Pre-surgery exercise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris Green

Hi all,

I have raised this before, but I am always open for new insights.

I imagine there are not that many pre-surgery members that are exercising, I hope I am proved wrong.

I have mild aortic regurgitation, and have been told to exercise in the aerobic zone at the maximum, and not to undertake competitive sport, or run half or full marathons. I do as he says, and actually quote enjoy this lower intensity exercise now (I was a rugby player).

I'm just wondering what advice people had received pre-op.

Regards to you all.
Chris

Hi Chris Green!

We have another Chris around here (ccrawford), so I'll be specific.

I'm also pre-surgery, for probably bicuspid aortic valve with moderate aortic stenosis. I'm in my middle 50's and have been a recreational jogger for over 20 years. I have discussed exercise with my cardiologist, and he is pretty open to any aerobic/cardio-vascular exercise. Running, swimming, walking all are fine -- just don't over-do it. He does not subscribe to any pre-ordained maximum heart rate formula, and I've described to him that I usually run my rate up into the 150's and even 160 during my runs. He says as long as it feels good, then do it.

The one area in which he placed some restrictions is that of weight training. No heavy weights, period. That is because he does not want me raising my blood pressure too much when lifting. We have set a practical limit at 40-50 lbs., and I can do as many repetitions as I am able. So, I do my weight machine work in sets that total 50 reps each at 40-50 lbs. on each machine. I'll never be Arnold, but then I don't want to be that large.

I do also watch my exercise tolerance carefully, as well as my weight. If I see a change in my running speed, heart rate or distance ability that lasts over a couple of days, or if I suddenly begin gaining weight with no visible cause (holding water?), then I'm under instructions to call the cardio and get in to see him.

I'm no marathoner, but I still do enjoy an active lifestyle -- and will continue to do so as long as I can.

Stay with us -- and welcome to The Waiting Room.

Hi Chris - Welcome to VR.com. I didn't know there were so many Chris's. My cardio wanted me to exercise presurgery at least 3 times a week keeping my heart rate elevated for at least 30 minutes each time. I usually did more than that in the form of walking and indoor biking on my Trek trainer. I kept fairly concise records of my progress on both the bike and my measured walking course. Being a typical type "A", I expected my performance to get better and it actually did for awhile, then I hit a plateau. A couple of weeks before my surgery (aortic valve replacement and single bypass) my performance started dropping off significantly. I felt myself stopping 6 times to rest in order to complete a walk to our mailbox 1/4 mile from the house. I promptly notified my cardio of the changes as they occurred and this set up another round of tests and eventually surgery. My point of all this is please keep aware of your performance and don't be affraid to let your cardio know what is changing. In the meantime, keep up the exercise and get to know your way around the web site. There are some super people here including my buddy Steve who is the undisputed king of the waiting room. Chris Crawford

Exercise before surgery

Exercise before surgery

Chris,

I'm pre-surgery for AVR. I still run about 10 - 15 miles per week and swim about 4,000 yards (per week).

I just had my lastest echocardiogram on Tuesday. Although I'm stilll waiting for the official results, I obtained some preliminary information during the test. LVEDD was 7.0 cm, Ejection Fraction was 63%. No significant change from one year ago. I was diagnosed with AI (moderate / severe regurgitation) about 3 years ago . . .

My current running pace is about 8 minutes per mile (over a 5 mile course). Hope this helps!
Buzz

Thanks for your replies,

Some very useful information. Good to see that you can keep going even at moderate/severe. I'm still ranked mild, having actually been downgraded from moderate(work that one out!!).

Also good to know that the 160's aren't a no go area. I tend to aim for 147 (I'm 37), and have a heart rate monitor and biofeedback from the exercise machines. So any changes won't go unnoticed.

I am a reformed type "A", as you call it, and laugh at the overweight, early middle aged people who take on the 1000 metre rowing challenge at the gym I attend. Trying to kill themselves to prove they haven't lost it!

I used to exercise at the max for rugby, and it took a while to readjust. But now I am used to it it makes exercise much more pleasurable. It now re-energises rather than knackers me.

Has any of you had advice with regards the length of time you can exercise? I was advised against half marathons.

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris,
I have just been to see my cariologist and I am waiting on a decision whether it is time for a new valve or not. I have moderate regugitation (aortic) and I have known about it for 16 years. My heart has started to enlarge at a greater rate but the cardiologist said to carry on doing what I normally do. I asked the specific question "Can I still run and compete in fell races etc." and his reply was "If that is what you normally do!". I am running about 30 miles/week and swimming 5 miles. I feel OK but I have started to notice a slight shortness of breath first thing in the morning. I think this is because I am now aware that the operation is due at some point in the not too distant future and I am allowing myself to recognise some of the symptoms. I have just got back from a 7 mile run during my lunch hour. I feel that keeping the exercise going helps me feel OK about what will happen soon.

All the best

Martin

Back