Pre-Surgery Workup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

We're off to Cleveland in the morning for Jill's Pre-Surgery workup. We'll come back home for the weekend and then return to Cleveland on Monday. What goes on during these types of things? Anything odd that we should expect?

Minor good news today. Dr. Cosgrove says that the odds that he can repair Jill's valve are "at least 90-95%."

Best that I can remember, it consisted of blood work, chest xray, ekg, signing paper work and talking to various people- nurse practitioners, anestheseiologist, etc. Will Jill be having a cath?
Good news about the repair- we will be thinking of all of you and waiting for all good reports.
Best wishes to you,
Phyllis

Christian,

Christian,

I can't remember exactly what I went through with the preop workup (Wayne could tell you) - I was on automatic pilot pre-surgery.

Anyway, the Cleveland Clinic runs like a well-oiled machine - you will be two people in a throng of people being sent here and there for the testing, but it all runs very, very smoothly. It is just a pain. Shop in the gift shop, have a treat from the cafeteria to break up the monotony, help Jill to get her mind off of things by buying her her favorite magazine, etc.

Christian, I just think you are a DOLL. You are such a loving husband and father, I can tell. Jill is so lucky to have you.

Wayne was my rock also. I couldn't have gone through it all without him.

As for Dr. Cosgrove's odds of repairing the valve - those are very good! I could almost be sure that Jill will have a successful repair.

Take time to laugh tomorrow. :) Everything is going to be okay.

Christina L

Christian said:
Minor good news today. Dr. Cosgrove says that the odds that he can repair Jill's valve are "at least 90-95%."

That sounds like MAJOR good news to me!

Excellent prognosis. In addition to all the tests, don't forget the insurance card!!! And they will probably ask you about an Advanced Directive or Living Will. They do like to have their bases covered.

Cris

pre -surgery work up

pre -surgery work up

When I went to Cleveland, I had to have blood work, x-ray, and echo.
They also did a TEE and a catscan. Has she had a TEE done yet. It probaly depends on the indiviual case. I know bloodwork, x-ray and echo are pretty standard, I think. Great news that he can most likely repair the valve. Its great to have a supporative husband. My husband was with me all the way with my last surgery.

Preop

Preop

I had blood work, history done by anesthesiologist, ht, wt, chest x-ray, had to get a prescription for a med that is used to prevent infection. They use it in Balt, don't know about the others. It is an ointment put in the nose prior to and after surgery for several days. (Bactroban) We also were required to watch a video about OHS but we already had a copy at home so the just checked that off. University of Maryland has a very organized preop program. I know CC does as well.
We also checked out the cafeteria for future reference for my husband and took a walk around the new part of the lobby which is really lovely. Don't know Cleveland but as has been said "stop and smell the roses". Enjoy the trip as much as possible. Just remember it will lead Jill to a new and long life.
Joanne

Christian,
I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic just a couple of months ago and I was really impressed with the presurgery testing. The nurses, techs, doctors - everyone was extremely kind and (perhaps more importantly) on time. One tip I can offer - you've likely been given a long schedule with many different appointments on it. I found that for some of those (like chest x-ray, EKG, carotid check, etc) the appointment time is very flexible. So, if you have an hour break in your schedule before your next appointment, you can often get a later test done during that time and get out earlier in the day. It doesn't always work - Dr's and pulmonary functions seemed set in stone. Also, the care I received there after my surgery was fabulous. I don't think I ever waited more than 5 minutes for a nurse. Best of luck! Kate

Thanks for all the information everyone. It just looks like Jill's having a regular echo, an EKG, and some bloodwork, followed by a bunch of meetings (we finally got the full schedule yesterday). I hope the CC moves as smoothly for us as it has for some of you. If not, at least we have the new iPod. :)

Hope all goes well for Jill and you manage to somehow relax with your beautiful little boy for the weekend ready for next week!
Love Emma
xxx

Best wishes to you and Jill as you approach her surgery. She is having her surgery at the best place possible and by the best surgeon, both reasons to be confident. Hopefully, she will be able to come out of it with a repair. We will keep you both in our thoughts and prayers over the next several days.

Everything went pretty smoothly in Cleveland. It was basically a day full of waiting.

We're both relaxed and ready to put this behind us. It's really out of our hands now -- we've done everything that we can do to make this right.

Glad things went smoothly. You have done everything possible now and I am glad that you both are at peace with your decisions. Enjoy the weekend and we will be thinking of you and eagerly awaiting your good news on Tuesday! :)

Just want to say again that I will be thinking of you and your family on Tues. It will be nice for Jill to have the surgery over and start recovering. One step at a time, one day at a time.
Joanne
PS- please keep us posted as to what is going on.

Latest posts

Back