Pre-surgery consultation - list of questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friendly resource if needed

Hi Jason-
I am 14 days post op and feeling better than I have in years, though in hind sight there are many things I would have done differently. Sounds like you are in good hands and well prepared. I had several folks reach out to me but I only communicated with them via email. Now I wish I would have spoken to them live, which is why I'm posting my phone number (scary!). Feel free to call me any time if you want to discuss my experiences...I'm a 37 year old male, just had AVR and ARR. My recovery has been better than textbook, yet there were surprises for me and my family.

Wishing you the best!

Phil, Removed phone number for members own safety-Ross
I'd like to know about your surprises especially since I live overseas and insurance won't cover everything so I'm going to have to pay 100% cash thanks

Hi Jason-
I am 14 days post op and feeling better than I have in years, though in hind sight there are many things I would have done differently. Sounds like you are in good hands and well prepared. I had several folks reach out to me but I only communicated with them via email. Now I wish I would have spoken to them live, which is why I'm posting my phone number (scary!). Feel free to call me any time if you want to discuss my experiences...I'm a 37 year old male, just had AVR and ARR. My recovery has been better than textbook, yet there were surprises for me and my family.

Wishing you the best!

Phil, Removed phone number for members own safety-Ross
Any surprises to share that would assist those of us who are still pre surgery ? Would you have asked different questions ? Happy healing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any surprises to share that would assist those of us who are still pre surgery ? Would you have asked different questions ? Happy healing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried to compile what I found out here. There are a few things I would've done differently in terms of preparations (Would've shaved more, got a water pick and shower chair ahead of time, etc.)

I tried to compile what I found out here. There are a few things I would've done differently in terms of preparations (Would've shaved more, got a water pick and shower chair ahead of time, etc.)
This is great, I would've definitely shaved my arms to avoid tape from IV's, etc.... portions were shaved anyway from heart cath, etc..., so wouldn't have been a big deal.
I didn't anticipate needing a shower chair or walker when I returned home, we had to scramble and luckily a neighbor had one we could borrow. The shower chair, especially, I don't recall using the walker.
Have some compression socks purchased ahead of time, easy from Amazon.
Do research on INR if going on warfarin, finding our cranberry juice was on the list was a bummer for me.
Get details on your prescription refills and who is responsible after 30 days, save the headache.
Have your home laid out furniture-wise how you'll want it for your recovery so coming home is fairly turn-key

We called the 24 hour post op nurse a few times, don't be shy about doing that if you have concerns or questions.

Reactions: V__
This is great, I would've definitely shaved my arms to avoid tape from IV's, etc.... portions were shaved anyway from heart cath, etc..., so wouldn't have been a big deal.
I didn't anticipate needing a shower chair or walker when I returned home, we had to scramble and luckily a neighbor had one we could borrow. The shower chair, especially, I don't recall using the walker.
Have some compression socks purchased ahead of time, easy from Amazon.
Do research on INR if going on warfarin, finding our cranberry juice was on the list was a bummer for me.
Get details on your prescription refills and who is responsible after 30 days, save the headache.
Have your home laid out furniture-wise how you'll want it for your recovery so coming home is fairly turn-key

We called the 24 hour post op nurse a few times, don't be shy about doing that if you have concerns or questions.
I drink cranberry juice on warfarin. A glass every two days or so does not effect my INR.

Latest posts

Back