Pregnancy After Mitral Valve Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking by the smile at least one other person her beside labguides daughter is preg after MVR? congrads :) I don't know if you ever checked the adults w/ chd group but you could look there in addition to VR.com Lyn

Yup, no flies on us here Christian. Judging from another post you made recently, and now this thread, either you're in the planning stages, or the bun is in the oven.:D

Yes, I was being deliberately obtuse for no good reason... We're about two weeks pregnant. Ironically, that's too early to tell the people we know well, but not too early to tell people on an Internet message board. You gotta love the 21st century.

We expect no issues (this will be far less risky than the last one) but it would still be nice to hear from anyone who's walked down this particular road.

I see a BUS for transportation in your future. Have you two figured out just what causes this condition? :D

What exciting news. I hope you are able to find some guidance from others who have been through this after a MV repair. I am sure everything will go fine but I understand the desire for some extra support.
Thanks for sharing.

Christian, I had two pregnancies after a mitral valve repair. I had a mitral commissurotomy in Sept. 1974, and became pregnant in the summer of 1975. I had an uneventful pregnancy and delivered a full-term daughter in March 1976. I was followed weekly by my OB just to be on the safe side as I had lost twins in 1973 before my mitral repair. I then delivered twin boys in August 1978. I developed atrial fibrillation during this pregnancy and was restricted during my last four months of pregnancy. I didn't have to stay in bed, but the cardio said I wasn't even allowed to sweep the floor. Of course, we had a two year old which kept me busy, but she was a really good toddler and could occupy herself on the floor with any toy while I laid on the sofa. By the way, our second set of twins were born only two weeks early and were very healthy...6lbs.6ozs. and 5lbs.12ozs. Even with that, I only gained 27 pounds with the twin pregnancy and 19 pounds with our daughter. I'm sure that helped where my heart was concerned. I can't recall what heart meds. I was on at the time, though. Congratulations to you both! Keep us informed on how your wife is doing. LINDA

Christian, your secret is safe with us. We won't tell a soul!:D

Congratulations and best wishes.

Congrats! So happy for you and your wife! My husband I and I look forward to hearing how things progress. We are planning on having another one as soon as I am feeling fully recovered.

Linda (twinmaker), No wonder your name is twinmaker! Did I understand correctly that you have concieved three sets of twins?? (with one set being miscarried) Were they identical or faternal? That is so amazing! I have a friend who had one little girl and then two sets of twins 18 months apart. She has five kids under five. Her husband is in surgical residency right now. I don't know how she does it!

Janea, we had two sets of identical twin boys. The first set was born when I was almost 6 months pregnant, and they were too small to survive. With two of my three pregnancies being twins, we weren't brave enough to see what a 4th pregnancy would bring!:D LINDA

Ross said:
I see a BUS for transportation in your future. Have you two figured out just what causes this condition? :D

Fortunately for us, fertility has not been a problem. On both occasions, we've sat down to talk, decided we were ready to have a child, had dinner, and then made the child. We're literaly batting-a-thousand. Kind of nice to be good at something from a medical perspective for a change...

But two is probably enough for us. Every one involves a roll of the dice, and as the old saying goes, "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." I'm content with "fat," thank you very much.

twinmaker said:
Christian, I had two pregnancies after a mitral valve repair. I had a mitral commissurotomy in Sept. 1974, and became pregnant in the summer of 1975. I had an uneventful pregnancy and delivered a full-term daughter in March 1976. I was followed weekly by my OB just to be on the safe side as I had lost twins in 1973 before my mitral repair. I then delivered twin boys in August 1978. I developed atrial fibrillation during this pregnancy and was restricted during my last four months of pregnancy. I didn't have to stay in bed, but the cardio said I wasn't even allowed to sweep the floor. Of course, we had a two year old which kept me busy, but she was a really good toddler and could occupy herself on the floor with any toy while I laid on the sofa. By the way, our second set of twins were born only two weeks early and were very healthy...6lbs.6ozs. and 5lbs.12ozs. Even with that, I only gained 27 pounds with the twin pregnancy and 19 pounds with our daughter. I'm sure that helped where my heart was concerned. I can't recall what heart meds. I was on at the time, though. Congratulations to you both! Keep us informed on how your wife is doing. LINDA

Thank you for your story. Have you had surgeries since?

Christian, I had my mitral valve replaced with a St. Jude mechanical in 1981. We were told when the repair was done that it wouldn't last. The repair bought us some time to have our babies. LINDA

Latest posts

Back