Pre-Surgery mind games

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 57, and thought I was fit as a fiddle...in fact I have had trouble convincing people that this is really true.
I know what you mean ! I am fit as a fiddle, I had to stop the weight training I was doing when the cardiologist said my pressure gradient had reached the number it is now, even though I had no problems lifting really heavy weights. I was very disappointed. I am now lifting light weights to try and keep strong as I know that will help post-operatively. I also walk about four miles a day. I tell people that surgery is done before the effect of the bicuspid valve causes damage to the heart, but even so I find it impossible to convince myself of that. But ever since surgery date was fixed I have been getting terrible pounding of my heart which I've been told is 'fight or flight' instinct but which gives me niggling doubts about what's going on.

Last edited:
I was a wreck when I came in on Tuesday for my scheduled surgery.going through all the pre-op stuff and waiting for most of the day before they told me to go home and come back in two days didn't help my cause any. But when I did come back, it seemed easier. Once they start the preparations, it gets real, and I was fine with that. Not to say it'd be easy to do all over again, but once i "gave up fighting" it and playing the mind games, it really was better.

I asked the surgeon if there was video or photos during surgery and she said a very irritated "no". Is surgery normally videoed ? Who took your photo in ICU ? I had thought to ask my husband but I think he would feel embarrassed to bring in a camera if it's not 'normal'. For me it would help me to see how I was when unconscious and help validate the experience. Video of surgery would be even better.

I had my wife bring her camera and she took pictures of me right out of surgery. Took a few months before I looked at them, but I look at them now and just say "wow" what an experience.

I rarely look at the pix of me in ICU, but I'm glad I have them to refer to. Otherwise, that time would feel like some kind of long, weird dream.

Back