: "My wife had heart surgery. We actually went through all of this."

Anyway, Jill's one year anniversary went by and we didn't even notice it. Her valve repair is still a complete success and she's had no issues.

Our baby is a daughter. We've passed the halfway point of the pregnancy and everything is normal. We've named her, but I'll save that for later. We consider ourselves very (VERY) fortunate to be gifted with both a son and a daughter after all of the problems that Jill had.

Congratulations, Christian, and it is good to hear from you. You are indeed lucky to have such good fortune in your life and we are also lucky to have you as a member. Thank you for the positive information you bring to this site.

I will pray that things continue to go well.

Christian!!!!

So good to see you post ... Glad to know Jill's pregnancy is normal thus far ... excellent news!

Sure hope we can meet up again when I'm in PA in August 2007 ... was cool to meet you last August :).

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html
"Every song, another scene" ... Dierks Bently ... 'Every Mile A Memory'

Thanks for checking in Christian. Congratulations on your girl and continued health to Jill and the baby as the pregnancy continues.

Hello everyone. Haven't been back since my last post. Jill's about to start week 29. We've had no heart-related complications at all. I'll have to start painting things pink in a few weeks. *sigh*

For those of you that remember our first pregnancy, Colin is doing great. He's now two years, three months old. He's a wonderful little kid. He's been talking regularly in full sentences for about six months, which was somewhat of a surprise. On the other hand, he still can't run (he just fastwalks and motors his arms rigorously, as if that makes some sort of a difference), which makes catching up with him a lot easier than it should be at this age. All in all, we consider ourselves to be very lucky.

Good to hear from you Christian and happy to hear all is going well. Boy, it's hard to believe Colin is over 2 as it just seems like yesterday when we were hearing about the pregnancy and then seeing Colin's first pictures. Scary how time flies.

Looking forward to seeing all the pink in the pictures to come.

CHRISTIAN!

Good to see you post, bud! Sounds like things are going well for you. Sure hope I'm able to meet up with you guys when I'm in PA again this coming August.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Seems like it's been forever that you've been gone" ... Fort Minor ... 'Where'd You Go?'

Christian - thanks so much for checking in. I'm happy to hear that things are going so well for Jill in her post-valve repair pregnancy.

oh, I'm so glad to see you Christian and know that all is well with all of you, especially Jill. Give her our very best and let her know that we impatiently await the birth of our little girl - right along with y'all.

Colin will get there when he's ready. Then you'll never catch him! I know he's such a joy.

Well, we're in week 36 -- one month to go. Not much has happened. Somewhere between week 20 and week 30 the increased blood volume that's caused by the pregnancy gave rise to a louder murmur that indicated "mild" regurgitation, but the doctor seemed to think that things will simply revert back to normal (trace regurgitation) after the delivery. The regurgitation was "trace" at week 10 and week 15. Pregnancy almost always causes an increase in heart murmurs.

Our daughter is due on April 11. Jill has only gained 17 pounds, but the baby is normal in size and weight.

Latest posts

Back