Pre-surgery exercise recommendations (strength training)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meathead TV

How does one figure out pre-surgery exercise recommendations? I've been trying to do it for over 10 years but the more I look into it, the less I know.

Every year a different cardiologist has a different opinion. 10 years ago I was told to not lift over 45 lbs, which is a ridiculous statement and I haven't followed that guideline obviously. Last year I was told I can lift heavy weights just avoid doing max bench presses or deadlifts. Some year anything over 10 reps is okay and another year anything over 6 reps. But what if I can do 10 reps on bench press with 330 lbs? That does seem a bit heavy and I wouldn't do it anymore. 6 hard reps on deadlift is extremely heavy too.

I usually get into some kind of training routine and at some point I notice the weights keep getting heavier and I start freaking out about going too heavy. Then I look into it and just find myself in the same limbo.

Maxing out is off the table, I understand. Probably a good idea to not hold your breath too much, understood. But what is too heavy?

A scenario where I don't lift weights is not an option and luckily for the most part cardiologists haven't suggested that.

After my last annual check-up last fall I've noticed I've been going heavier than I have many years. This is only because the cardiologist didn't seem too worried about it and basically just recommended I don't do max lifts. How can the cardiologists guidelines and opinions vary so much?

After my last annual check-up last fall I've noticed I've been going heavier than I have many years. This is only because the cardiologist didn't seem too worried about it and basically just recommended I don't do max lifts. How can the cardiologists guidelines and opinions vary so much?
Cardios do worry about patients who gain weight and refers them to dieticians and recommend exercise. Walking is the best exercise. You may want to try diet changes and walking.

How does one figure out pre-surgery exercise recommendations? I've been trying to do it for over 10 years but the more I look into it, the less I know.

Every year a different cardiologist has a different opinion. 10 years ago I was told to not lift over 45 lbs, which is a ridiculous statement and I haven't followed that guideline obviously. Last year I was told I can lift heavy weights just avoid doing max bench presses or deadlifts. Some year anything over 10 reps is okay and another year anything over 6 reps. But what if I can do 10 reps on bench press with 330 lbs? That does seem a bit heavy and I wouldn't do it anymore. 6 hard reps on deadlift is extremely heavy too.

I usually get into some kind of training routine and at some point I notice the weights keep getting heavier and I start freaking out about going too heavy. Then I look into it and just find myself in the same limbo.

Maxing out is off the table, I understand. Probably a good idea to not hold your breath too much, understood. But what is too heavy?

A scenario where I don't lift weights is not an option and luckily for the most part cardiologists haven't suggested that.

My understanding is that bracing and the valsalva maneuver are the risk: anything that will send your blood pressure through the roof carries the risk of creating stenosis, worsening regurgitation, etc. I'm not sure if weightlifting like that can cause stenosis per se, but my regurgitation got much worse in my twenties, possibly in part because of the heavy 5-1RM stuff I was doing in the weight room.

I've had a valve replaced and I go to the gym now, but I just keep it in the 15-20 rep range. Never hold my breath, never brace, always breathing. Safety first for me.

Cardios do worry about patients who gain weight and refers them to dieticians and recommend exercise. Walking is the best exercise. You may want to try diet changes and walking.
I was probably unclear, I've been doing heavier lifting, not getting heavier. This is because the cardiologist didn't seem worried about lifting heavier weights.

I do walk but I don't really consider it an exercise. I always wear a 45 lbs vest and take my dog for 1-2 hour walks. It's not hard or fatiguing. I don't have time to add more hours into walking..

My diet is pretty solid to the point that my wife is giving me a hard time for never eating the same foods. :)

My understanding is that bracing and the valsalva maneuver are the risk: anything that will send your blood pressure through the roof carries the risk of creating stenosis, worsening regurgitation, etc. I'm not sure if weightlifting like that can cause stenosis per se, but my regurgitation got much worse in my twenties, possibly in part because of the heavy 5-1RM stuff I was doing in the weight room.

I've had a valve replaced and I go to the gym now, but I just keep it in the 15-20 rep range. Never hold my breath, never brace, always breathing. Safety first for me.
This is the advice I've been mostly following for years but I do lift in lower rep ranges than 15-20. I avoid certain compound movements which without a doubt place more pressure on the heart. Isolation exercises I think it's pretty safe to go harder on.

Hi

I was probably unclear, I've been doing heavier lifting, not getting heavier. This is because the cardiologist didn't seem worried about lifting heavier weights.
I didn't see aneurysm in your post, but it is in your bio. A rupture and death from that is a major concern. So if exercise is for health and being dead isn't a concern then keep going heavier.

I do walk but I don't really consider it an exercise.

You should, because tons of evidence makes the health benefits pretty clear.
I always wear a 45 lbs vest and take my dog for 1-2 hour walks. It's not hard or fatiguing. I don't have time to add more hours into walking..
So you do walking.. If your climbing and running then that naturally puts strain in the aortic artery. Aneurysm is called colloquially the silent killer because it gives no indication before it rips and you bleed to death inside your chest cavity.

What diameter was your artery at on the last measurement?

Best wishes

They really don't know, because everyones progression rate is very different and is hard or impossible to establish in a concrete person, even having a history of measurements. They only know that probably high blood pressure accelerates dilation of the aorta.

I do walk but I don't really consider it an exercise. I always wear a 45 lbs vest and take my dog for 1-2 hour walks. It's not hard or fatiguing. I don't have time to add more hours into walking..

My diet is pretty solid to the point that my wife is giving me a hard time for never eating the same foods. :)

This is the advice I've been mostly following for years but I do lift in lower rep ranges than 15-20. I avoid certain compound movements which without a doubt place more pressure on the heart. Isolation exercises I think it's pretty safe to go harder on.
One to two hours walks, are walks dude. When one walks, you burn calories and having a cardio vascular workout. Good you do safe workout.

Latest posts

Back